• Blocking ads

Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ines*

Jan 19, 2019
I guess due to my stupidity and you overlooking this in the code review ;)
I did no code review before because I am unable to read and understand the green/red gitHub diff listings :( and always have to download all source code first ... which I try to avoid. This GitHub thing makes me crazy ... and no, I will not spend time on that. :)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I did no code review before because I am unable to read and understand the green/red gitHub diff listings :( and always have to download all source code first ... which I try to avoid. This GitHub thing makes me crazy ... and no, I will not spend time on that. :)
No worries, I will fix it.

As a side note: don't you like Italian pasta? lol.

Reactions: flyingsaucer75

houmles

Jul 30, 2008
Prague
OnePlus 7T Pro
I just updated and found out I can't ping from shell with last beta version 2.246.
Notification pops up to allow it but it points to application Shell with ID 2000 and it's empty.
Setting UDP filtering ON/OFF doesn't help.

EDIT: 2.247 same

Last edited:

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
Hallo
is it by any means possible to push the Google Play version to Google Play only at least one week later than at Github's?
I use the Github version with its hosts filter on my two devices and I have it also installed on my friends two devices.
Each time an update is coming on Github (which is very, very often!!!) I hurry up to update all four devices, in fear that in the meantime an automatic Google Update would overwrite the good Github versions with the bad GP Update, before my manual update.
It is unfortunately not an option to disable automatic updates on Google Play, which would make me even more work.
I love active developed apps, no question, but daily updates is really difficult.
Could you at least hold the Google Play Updates back for a while then?
I have not tested yet, how long it takes, till a Google Play Update is available though, as I always hurry up to update from Github. Maybe its already a week back?
Thanks.
Frank

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hallo
is it by any means possible to push the Google Play version to Google Play only at least one week later than at Github's?
I use the Github version with its hosts filter on my two devices and I have it also installed on my friends two devices.
Each time an update is coming on Github (which is very, very often!!!) I hurry up to update all four devices, in fear that in the meantime an automatic Google Update would overwrite the good Github versions with the bad GP Update, before my manual update.
It is unfortunately not an option to disable automatic updates on Google Play, which would make me even more work.
I love active developed apps, no question, but daily updates is really difficult.
Could you at least hold the Google Play Updates back for a while then?
I have not tested yet, how long it takes, till a Google Play Update is available though, as I always hurry up to update from Github. Maybe its already a week back?
You can disable automatic updates for one app too. Just find the app in the Play store and use the three dots overflow menu.

Ines*

Jan 19, 2019
I just updated and found out I can't ping from shell with last beta version 2.246.
Notification pops up to allow it but it points to application Shell with ID 2000 and it's empty.
Setting UDP filtering ON/OFF doesn't help.

EDIT: 2.247 same
To see the shell in the app list, you may have to enable 'Show apps without internet' in the filter.

francwalter

Nov 13, 2011
You can disable automatic updates for one app too. Just find the app in the Play store and use the three dots overflow menu.
Oh! This is new for me. Great feature of Google Play :)
But by the way, I saw that in GP the latest version is 2.243 (4 vs behind) and the date is 8. May, which would let me quite enough time :)
Thanks!

f_d2016

Apr 11, 2016
As I cannot reproduce this and there seem to be no other people with this problem, I really don't know. The only thing I can think of is that there is a bug in your Android version/variant.

I have been seeing this with my installation of Netguard as well, probably starting around one of the February releases: first few days, memory use is OK, but at some point, it jumps to 700Mb+ to over a gigabyte, and my phone slows down to a crawl.. At this point, the power management app built into my version of Android 8.1 pops up and informs me that Netguard is using most of my device memory and gives me the option to kill the app. If I kill it and restart, things are good for another couple of days..

I have filtering turned on, as well as logging, all the subnet stuff turned on. No notifications. Again everything seems to work fine for at least a couple of days, and then out of the blue, it starts eating memory. Netguard is designated as an always-on VPN in the system settings if that makes any difference.. I pulled logcats for Netguard, but there's nothing interesting that I can see, and the size of the file is also not huge and would not account for the memory use..

Other factors: Since I started seeing the memory issues, I have had two Android 8.1 system updates and I have also completely reset and wiped my phone once (the wipe did not fix the memory issue, but it did fix an OS issue which resulted in Netguard and a few other programs not saving the power optimization off setting and also not self-restarting after a reboot), so I can't rule out an OS bug, but the memory issues really did start appearing relatively recently, so if the core of Netguard has not changed, then perhaps a setting in the build tools or something external like that???

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have been seeing this with my installation of Netguard as well, probably starting around one of the February releases: first few days, memory use is OK, but at some point, it jumps to 700Mb+ to over a gigabyte, and my phone slows down to a crawl.. At this point, the power management app built into my version of Android 8.1 pops up and informs me that Netguard is using most of my device memory and gives me the option to kill the app. If I kill it and restart, things are good for another couple of days..

I have filtering turned on, as well as logging, all the subnet stuff turned on. No notifications. Again everything seems to work fine for at least a couple of days, and then out of the blue, it starts eating memory. Netguard is designated as an always-on VPN in the system settings if that makes any difference.. I pulled logcats for Netguard, but there's nothing interesting that I can see, and the size of the file is also not huge and would not account for the memory use..

Other factors: Since I started seeing the memory issues, I have had two Android 8.1 system updates and I have also completely reset and wiped my phone once (the wipe did not fix the memory issue, but it did fix an OS issue which resulted in Netguard and a few other programs not saving the power optimization off setting and also not self-restarting after a reboot), so I can't rule out an OS bug, but the memory issues really did start appearing relatively recently, so if the core of Netguard has not changed, then perhaps a setting in the build tools or something external like that???
Please make sure power saving is disabled.

Also, try to turn off logging.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Does it work flawlessly? This is only reason I think I have not upgraded to q beta.

Which version works? This is great news
NetGuard works flawlessly on Android Q. Maybe even better than before because there is now an official Android API to map traffic to apps.

As soon as apps targeting Android Q can be distributed, I will release a version for Android Q. This is when beta 4 has been released:

https://developer.android.com/preview/overview

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
The only solution to prevent the high RAM consumption of Netguard over time is here - besides the periodic restart - to disable filtering. Unfortunately, this has some negative "side effects", especially due to the system-wide advertising prevention.

netguarduser

Sep 17, 2016
Thanks Marcel. Those are great news about Android Q!
One question: if I don't use "filter traffic" (off) and I was using it that way before, with the new "Filter udp traffic" seen in grey color and deactivated, am I blocking udp traffic or I MUST activate "Filter traffic" now?.... If that's the case, I think it would be great to block udp without allowing to filter traffic, or maybe it's not possible.
Thanks

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The only solution to prevent the high RAM consumption of Netguard over time is here - besides the periodic restart - to disable filtering. Unfortunately, this has some negative "side effects", especially due to the system-wide advertising prevention.
My best guess this is being caused by a bug in your Android version.
Very few people seem to have this problem and I have never been able to reproduce this problem.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks Marcel. Those are great news about Android Q!
One question: if I don't use "filter traffic" (off) and I was using it that way before, with the new "Filter udp traffic" seen in grey color and deactivated, am I blocking udp traffic or I MUST activate "Filter traffic" now?.... If that's the case, I think it would be great to block udp without allowing to filter traffic, or maybe it's not possible.
Filtering UDP traffic requires filtering traffic.

Reactions: netguarduser

netguarduser

Sep 17, 2016
Filtering UDP traffic requires filtering traffic.

Were we allowing all the udp traffic of the apps before this new feature?. Are we allowing it now if we don't use Filter udp traffic?.
In the case I need to block the udp traffic in all the apps, do I need to allow (for example) only dns domain?. I was always blocking it without problems.
Thanks again Marcel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.