FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][4.4+] Privacy Browser

93 posts
Thanks Meter: 111

Post Reply Email Thread
Privacy Browser is an open source Android web browser focused on user privacy. It is released under the GPLv3+ license. The source code is available from git.stoutner.com.

Privacy Browser has two primary goals.
  1. Minimize the amount of information that is sent to the internet.
  2. Minimize the amount of information that is stored on the device.

Most browsers silently give websites massive amounts of information that allows them to track you and compromise your privacy. Websites and ad networks use technologies like JavaScript, cookies, DOM storage, user agents, and many other things to uniquely identify each user and track them between visits and across the web.

In contrast, privacy sensitive features are disabled by default in Privacy Browser. If one of these technologies is required for a website to function correctly, the user may choose to turn it on for just that visit. Or, they can use domain settings to automatically turn on certain features when entering a specific website and turn them off again when leaving.

Privacy Browser currently uses Android’s built-in WebView to render web pages. As such, it works best when the latest version of WebView is installed. In the 4.x series, Privacy Browser will switch to a forked version of Android’s WebView called Privacy WebView that will allow for advanced privacy features.

Warning: Android KitKat (version 4.4.x, API 19) ships an older version of OpenSSL, which is susceptible to MITM (Man In The Middle) attacks when browsing websites that use outdated protocols and cipher suites.

Features:
  • Integrated EasyList ad blocking.
  • Tor Orbot proxy support.
  • SSL certificate pinning.
  • Import/Export of settings and bookmarks.

Further information:
News
Changelog and Downloads
Roadmap
Permissions
Privacy Policy
Bug Tracker
Security and Privacy Canary

Privacy Browser is available on XDA Labs. There is also a free version of Privacy Browser with a banner ad across the bottom.

An Android.mk repository is provided for integrating Privacy Browser into ROMs.

Homepage Options Menu Navigation Menu Bookmarks Tor PinnedMismatch NightMode RequestDetails Domains
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sorenstoutner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sorenstoutner Ad-Free

23rd June 2017, 10:07 PM |#2  
XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 11,187

More
One thing I thought I'd mention, using the default html ddg page I get a forbidden message any time I do a search. Using the toolbar works fine though.

Thanks for the app!
The Following User Says Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2017, 05:13 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Wickenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_jack

One thing I thought I'd mention, using the default html ddg page I get a forbidden message any time I do a search. Using the toolbar works fine though.

Thanks for the app!

I'm assuming that you are having this problem with the DuckDuckGo's .onion website. If so, this is a bug in their website that I have already tried to submit to them, but so far have not got any response.

https://forum.duckduckhack.com/t/sea...-disabled/1927

https://www.reddit.com/r/duckduckgo/...if_javascript/

There are a couple of workarounds you can use until DuckDuckGo fixes their problem.

1. Set the Tor homepage setting to be https://start.duckduckgo.com instead of https://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/. The normal website works fine with JavaScript disabled.
2. Use domain settings to automatically turn on JavaScript for https://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/. You should also set the Tor search to be JavaScript enabled to match.

You might also add your voice to either of the websites above where I submitted the bug report. If enough people mention the problem it will probably get to the person who can fix it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sorenstoutner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sorenstoutner Ad-Free
6th July 2017, 11:21 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Wickenburg

Donate to Me
More
Problems with the default homepage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_jack

Thanks for the app!

This problem will be fixed in the next release of Privacy Browser by changing the default homepage to https://duckduckgo.com/?kao=-1&kak=-1, which works with both JavaScript enabled and disabled. See https://www.reddit.com/r/duckduckgo/...if_javascript/ for more information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sorenstoutner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sorenstoutner Ad-Free
7th July 2017, 03:25 AM |#5  
Flag Astral Planet
Thanks Meter: 499

More
So, this browser starts in an incognito or..?
7th July 2017, 04:17 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Wickenburg

Donate to Me
More
Privacy Browser Defaults
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy1X

So, this browser starts in an incognito or..?

Privacy Browser starts with the following defaults, which can be configured on-the-fly, by domain, or globally:
  • JavaScript disabled.
  • First-party cookies disabled.
  • Third-party cookies disabled.
  • DOM storage disabled.
  • Form data disabled.

Incognito mode is off by default, but can be turned on in the preferences. Incognito mode clears the history and cache after each webpage finishes loading.

There is also a Clear and Exit button, which clears all cookies, DOM storage, form data, cache, and removes Privacy Browser from memory.
27th July 2017, 10:34 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 431

More
How to switch tabs ?
27th July 2017, 04:00 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Wickenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryn70

How to switch tabs ?

Tabbed browsing is not yet implemented. See the roadmap for more information.
26th August 2017, 08:07 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Wickenburg

Donate to Me
More
Privacy Browser 2.5 has been released.

Changelog:
• Add SSL certificate pinning to domain settings.
• Add searx.me to the list of search engines.
• Update the default homepage to work with both JavaScript enabled or disabled.
• Fix a bug that caused the website title to be lost on rotate.
• Ghost the “Clear DOM Storage” options menu item if there is nothing to delete.
• Use non-bolded red text to indicate unencrypted websites.
• Fix a bug that sometimes caused custom domain user agents to fail.
• Fix a bug that caused website modifications (like the sorting of a list) to be lost if Privacy Browser was moved to the background.
• Many small improvements were made to the Domains activity.
• Updated Italian translation provided by Francesco Buratti.
• Updated Spanish translation provided by Jose A. León.

There is a blog post with more information about the new features.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sorenstoutner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sorenstoutner Ad-Free
18th September 2017, 05:56 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Wickenburg

Donate to Me
More
Privacy Browser 2.6 has been released.

Changelog:
• Add night mode rendering.
• Update the dark theme rendering of the About and Guide sections.
• Add support for HTTP authentication.
Color code the Common Name in the view SSL certificate dialog.
• Updated Italian translation provided by Francesco Buratti.
• Updated Spanish translation provided by Jose A. León.

There is a news post with more information about each of these items.
19th September 2017, 11:56 AM |#11  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
Awesome privacy browser..I have already purchased it from google play store. Please add tabbed browser option.
Please update it soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to MdNaushad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MdNaushad Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)