FORUMS

View Poll Results: What are you mainly using NetGuard for?

Reducing data usage

373 Vote(s)
31.74%
Saving battery

264 Vote(s)
22.47%
Increasing privacy

591 Vote(s)
50.30%
Blocking ads

772 Vote(s)
65.70%

[APP][6.0+] NetGuard - No-root firewall

21,012 posts
Thanks Meter: 44,159

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 25th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th February 2020, 11:36 PM |#10991  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Hi all,

What is the difference between NetGuard and Android "Restrict data usage" option ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
29th February 2020, 06:47 AM |#10992  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttoknow

Hi all,

What is the difference between NetGuard and Android "Restrict data usage" option ?

Fine grained control.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th February 2020, 07:05 AM |#10993  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Fine grained control.

At first glance, it seems to me that WiFi and Data filtering are identical.

Is Android "Restrict data usage" integrated option a NetGuard killer concerning the basic NetGuard usage (on/off Data & WiFi for each application) ?
29th February 2020, 07:25 AM |#10994  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

At first glance, it seems to me that WiFi and Data filtering are identical.

Is Android "Restrict data usage" integrated option a NetGuard killer concerning the basic NetGuard usage (on/off Data & WiFi for each application) ?

You shouldn't use both the Android data saver and NetGuard at the same time, but instead use NetGuard to manage all internet connections. This will prevent you from wondering why something doesn't work.
29th February 2020, 07:49 AM |#10995  

More
Quote:

You shouldn't use both the Android data saver and NetGuard at the same time, but instead use NetGuard to manage all internet connections. This will prevent you from wondering why something doesn't work.

If I use only the Android data saver instead of NetGuard, can we conclude that it's equivalent to NetGuard ?

What are the advantages of using NetGuard instead of Android data saver ?
29th February 2020, 08:00 AM |#10996  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

If I use only the Android data saver instead of NetGuard, can we conclude that it's equivalent to NetGuard ?

Fine grained control over individual connections, conditional rules like when screen is off or when roaming, separate controls for WiFi and mobile data, advanced options like allow LAN, ability to see the actual connections, ad blocking and many more features.

The Android control is just on or off.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th February 2020, 08:22 AM |#10997  

More
Quote:

Fine grained control over individual connections, conditional rules like when screen is off or when roaming, separate controls for WiFi and mobile data, advanced options like allow LAN, ability to see the actual connections, ad blocking and many more features.

The Android control is just on or off.

Thanks for your reply.

With Android data saver you can also separate controls for WiFi and mobile data.
29th February 2020, 08:49 AM |#10998  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:

NetGuard is a firewall and Android Data Saver is aimed at reducing data hence battery too by stopping šømē apps/services internet background activity (not foreground). Data saver will not be able to stop some apps/services background activity. NG being a firewall and when properly configured will do a great job at controlling internet access.

NG's FAQ has a lot of information regarding its use, and if you google "Android data saver", you'll get the description straight from the developers.

Regards!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retrol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift retrol Ad-Free
29th February 2020, 09:03 AM |#10999  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrol

NG's FAQ has a lot of information regarding its use

I follow NG's FAQ a long time ago.
29th February 2020, 07:13 PM |#11000  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:

Hi all,

Android restricted data = it depends on manufacturers definition, but I think it's data saving only - you can't control your tracking. Netguard = you have a big chance to control your tracking and data usage

Sent from my STF-L09 using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to lukval For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lukval Ad-Free
1st March 2020, 01:11 PM |#11001  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericJrdn

Thank you for your reply.
All system applications are blocked according to the hmi. I can't download the system update.
The point is that i got a notification of a system update and that if i manually check for a system update in the android configuration, i get a reply.
My netguard configuration is the configuration i was using with android 9 and i could not check for a system update with android 9.

resolved domain names, as displayed by netguard are :
poll.omc.samsungdm.com
dms.ospserver.net
app-measurement.com
cfota3.ospserver.net

Even if i ask netguard to fully block the phone traffic, this is not blocked. It does not seem to come from an application in the list.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)