FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[App][4.2+] personalDNSfilter - block malware domains, ads and trackers without root

1,172 posts
Thanks Meter: 767

By t-ryder, Senior Member on 5th March 2017, 08:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
You want to block ads, trackers, analytics and malware domains system-wide (in browsers and apps) and don't want root (or you can't root)?

Check out personalDNSfilter by Ingo Zenz @ ZENZ Solutions
  • runs on Android 4.2 and up
  • open source / GPL
  • tiny - size is only 92KB
  • free - not any costs
  • no premium version
  • noob friendly
  • expert options / config

Info and download LINK

CREDITS:
Coding: Ingo Zenz aka iz-)
UI redesign, icon and website: t-ryder
Translations:
@dogiex, @yshalsager, Lukas Novotny, @Taivotat2, @dugi9991, @Primokorn, @gaich, phihungchrome

•••
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to t-ryder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t-ryder Ad-Free

6th March 2017, 10:59 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Some more hosts sources for those who want to play around with the settings...
HostsSources · AdAway/AdAway Wiki · GitHub

Using a Hosts File To Make The Internet Not Suck (as much)

FilterLists
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to t-ryder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t-ryder Ad-Free
20th March 2017, 01:48 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
personalDNSfilter was updated to version 1.50.2 on March 19, 2017.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t-ryder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t-ryder Ad-Free
9th December 2017, 03:26 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Just found this, I'm surprised it's not got a following.. light and easy to use, seems a good alternative to dns66 and the likes.
9th December 2017, 05:41 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Can we change/edit the local file FILTERHOSTS.TXT?

Will it get downloaded again and over-written?
12th December 2017, 05:44 PM |#6  
Flag Bergamo
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Great app, thanks for heads up.
12th December 2017, 08:06 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamrollerpark

Can we change/edit the local file FILTERHOSTS.TXT?

Will it get downloaded again and over-written?

By default it will be overwritten. But you can add custom filters within the dnsfilter.conf (see filter.host = true|false settings).
Alternativly it is possible to disable the automated filter download so that the FILTERHOST.TXT won´t be overwritten.
Just check dnsfilter.conf file for details. It contains a good documentation of the different settings.
The Following User Says Thank You to iz-) For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iz-) Ad-Free
1st January 2018, 05:47 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Sorry, these might be some dumb questions, but really trying to get this to work on an Android phone running 7.1.1:

1) do I need to check "Advanced settings" in order for those settings to work? If I don't check it, I can't scroll down to view the logs, unless I'm missing something

2) Also, any reason why some of my custom entries in the "Advanced settings" doesn't work? (I put in entries to be filtered and those are still allowed in the log and entries to be allowed, but those are still blocked.) I've hit Reload filter and Restart and sometimes it works, but more often it doesn't.

3) Lastly, any reason why other times my entire "Advanced settings" erases? How can I get those entries to persist?

Thanks for putting this app together, hopefully once I know what's going on I'll be able to use it much better.

Kevin
1st January 2018, 01:40 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvyc

Sorry, these might be some dumb questions, but really trying to get this to work on an ...

Advanced settings unfolds when clicked, set values, untick and the put in values are active but hidden in the GUI. Set a custom reload intervall for testing to see (days until next reload).

Use a text editor to edit the right files inside the pDNSf folder in your storage. You will find examples and descriptions there. Just have a look at the even more advanced settings playing around with the configuration files. Quit the client, edit files, start the client again and reload.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t-ryder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t-ryder Ad-Free
1st January 2018, 03:35 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ryder

Advanced settings unfolds when clicked, set values, untick and the put in values are active but hidden in the GUI. Set a custom reload intervall for testing to see (days until next reload).

Use a text editor to edit the right files inside the pDNSf folder in your storage. You will find examples and descriptions there. Just have a look at the even more advanced settings playing around with the configuration files. Quit the client, edit files, start the client again and reload.

Yes .... better edit the dnsfilter.cfg file. In addition: the advanced settings within the GUI only allows to edit the filter URL and reload interval. In case invalid values are added, it will be reset to the previous valid entries (Check for messages in the log area)
2nd January 2018, 12:28 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iz-)

Yes .... better edit the dnsfilter.cfg file. In addition: the advanced settings within the GUI only allows to edit the filter URL and reload interval. In case invalid values are added, it will be reset to the previous valid entries (Check for messages in the log area)

Thanks for the heads up guys. I was looking in the Android/data folder for the settings, but I should have just looked at the root folder. Okay, I've got everything to work now!

Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to kevvyc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kevvyc Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adblocker, ads, dns filter, no root, trackers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)