FORUMS

[APP][8.0+] [OPEN SOURCE] [ROOT] OAndBackupX - Apps and data backup tool for Android.

1,992 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,356

By Walden0, Retired Forum Moderator on 23rd September 2020, 07:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
OAndBackupX is a fork of the infamous OAndBackup with the aim to bring OAndBackup to 2020. For now most of the functionality and UI of the app are rewritten, next steps would be making it stable and adding some features which could ease the backup/restore workflow with any device. Therefore all types of contribution are welcome.

Now on functionality of our App:
  • It requires root and allows you to backup individual apps and their data.
  • Both backup and restore of individual programs one at a time and batch backup and restore of multiple programs are supported.
  • Restoring system apps should be possible without requiring a reboot afterwards.
  • Backups can be scheduled with no limit on the number of individual schedules and there is the possibility of creating custom lists from the list of installed apps.

Recommendation
A combination with your favourite sync solution (e.g. Syncthing, Nextcloud...) keeping an encrypted copy of your apps and their data on your server or "stable" device could bring a lot of benefits and save you a lot of work while changing ROMs or just cleaning your mobile device.

Community
There's a new room on Matrix and a group on Telegram to discuss the development of the App and test new versions:

OAndBackupX:Matrix.ORG

Telegram

Our Code Of Conduct applies to the communication in the community same as for all contributers.

Encryption
If enabled the data backup will be encrypted with AES 256 based on a password you can set in the settings, which you'll have to use when you want to restore the data. This way you can store your backups more securely, worrying less about their readability.

if you have some java and android knowledge and like to contribute to the project see the following Development Document to see the goals and where a help is needed. Each contribution and communication in the project community should follow our Code Of Conduct

Download

Source Code
Screenshots

Developer @Machiav3lli (Antonios Hazim)
(I am merely creating this thread and in no way the developer or contributor to the app itself, all credit goes to him and others who have contributed )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	3064
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	5102871   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3042
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	5102873   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2980
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	5102875   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	2660
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	5102877   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	2566
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	5102881   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	2508
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	5102883   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	2342
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	5102885   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.png
Views:	2194
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	5102887  
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to Walden0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Walden0 Ad-Free
23rd September 2020, 07:30 PM |#2  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Jabalpur

More
Release 3.2.0:

* Added: new Navigation
* Added: badge for updated apps in Main
* Fixed: save checked items in Batch
* Fixed: sync of check all in Batch
* Fixed: search filtering unexpected behavior(caused by caching)
* Fixed: resume behavior
* Updated: improve refresh performance
* Updated: improve on visual performance (Action instances and Sheets launch speed)
* Updated: Translations (Norwegian, Dutch, Turkish, Chinese, Portuguese)
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Walden0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Walden0 Ad-Free
3rd October 2020, 03:37 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 190

More
was looking this for longtime wish could backup in otg

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

thanks dev really appreciate it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to walkwitmeinhel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift walkwitmeinhel Ad-Free
3rd October 2020, 05:41 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 322

More
Have used oandbackup. Good to see this back
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yougotmehere For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yougotmehere Ad-Free
3rd October 2020, 06:32 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 87

More
I heard about oAndbackup but never used it. Excited to try this
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndroZeek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroZeek Ad-Free
4th October 2020, 07:16 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1,530

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walden0

Release 3.2.0:...

the apk obtained just now from Github and Izzyondroid have the same md5, whereas the one from F-droid seems to be newer ('added on 2020-10-02') and has a different size & md5. is that normal? which is the link recommended to follow for regular official updates?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m0han For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m0han Ad-Free
4th October 2020, 08:00 AM |#7  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Jabalpur

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0han

the apk obtained just now from Github and Izzyondroid have the same md5, whereas the one from F-droid seems to be newer ('added on 2020-10-02') and has a different size & md5. is that normal? which is the link recommended to follow for regular official updates?

All are exactly the same.
The fdroid one is newer and different in size and md5 because fdroid builds from the sources directly itself. Look for the versions they will be same.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walden0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Walden0 Ad-Free
4th October 2020, 06:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Please be careful with the 3.2.0 release. There is an upcoming release 4.x that breaks compatibility with the existing backup archives in favor of Storage Access Framework and a new backup directory structure.

Test versions are posted in the Telegram group. Some common backup related issues such as issues with symlinks and pipes are not present anymore in the 4.x release.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pizze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pizze Ad-Free
4th October 2020, 07:58 PM |#9  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,108

More
Okay, I'm lost, and I'm not easily lost

Really wanted to try this, but we'll....

Trying this for the first time, but cannot fathom it's confusing way of doing things

All I want to do is backup user apps and their data....but no way can I figure how to do it

1st try, set the filter options to display user apps....doesn't do anything ...system apps still shown

Switch to backup tab (once I figured out which one it was) still listing system apps etc

Try selecting all and then changing filter...nope, system apps still shown

Go around in circles for 15 minutes, and then post here

I've used every backup app on Android since the beginning of time, never needed to post asking for help...

What am I missing?

You all could use some documentation at very least

Better labelling or explanation of GUI items needed too

Cheers in advance
The Following User Says Thank You to 73sydney For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 73sydney Ad-Free
4th October 2020, 08:35 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
@73sydney Labeling the icons was a topic on the chat already… and an issue on github, I think. The UI has been updated, but is still evolving. That's why it's hard to write good documentation without having it outdated after 1 or 2 months again.
Regarding your issues:
You might have missed to confirm the filter with the green button on the bottom (you might have to scroll down in the fragment a bit).

If you want to backup something, just tap on the app and select backup on the bottom of the "AppSheet" that appears then. Or you can do a batch backup if you change the mode to it with the icons that come up when you scroll up a bit (hint: keep pressing a button to get a hint what the button does). I think, there is a high chance, that some of you apps fail to be backed up because of symlinks. Version 4 should be more reliable.

Just give it a try, don't be sad, if it doesn't work perfectly. The development is still very active (removing/replacing legacy stuff, making sure the data is consistent, optimizing the performance etc). Some people tried the new version 4 and reported new bugs and it's known that the UI has some issues because a central structure was replaced and it seems that there are still some combinations of the settings that cause issues.

Maybe it's the right time, to invite some Android experts. Currently the data consistency is a hot topic. To close an app or not to close an app, how is it restarted at the end and how to keep it from restarting during backup? If anyone wants to join, just join via Matrix or Telegram.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pizze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pizze Ad-Free
5th October 2020, 08:40 AM |#11  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizze

@73sydney Labeling the icons was a topic on the chat already… and an issue on github, I think. The UI has been updated, but is still evolving. That's why it's hard to write good documentation without having it outdated after 1 or 2 months again.
Regarding your issues:
You might have missed to confirm the filter with the green button on the bottom (you might have to scroll down in the fragment a bit).

If you want to backup something, just tap on the app and select backup on the bottom of the "AppSheet" that appears then. Or you can do a batch backup if you change the mode to it with the icons that come up when you scroll up a bit (hint: keep pressing a button to get a hint what the button does). I think, there is a high chance, that some of you apps fail to be backed up because of symlinks. Version 4 should be more reliable.

Just give it a try, don't be sad, if it doesn't work perfectly. The development is still very active (removing/replacing legacy stuff, making sure the data is consistent, optimizing the performance etc). Some people tried the new version 4 and reported new bugs and it's known that the UI has some issues because a central structure was replaced and it seems that there are still some combinations of the settings that cause issues.

Maybe it's the right time, to invite some Android experts. Currently the data consistency is a hot topic. To close an app or not to close an app, how is it restarted at the end and how to keep it from restarting during backup? If anyone wants to join, just join via Matrix or Telegram.

Hi, i will never see the chat because i dont believe in installing 3rd party apps just for support for apps listed on XDA
I'll check out github issues though in future

I did tap the confirm button, it seems to do something but then comes back with no apps lin lis resetting to default (paraphrasing as away from device at the moment)

Literally nothing i tried got me all my user apps ticked ready for backup, if youre saying that i have to tick then one by one, then we're going to have an issue friend

So as yet, havent even tried a backup bacause i cant (short of ticking every app, skipping over the systenm and other special items ive asked the filter to hide but it doesnt) select the apps i want to backup...kinda catch22

Look im willing for anyone to piont out where im going wrong and even me made to feel like a numpty, but im a relatively smart guy, i have my full frontal lobe intact and ive managed to figure out every app in Android history until now

I get that youre also in the deep end currently with updating to a v4, so perhaps ill monitor and check back in when the dust settles a bit!

Cheers for the reply
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)