Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Just before you close the show I have a nasty edge case. I'm very pleased with the pro version, all is working well but there is a strange situation with the DNS settings. In NetGuard you can set the DNS which I did to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. It works smooth as silk for cellular but when I connect to home Wi-Fi the DNS is forced to the providers DNS which I have spotted on dnsleaktest.com . Here comes the tricky part. In Android 9 there is an option to set up private dns in the settings. When I turn off NetGuard and turn it on and use 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com it works both for cellular and my quirky home Wi-Fi. This is strange. Any hints why is that, and can something be done with NetGuard to act just like the stock Android setting and cover both the cellular and Wi-Fi?
You can't use private DNS and NetGuard at the same time, see the FAQ for more information.

fw190

Aug 1, 2016
You can't use private DNS and NetGuard at the same time, see the FAQ for more information.

I know that and that is not my point. Maybe I was not clear enough.

Setting up 1.1.1.1 in NetGuard settings gives Cloudflare DNS on dnsleaktest.com for cellular but not for Wi-Fi (obviously private DNS turned off in Android settings). Why is that?

Why can the private DNS option in Android settings provide Cloudflare both for cellular and Wi-fi and NetGuard can only do this for cellular for me?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I know that and that is not my point. Maybe I was not clear enough.

Setting up 1.1.1.1 in NetGuard settings gives Cloudflare DNS on dnsleaktest.com for cellular but not for Wi-Fi (obviously private DNS turned off in Android settings). Why is that?

Why can the private DNS option in Android settings provide Cloudflare both for cellular and Wi-fi and NetGuard can only do this for cellular for me?
You'll need to set exactly two custom DNS server addresses if you don't want other DNS addresses to be used.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have set up in NetGuard 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 since the beginning as per the FAQ.
Then NetGuard will set these addresses to be used to resolve domain names. However, NetGuard cannot force Android to use these addresses. Unfortunately, many Android version have VPN routing bugs :(

Reactions: hteles

fw190

Aug 1, 2016
Then NetGuard will set these addresses to be used to resolve domain names. However, NetGuard cannot force Android to use these addresses. Unfortunately, many Android version have VPN routing bugs :(

I'm on Nokia 2.2. with Android 9 and July security patch (latest available). Interesting. Maybe some future update will iron this out.

netguarduser

Sep 17, 2016
Just before you close the show I have a nasty edge case. I'm very pleased with the pro version, all is working well but there is a strange situation with the DNS settings. In NetGuard you can set the DNS which I did to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. It works smooth as silk for cellular but when I connect to home Wi-Fi the DNS is forced to the providers DNS which I have spotted on dnsleaktest.com . Here comes the tricky part. In Android 9 there is an option to set up private dns in the settings. When I turn off NetGuard and turn it on and use 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com it works both for cellular and my quirky home Wi-Fi. This is strange. Any hints why is that, and can something be done with NetGuard to act just like the stock Android setting and cover both the cellular and Wi-Fi?
The same happened in my Nokia (another version) with Android 9 and those DNS servers. I did the same as you. I'll tell you when I can if it's happening again with another DNS server I changed.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

+1 time to close this thread
Is it a joke or are you seriously thinking to close this Forum? :eek:

rolko

Aug 22, 2017
Hi,

After updating to Netguard 2.261 apps with blocked internet access were not able to reach resources in the local network anymore, so I downgraded to get it working again and stopped updates for the moment. Has this by chance already been fixed in a newer version? I operate Netguard on an Android 8.1 phone.

Thanks in advance!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,

After updating to Netguard 2.261 apps with blocked internet access were not able to reach resources in the local network anymore, so I downgraded to get it working again and stopped updates for the moment. Has this by chance already been fixed in a newer version? I operate Netguard on an Android 8.1 phone.

Thanks in advance!
I am not aware of such a (new) problem.

You can try to enable lan access in the network settings.

I will need more details to look into this.

rolko

Aug 22, 2017
What kind of details do you need? I blocked internet access via WLAN for these apps, because I do not want them to phone home, but I enabled subnet routing and LAN access, because they shall be able to reach services within my LAN. Up to Netguard 2.260 this worked out perfectly for me. Could the problem be linked to the change in 2.261 allowing LAN access for apps with enabled internet access via WLAN?

Ikearat

Dec 30, 2010
Forgive me for being slow... this is just how I am.
How did you block access to part of the network while allowing other parts?
I understand "WLAN" to imply Metered network(s) and "LAN" to mean Un-metered networks. Whenever I try to control which route, WLAN or LAN, all I can do is put the phone in Airplane before unlocking anything or the app will use Metered just like it uses Un-metered. There's nothing that says "use WiFi for this URL but don't use cell data for the same URL".

mechell

May 14, 2019
Hi, I wonder what this HOPO6 address is and why is blocked? I can't select it to unblock or anything...

Screenshot-20190828-123036-Net-Guard.jpg

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
What kind of details do you need? I blocked internet access via WLAN for these apps, because I do not want them to phone home, but I enabled subnet routing and LAN access, because they shall be able to reach services within my LAN. Up to Netguard 2.260 this worked out perfectly for me. Could the problem be linked to the change in 2.261 allowing LAN access for apps with enabled internet access via WLAN?
I don't think this change will cause this problem. I will double check things later this weekend.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Forgive me for being slow... this is just how I am.
How did you block access to part of the network while allowing other parts?
I understand "WLAN" to imply Metered network(s) and "LAN" to mean Un-metered networks. Whenever I try to control which route, WLAN or LAN, all I can do is put the phone in Airplane before unlocking anything or the app will use Metered just like it uses Un-metered. There's nothing that says "use WiFi for this URL but don't use cell data for the same URL".
There is a network setting to allow LAN traffic, which is not equal to WiFi traffic.

netguarduser

Sep 17, 2016

As I told you I changed the DNS servers and tried again.
It's the opposite in my case: at home with my WIFI connection it shows correctly the DNS I changed in Netguard, but if I turn off WIFI and use only 4g then the DNS,s of the Mobile company are shown.
But I found the solution: Enabling Traffic filter and Filter UDP traffic (with the DNS daemon allowed too).
Try with your DNS servers and let me know if it works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.