Originally Posted by rafaelsartori
dear friend, you "oversized" hosts you got updated from any specific place or you made it? anyway can you share your file or the place where i can find it?
I have a hosts file that I've been working on for a few years that I can share with you, I use it on mobile and on my computers. But... the problem with hosts files are that they are for the most part overly aggressive and try to block everything. Which for me usually meant not being able to watch video content on some websites. So, unless you start with a small hosts file (even then) you will occasionally end up blocking content that you want to see. And since a hosts file blocks websites system wide the same problems will be seen in every browser. Just saying. You're welcome to give mine a try and it works perfectly for "me" but I'm sure that we don't visit all the same websites. I used parts of the hosts file that was referred to by Ultramanoid and parts of others. I've added and removed many entries over time. My file blocks like maybe 99% of the crap and I do have some malware related entries in there but not a bunch. On the next to last line you can see some entries that block some social buttons from linkedin, twitter, FB and G+. I added those a few weeks ago because those buttons were slowing down the page load time for the home page at consumerist.com and I don't ever use those buttons anyway. To find a problem entry it's easy to use the Web Developer Tools (Network) that is built into desktop browsers. I prefer the one in FF over the one in Chrome myself. Just disable anything that is doing any blocking except for the hosts file. I've been doing it a while so it takes me only a minute or two to find an entry causing a problem on any specific website. Point is, it can be done. If you make any changes remember to keep an empty line at the bottom of the list. For a long time now I've used HostsMan which is a free portable windows program to clean, optimize and remove duplicate entries in host files otherwise my file would probably be over 500KB. As an example, the file referred to by Ultramanoid is about a third smaller in size after being optimized. I personally try to stay under 500KB. Rename the file, reset permissions, reboot. Also, a hosts file will not work with any actual version of Chrome (Stable, Beta, Dev) if data compression is enabled. Good luck!
As far as #NoChromo goes this is an excellent option for anyone that is not rooted or is and doesn't want to eff around with a hosts file. Like most everyone else I did have some issues with repeated sign-in requests for both of my accounts and after granting the request 2-3 times for each account it looked like it stuck until the next time I started the app and it had one more request for each account that I granted and since then has behaved. No more requests and everything is syncing. For anyone still having problems I would delete app data and cache and start over. Using my hosts file and any regular version of Chrome I see "slightly" faster page load times than I do when using #NoChromo but I have to admit that #NoChromo does an amazingly good job of blocking the crap (better than my hosts file) and speeding up page load times compared to any "naked" browser. Glad to see that there is another good option for everyone to consider!
Couple months ago I removed www. from all the entries that had the prefix in the interest of reducing the file size. Couple days ago I added an entry to block a popup that would only work if the www. prefix was used. So... I reverted all the entries that used www. previously. My thought now is that it matters for some entries but not all of them. Never really noticed any difference in adblocking except for the newest entry which is at the bottom of the larger file. Just playing it safe. I've now included both versions, 312KB vs 324KB.
I mentioned earlier that using a hosts file can be a major pain. Damn it!!!
I just noticed this morning that the file with the www prefix added back to some of the entries is now causing empty image placeholders in Chrome, desktop and mobile. Screenshot. Browsers with adblocking enabled (#NoChromo, Dolphin, Ghostery) will not show the empty image placeholders when using the bigger hosts file. On mobile I mostly use Dolphin and Chrome Beta. I went back to using the smaller version.
I added my desktop version in the folder, only difference being it won't block any social media buttons. Those entries are at the bottom of the list and are obvious because of the names. When you use a hosts file for the first time remember to wipe your browser cache and wipe the cache again after making any changes to the entries.