• Blocking ads

Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

netguarduser

Sep 17, 2016
I didnt know that it was the fingerprint of the security certificate to authenticate the app. And that it existed a security certificate.

I thought it was a "normal" SHA to a file, and so has to be different for each new version.

Thanks for your information.

I wish all good developers would post this information like Marcel do, but many developers don't do it or only post the gpg key.

Another one you can check:

Fdroid app:
Code:
43238d512c1e5eb2d6569f4a3afbf5523418b82e0a3ed1552770abb9a9c9ccab

Last edited:

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
Moto G 5G
Please make sure private DNS is disabled in the Android settings. You might need to set two DNS servers addresses in the advanced settings. Why? There should be more domain names.
I just read this and checked my Android settings to see if they were set correctly. I found that "Private DNS mode" was set to automatic.
Should I set it to 'off'?
Or, are you talking about a different android setting?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-082414.png
    Screenshot_20200520-082414.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 348
Reactions: Klaus N.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I just read this and checked my Android settings to see if they were set correctly. I found that "Private DNS mode" was set to automatic.
Should I set it to 'off'?
Or, are you talking about a different android setting?
Thank you.
You should turn it off and it is not a private as suggested.
There have been several articles about this.

wudangnic

Feb 22, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Hi! I have a question regarding TrackerControl app from f-droid. It has similar GUI with netguard and uses the same hosts file download from netguard. What is the connection with Netguard and what are the main advantages of using netguard vs TrackerControl?
Thanks for the app, by the way, it is great and I use the donation version.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi! I have a question regarding TrackerControl app from f-droid. It has similar GUI with netguard and uses the same hosts file download from netguard. What is the connection with Netguard and what are the main advantages of using netguard vs TrackerControl?
Thanks for the app, by the way, it is great and I use the donation version.
TrackerControl is not an original work and a clone of NetGuard, that should say it all I guess.

Dev3389

May 22, 2020
Subnet Routing option

You'll need to enable both options because subnet routing is required for LAN routing. Android just routes all traffic into the VPN and doesn't distinguish traffic classes.

Note that subnet routing this is a really complicated part of NetGuard, even though it is just represented by a single switch. It had to be custom made because there do not exist any libraries for this. Normally this is handled by the Linux kernel, but Android apps do not have access to this.

Subnet Routing option comes with a warning about bugs and increased battery usage.
1. Are there any known problems, on android Q, caused by enabling this option?
2. How much increment in battery usage should I expect, if any?

Btw, thanks a ton for a great app.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Subnet Routing option comes with a warning about bugs and increased battery usage.
1. Are there any known problems, on android Q, caused by enabling this option?
2. How much increment in battery usage should I expect, if any?

Btw, thanks a ton for a great app.
This applies to older Android versions only and I don't expect that this will be a problem or result in extra battery usage on recent Android versions anymore.

AlainL

Dec 21, 2004
Hi.

I have a little problem, maybe someone can help me.

1. When airplane mode on, Wifi on, app have no access to internet at all => KO
2. When airplane mode off, Wifi on, app have access to internet via wifi => OK
3. When airplane mode off, Wifi off, app have access to internet via data => OK
If I set "lock wifi data" to off (sorry, using french version, so maybe not the right term) in "settings - network settings", app have access to internet => OK
So the problem really look likes a config problem (or a bug?)

Device : Nokia 7.1 with Android 10, Netguard PRO
App is configured in netguard to have access via wifi or data and it's all apps that have this problem, not only one.

I don't have this problem on a Samsung Note 8 with android 9

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi.

I have a little problem, maybe someone can help me.

1. When airplane mode on, Wifi on, app have no access to internet at all => KO
2. When airplane mode off, Wifi on, app have access to internet via wifi => OK
3. When airplane mode off, Wifi off, app have access to internet via data => OK
If I set "lock wifi data" to off (sorry, using french version, so maybe not the right term) in "settings - network settings", app have access to internet => OK
So the problem really look likes a config problem (or a bug?)

Device : Nokia 7.1 with Android 10, Netguard PRO
App is configured in netguard to have access via wifi or data and it's all apps that have this problem, not only one.

I don't have this problem on a Samsung Note 8 with android 9

I guess Android doesn't send a connectivity event when you turn on WiFi in flight mode (which would be a bug in your Android version).

Try disabling/enabling NetGuard with the switch in the action bar to see if this solves the problem.

Reactions: AlainL

AlainL

Dec 21, 2004
I guess Android doesn't send a connectivity event when you turn on WiFi in flight mode (which would be a bug in your Android version).

Try disabling/enabling NetGuard with the switch in the action bar to see if this solves the problem.
Thanks.
I tried your suggestion and now app cann access internet via wifi when airplane is on.

I just don't understand how it works .

- Before, no internet access with airplane on, wifi on
- I did your trick
- Now internet access with airplane on, wifi on => OK
Then I tried (inthis order) to understand why there was no internet acces
- Airplane on, wifi off => no internet access => OK
- Airplane on, wifi on => internet access => OK
- Airplane off, wifi on => internet access via wifi => OK
- Airplane on, wifi on => internet access via wifi => OK
- Airplane on, wifi off => no internet access => OK
- Airplane on, wifi on => internet access => OK
- Airplane off, wifi on => internet access via wifi => OK
- Airplane on, wifi on => internet access via wifi => OK
Why it didn' work before your trick and now it works. Is this broken only after a reboot of phone?

Last edited:

camilla87

Jan 17, 2020
Filter apps with settings different from defaults. Language

Hi

I searched the thread and FAQs but I didn't found an answer.
So I ask if it'll be possibile in future to have a 'filter' to identify only the apps that have some settings different from the defaults. For example: all apps are blocked by default on every type of connections; I allow one app on WiFi, one app on Data-Connection and for another app I change some of the 'deeper' settings. What I ask is to be able to identify these three apps without scrolling all the list or having to remember these changes. Two possible solutions I see are: 1. an additional filter in the top control bar of the app; 2. 'move' the apps with 'custom' settings at the top of the list, in a well identified 'section'.
If this feature is already existing please just explain howto do it.

I saw the answer about the app language. What I ask, if possibile, is to have english language (only this one) always available as a choice other than the default language based on Android language. When one talks about technical stuff, english language is always the best choice to really understand what you are reading (most schools in the world use english when teaching technical stuff); often translations are misleading and it's not because they are bad translations, it's just because sometimes an effective one is not availbale in a different language. This setting could be implemented with a 'workaround', without touching Android internal language settings (for example allowing the user to update the app's language file downloading the english one).

Thanks for your time to read this post ... Compliments for this wonderful app!

Reactions: lukval

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi

I searched the thread and FAQs but I didn't found an answer.
So I ask if it'll be possibile in future to have a 'filter' to identify only the apps that have some settings different from the defaults. For example: all apps are blocked by default on every type of connections; I allow one app on WiFi, one app on Data-Connection and for another app I change some of the 'deeper' settings. What I ask is to be able to identify these three apps without scrolling all the list or having to remember these changes. Two possible solutions I see are: 1. an additional filter in the top control bar of the app; 2. 'move' the apps with 'custom' settings at the top of the list, in a well identified 'section'.
If this feature is already existing please just explain howto do it.

I saw the answer about the app language. What I ask, if possibile, is to have english language (only this one) always available as a choice other than the default language based on Android language. When one talks about technical stuff, english language is always the best choice to really understand what you are reading (most schools in the world use english when teaching technical stuff); often translations are misleading and it's not because they are bad translations, it's just because sometimes an effective one is not availbale in a different language. This setting could be implemented with a 'workaround', without touching Android internal language settings (for example allowing the user to update the app's language file downloading the english one).

Thanks for your time to read this post ... Compliments for this wonderful app!
I have no plans to add additional filters.

Switching to another language doesn't work properly anymore on recent Android versions.

Reactions: camilla87

leandrobaca

May 31, 2020
Treat home network as if in the EU

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have been using NetGuard for a bit now. I have a Swiss mobile plan that provides unlimited data in Switzerland and the EU. This is important to me because while I work and spend most of my time in Switzerland, I live across the border in France.

I see the settings option to ignore EU roaming, but this only applies when the home network is also in the EU, which Switzerland is not. I occasionally travel outside the EU, so was wondering if it would be possible to add a new option (possibly subordinate to the "ignore EU roaming" option) such as "treat home country as EU".

If this is too niche, does anyone else have a similar issue and can recommend how they deal with it?

Thanks and best regards,
Leandro

Last edited:

ArneTR_XDA

May 31, 2020
I tried searching the thread to get some info if it is possible for an app to use Google Play Services to send data to the cloud without NetGuard noticing this in the app itself.

Hopefully this is not a duplicate :)

Scenario: A sample app is completely locked down by NetGuard. Effectively not able to make any connection.
Google Play Services App however has full internet access.

Now the sample app uses Google Play Services APIs such as Firebase realtime database or Firebase Cloud Storage.

Will these calls be shown under the ID of the sample app? Or under the ID of Google Play Services?

Can this questions answered given the information I provided? Or do I need to supply further info?

Thanks in advance.

- Arne

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have been using NetGuard for a bit now. I have a Swiss mobile plan that provides unlimited data in Switzerland and the EU. This is important to me because while I work and spend most of my time in Switzerland, I live across the border in France.

I see the settings option to ignore EU roaming, but this only applies when the home network is also in the EU, which Switzerland is not. I occasionally travel outside the EU, so was wondering if it would be possible to add a new option (possibly subordinate to the "ignore EU roaming" option) such as "treat home country as EU".

If this is too niche, does anyone else have a similar issue and can recommend how they deal with it?

Thanks and best regards,
Leandro
By default NetGuard will block roaming traffic and when needed you can allow this per app, so the setting you are searching for is already there, even more flexible.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I tried searching the thread to get some info if it is possible for an app to use Google Play Services to send data to the cloud without NetGuard noticing this in the app itself.

Hopefully this is not a duplicate :)

Scenario: A sample app is completely locked down by NetGuard. Effectively not able to make any connection.
Google Play Services App however has full internet access.

Now the sample app uses Google Play Services APIs such as Firebase realtime database or Firebase Cloud Storage.

Will these calls be shown under the ID of the sample app? Or under the ID of Google Play Services?

Can this questions answered given the information I provided? Or do I need to supply further info?

Thanks in advance.

- Arne
The traffic will be shown under Google Play services.

leandrobaca

May 31, 2020
By default NetGuard will block roaming traffic and when needed you can allow this per app, so the setting you are searching for is already there, even more flexible.

Thanks for the reply. My scenario is that I have certain apps that I wish to block unconditionally, and some only when roaming outside the EU. Since I spend half my day in Switzerland and half in France, I'm roaming half the time (except when at home, of course). With NetGuard as-is I need to choose between treating all roaming the same (which is prohibitively expensive when I leave the EU) or disabling NetGuard altogether when I'm roaming in France, which means the apps I always wish to block are unblocked.

I guess I'll need to keep two different profiles in my setup, and restore a backup when I leave the EU and another when I come back, remembering to update both every time I install an app that requires special handling...

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Ah! I think I just found an easier way: by changing the default setting to block or not block when roaming, I have a one-click solution to different roaming profiles. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

LaurentGrenet

Dec 10, 2019
Netguard do not block all requests, but only some...

Since I was surprised to see that some applications, supposed to be 100% blocked, were nevertheless consuming data, I did a quick test :
I blocked two applications for which I can "see" on the screen if they succeded, or not, in getting data.

The first one is OruxMaps, that is a Map viewer, getting map "tiles" (small piece of image) from various servers, to display maps.
When it is supposed to be 100% blocked, it has nevertheless access to some Internet data, while some other are blocked.
I've not been able to see what could differ servers that Netguard (correctly...) blocks and those that it let pass.
It is not due to the port (some http / 80 pass, some are blocked, some https / 443 pass, some are blocked)
For example, all tiles provided by server http://a0.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net are blocked, while those on server http://h0.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net are accessed !!
If I set the option of journalization and filtering, access attempt is reported for the blocked server, while nothing for the other server....
Of course, if I de-activate NetGuard, tiles from both servers are OK.

Then I did a second test : I blocked "Samsung Internet" browser itself.
And here again, some sites can be nevertheless browsed, while some other are blocked.
Example : no problem to browse http://www.lemonde.fr or https://www.ledauphine.com, while it is impossible to browse https://fr.m.wikipedia.org ....
And also with browser, it is possible to get http://h0.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/h120220333311.jpg?g=45 while http://a0.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/h120220333311.jpg?g=45 is blocked !
And also with browser, blocked accesses are reported (and nothing about unblocked ones)
And also with browser, all requests and browsing are OK if NetGuard is deactivated.

I precise that I am on a Samsung Galaxy A3 2016, Android 7.0, NetGuard 2.281

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.