• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,
I recently bought the Netguard pro functionality.
Read that i need to use the github version to use the host file option, so i installed that version.

I own a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 phone, and now manually disabled some servers and apps.

I found a xda topic to use a blocklist with adaware.

https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/adaway-blocking-miui-calling-home-t3516119

Is there a way i can import these in Netguard easily?
Are these entries in the same format as in a hosts file?

Probably a nooby question, that someone here van help me without. :confused:

Greets AJ
You can import (additional) hosts files in the NetGuard backup settings.

Reactions: ajokay

netguarduser

Sep 17, 2016
Yes!, great news, thanks for sharing Marcel.

It looks like a new API called getConnectionOwnerUid will be added as an alternative to using /proc/net (this is the corresponding review), which won't be possible anymore on Android Q. I really hope this won't be revoked and that it will work properly and fast enough.

Edit: I have checked the Android source code and this solution should be more accurate and faster than the current NetGuard implementation, so this is really good news.

If you didn't already and are able to, please star this issue to increase the chance this will be in Android Q.

rakatylesc

Mar 21, 2019
Fürth
all connections blocked only by netguard

All connections blocked is a known problem for LineageOS on some devices. If you hadn't related blocking all to the Android always-on VPN, I had told you that right away ...
Now it got me too.
After updating my Samsung Note3 (hlte) to LinageOS 15.1, NetGuard blocks all connections when it is activated.
That lies however, according to my understanding, probably not basically at LineageOS 15.1, because Blokada and DNS66 VPNs work without this blockade.
How can I use NetGuard with LineageOS 15.1 on my Note 3 again?
This error with Lineage OS 15.1 and later should also be found in the description of NetGuard if it can not be fixed.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Now it got me too.
After updating my Samsung Note3 (hlte) to LinageOS 15.1, NetGuard blocks all connections when it is activated.
That lies however, according to my understanding, probably not basically at LineageOS 15.1, because Blokada and DNS66 VPNs work without this blockade.
How can I use NetGuard with LineageOS 15.1 on my Note 3 again?
This error with Lineage OS 15.1 and later should also be found in the description of NetGuard if it can not be fixed.
Everybody always says it is NetGuard, but it really isn't.

Intercepting DNS only is something else than intercepting all traffic

rakatylesc

Mar 21, 2019
Fürth
Everybody always says it is NetGuard, but it really isn't.

Intercepting DNS only is something else than intercepting all traffic

It is not an error that occurs with LineageOS, but only from LineageOS 15.1 and affects NetGuard, not e.g. Blokada and DNS66. With LineageOS 14.1, NetGuard ran smoothly on my Note 3.
I have also tested the "NoRootFirewall". Runs easily on the same device. In this app can also be blocked only individual apps.

fitittome

Jan 6, 2017
Cardiff
It is not an error that occurs with LineageOS, but only from LineageOS 15.1 and affects NetGuard, not e.g. Blokada and DNS66. With LineageOS 14.1, NetGuard ran smoothly on my Note 3.
I have also tested the "NoRootFirewall". Runs easily on the same device. In this app can also be blocked only individual apps.
It is a problem with klte and bacon devices (and maybe others) on LineageOS 15.1 and 16.0. Things were cool on 14.1. If you are running official, log a bug https://wiki.lineageos.org/bugreport-howto.html I'm running unofficial so cannot.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Still it is a bug in your LineageOS variant/version. NetGuard does not route traffic in the same way as the other apps. That it works on another version of LineageOS should be proof enough.

rakatylesc

Mar 21, 2019
Fürth
It is a problem with klte and bacon devices (and maybe others) on LineageOS 15.1 and 16.0. Things were cool on 14.1. If you are running official, log a bug ... I'm running unofficial so cannot.
There will be no official for note 3, so I am also on "unofficial".

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Still it is a bug in your LineageOS variant/version. NetGuard does not route traffic in the same way as the other apps. That it works on another version of LineageOS should be proof enough.
Too bad, always the same answer to read ... unfortunately no solutions. LineageOS 15.1 and higher will work with other no-root firewalls, so of course there will be no solution to a problem with NetGuard from there. What a pity...

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Too bad, always the same answer to read ... unfortunately no solutions. LineageOS 15.1 and higher will work with other no-root firewalls, so of course there will be no solution to a problem with NetGuard from there. What a pity...
Maybe you are smarter than me and you can fix it. The source code of NetGuard is available on GitHub.

Reactions: chantoine

rakatylesc

Mar 21, 2019
Fürth
Well contact the place you downloaded it from and see if the dev is smart enough to fix it. I think its a kernel problem with msm8974. Either way it's not Marcel's problem, leave him alone! ;)
Sorry for my little understanding of these things ... but ... ;)

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Maybe you are smarter than me and you can fix it. The source code of NetGuard is available on GitHub.
No, I'm certainly not smarter, but I'm just trying to get at it with my simple logic. If other no root firewalls (even really old apps) can do that, why not NetGuard.
But I see, I can not get on with this logic ...

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Sorry for my little understanding of these things ... but ... ;)

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

No, I'm certainly not smarter, but I'm just trying to get at it with my simple logic. If other no root firewalls (even really old apps) can do that, why not NetGuard.
But I see, I can not get on with this logic ...
Like I said, not all VPN apps route traffic in the same way.

For example: does any of the other apps have an option to allow LAN traffic? No, they don't.

Gerolianis

Nov 29, 2012
I remember having read about issues with Samsung devices ever since I am using Netguard (long time). Lineage OS 16 (unofficial) is compatible with Netguard on my Moto G6+. Lucky me...

gewe

Dec 21, 2008
Hello,

Today my phone (Motorola G5S Plus) received an OTA which upgraded it from Android 7.1.1 to 8.1.0. From that moment NetGuard blocked all traffic.
After reading in this thread and the Netguard FAQ, I still haven't found how to get NetGuard working the way it did with Android 7.1.1.
For those who are affected by the same problem: for the Moto G5S Plus the problem was solved after receiving the February 2019 update.
This means that not only NetGuard is working again, but also VPN in general..

Reactions: rakatylesc

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
Moto G 5G
A question about interpreting a notification.

This on a new unrooted phone using android pie. Github NetGuard pro installed, host file downloaded and installed.
Attached is the screenshot I have an interpretation question.

1. If internet and data access is denied in NetGuard does this mean that the 'access attempts' marked in red went into the vpn and thus nowhere?

Or do I need to do something else to block them?

2. If some are not red, can I block them from the 'access attempts' screen?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190322-150516.png
    Screenshot_20190322-150516.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_20190322-151353.png
    Screenshot_20190322-151353.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 164

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
A question about interpreting a notification.

This on a new unrooted phone using android pie. Github NetGuard pro installed, host file downloaded and installed.
Attached is the screenshot I have an interpretation question.

1. If internet and data access is denied in NetGuard does this mean that the 'access attempts' marked in red went into the vpn and thus nowhere?

Or do I need to do something else to block them?

2. If some are not red, can I block them from the 'access attempts' screen?

Thank you.
The traffic was blocked and is going nowhere.

You can tap on an address to block or allow it.

Reactions: maybeme2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.