FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

 View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage
 
324 Vote(s)
31.21%
Saving battery
 
226 Vote(s)
21.77%
Increasing privacy
 
499 Vote(s)
48.07%
Blocking ads
 
685 Vote(s)
65.99%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

17,173 posts
Thanks Meter: 35,272
 
By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th May 2019, 01:17 AM |#9141  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Opps.. thanks missed that.

Hopefully there's a way to unlock and root Huawei phones again so that a proper firewall can be used. :/
 
 
20th May 2019, 06:21 AM |#9142  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,272
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmith11

Opps.. thanks missed that.

Hopefully there's a way to unlock and root Huawei phones again so that a proper firewall can be used. :/

NetGuard is a proper firewall and the FAQ explains that you should enable the Android always-on feature for your use case.
20th May 2019, 06:26 AM |#9143  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,272
 
More
Recently, I said that there maybe, just maybe would be a NetGuard II or NetGuard NG. Forget it. Handling the questions and remarks this morning totally changed my mind about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th May 2019, 04:10 PM |#9144  
Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I have just released beta version 2.245

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases

Thanks for your ongoing improvements. But this one will not work properly since you assigned the same package name android.dns to UID 1020 and to UID 1051... (same in Rule.java)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ines* For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ines* Ad-Free
20th May 2019, 05:07 PM |#9145  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,272
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ines*

Thanks for your ongoing improvements. But this one will not work properly since you assigned the same package name android.dns to UID 1020 and to UID 1051... (same in Rule.java)

Oops. i will fix this later this week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th May 2019, 05:30 PM |#9146  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Faster timeouts?
I'm testing NetGuard to control my mobile data usage and so far I'm pretty darn impressed with what I see, thanks a lot for all the work!

My question is about how the blocking of apps is implemented? It seems like the network requests from blocked apps just get eaten and time out. Is that correct?

The problem with that is that some apps can handle not having network and have different behavior in both modes, but are very sluggish and not very or not at all usable while requests are pending. Is there way to let the app know that there is no network, or to send a connection refused or similar response immediately instead of timing out? I tested with Quora (which just hangs) and Toy Blaze (which takes a long time to start up). Or did I just miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks!
20th May 2019, 06:11 PM |#9147  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,272
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkReiners

I'm testing NetGuard to control my mobile data usage and so far I'm pretty darn impressed with what I see, thanks a lot for all the work!

My question is about how the blocking of apps is implemented? It seems like the network requests from blocked apps just get eaten and time out. Is that correct?

The problem with that is that some apps can handle not having network and have different behavior in both modes, but are very sluggish and not very or not at all usable while requests are pending. Is there way to let the app know that there is no network, or to send a connection refused or similar response immediately instead of timing out? I tested with Quora (which just hangs) and Toy Blaze (which takes a long time to start up). Or did I just miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks!

NetGuard blocks internet traffic by not letting the SYN packet through, just as might happen on bad network connections. Any app should be prepared for this and if the app is not, you should consider this as a bug in the app.

Sending a connection reset is possible, but this will have side effects. Reporting a connection refused could be done too, although that is more complicated than it seems, but this will have side effects too.

Anyway, the current solution has been tested by lots of people and is known to work properly and without little or no side effects.
20th May 2019, 09:16 PM |#9148  
lukval's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

NetGuard is a proper firewall and the FAQ explains that you should enable the Android always-on feature for your use case.

Allways-on feature can't be enabled on Honor 9 (Oreo, Emui 8.0) the gear icon is missing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vpn_settings.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	4762560  
20th May 2019, 09:31 PM |#9149  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,272
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukval

Allways-on feature can't be enabled on Honor 9 (Oreo, Emui 8.0) the gear icon is missing

The always-on VPN should be available from Android 7 Nougat:

https://developer.android.com/guide/.../vpn#always-on
21st May 2019, 05:42 PM |#9150  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Recently, I said that there maybe, just maybe would be a NetGuard II or NetGuard NG. Forget it. Handling the questions and remarks this morning totally changed my mind about this.

If you're referring to my post, please accept my apology. Any frustration that I expressed was directed at Google/Android for limiting our control over the networking interfaces.

I didn't mean to insult your work on NetGuard. I think it's amazing what you've been able to make it do without root and find it to be a valuable addition to my phone.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukval

Allways-on feature can't be enabled on Honor 9 (Oreo, Emui 8.0) the gear icon is missing

It was missing as well on my Huawei Mate 20 X. I was able to force it on via adb (and could see "Always On VPN" next to the VPN name in the settings menu), but it broke all networking (except DNS lookup) on my phone, so I think Huawei may have hidden it because they broke it.

FYI, this is how I enabled it (followed by a reboot):

Code:
adb shell settings put secure always_on_vpn_app eu.faircode.netguard
adb shell settings put secure always_on_vpn_lockdown 1
The Following User Says Thank You to robsmith11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift robsmith11 Ad-Free
22nd May 2019, 10:43 AM |#9151  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,272
 
More
Good news: I have just made NetGuard working on my brand new Google Pixel 3a XL edit: with Android Q!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes