172 posts
Thanks Meter: 336

Post Reply Email Thread
Quick Cursor

The app is free and without ads!

XDA Article
XDA Quick Cursor article

What is it for:
Helps you to use big screens easily with one hand by introducing a computer like cursor controlled with one finger by swiping from edge of the screen.

How to use:
1. Swipe from left or right margin from the bottom half of the screen.
2. Reach the top half of the screen by dragging the tracker using one hand in the bottom half.
3. Touch the tracker to click with the cursor. The tracker will disappear on any action outside the tracker or after a period of time.

TIP: While using the quick cursor, touch with another finger to open the quick settings menu.

Download

Google Play Store link

Screenshots

Quick Cursor screenshot Quick Cursor screenshot Quick Cursor screenshot

Telegram Quick Cursor group
If anyone wants to help by testing the internal builds before the release, please join telegram group

Quick Cursor Telegram

Credits
Quick Cursor is an alternative to the already known Reachability Cursor app. I really liked it, and I appreciated the developer attitude and his vision about the app in his replies online. Unfortunately, NiftyUI's last message about the app was on 7 October 2018 and the last app update was on 4 October 2018 and it doesn't work on most Android 10 phones. I do hope that he is ok, and give him a big thumbs up for the idea and the implementation!

Why
I saw a lot of threads and replies on XDA and Reddit for an alternative app for Reachability Cursor for a long time and I needed one too!

Monetization
The app uses the same monetization scheme as Reachability Cursor: it offers an In-App purchase for "PRO" mode which adds some more functionalities (floating tracker mode, long clicks, edge actions) and a lot of customization on each part of the app: cursor, tracker, trigger area, tracker area, cursor area, feedback. Basically this is a support for the developer (me), because the free version should be enough for most use cases.

Help needed
The app should run on Android 7.0 or later, theoretically. I tested it only on 10 devices running Android 9 and Android 10 (Pixel, Samsung, Xiaomi, Oneplus).

I need help to collect some feedback on this early version from more devices, so please send feedback anywhere (here on XDA, Telegram, Reddit, Email, Play store), including the device name and Android version.

I'm more interested in this topics:
  • critical bugs that won't let you use the app properly
  • if it works ok daily in your case
  • if you see any performance impact on your phone
  • 90hz or 120hz affected?
  • feature requests
  • I need these feedback to estimate the current state of the app and how much work I have to do until I can fully release it, not early access, and more polished. I don't work as a full time Android Developer, so I don't have a lot of things necessary to test it well enough on my own (time, phones, knowledge, etc), and don't want to release the app publicly if it is not polished enough.

Thank you!

Changelog

0.9.23 Beta:
  • fix crash with raise triggers above keyboard on landscape
  • fix QC enabled on landscape on keyboard action

0.9.22 Beta:
  • fix bug with some lock screen configurations that never re-enabled the QC after phone unlock

0.9.21 Beta:
  • disable QC on lock screen
  • fix bug with quick settings opening when phone is locked / unlocked
  • fix trigger size not saving correctly on simple mode with location bottom

0.9.20 Beta:
  • acessibility service enable tutorial screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/8mMsBmP
  • add accessibility tutorial for Samsung
  • add accessibility tutorial for Xiaomi

0.9.19 Beta:
  • fix bug on accessibility service enabled and exit back to tutorial

0.9.18 Beta:
  • add tutorial for how to enable accessibility service on generic device
  • add first time use tutorial
  • add trigger size config on first time use tutorial
  • add share button in About section
  • fixed bug on advanced mode: cursor height was not saved correctly

0.9.17 Beta:
  • add option to disable QC quick settings and fix open by mistake when touching the margins
  • possible fix for Android Quick Settings show for 1ms on some phones when tapping the trigger

0.9.16 Beta:
  • triggers can be disabled when keyboard is visible
  • triggers can be automatically raised above keyboard when it is visible
  • improve trigger performance on tap
  • fix "hide on outside tap" bug (not everyone affected)
  • fix bug in "floating tracker" mode when a long clickable element is behind the small tracker on the edge

0.9.15 Beta:
  • draw tracker and cursor over system apps (like Settings) (this already worked on some phones)
  • fix tracker "hide on outside tap" config on some phones (Note 10+, and others maybe)

0.9.14 Beta:
  • fix the problems from 0.9.12 Beta

0.9.13 Beta:
  • roll back the last release because it break something

0.9.12 Beta:
  • internal refactor of the code for better development in the future. for those who use the shortcut feature, you need to recreate them
  • fix bug with PRO in app purchase. a big change on how PRO IAP is handled in the app, hopefully nothing will be impacted for those who bought pro already
  • by fixing the above problems I unblocked the development on new features

0.9.11 Beta:
  • fixed the default position of trigger zones on some phones
  • improve debug on PRO version bug

0.9.10 Beta:
  • add XDA thread link

0.9.9 Beta:
  • fix navigation bar size bug when using "bottom" position
  • add "create a copy" in advanced mode
  • add feedback and news channels (telegram, XDA, Reddit, email)
  • add vibrations and visual feedback on click settings (both are off by default)
  • take into consideration navigation bar height in advanced mode
  • change all controls from advanced mode from PX to DP
  • fix bug when "inactivity hide" is disabled

0.9.8 Beta:
  • make trigger area to not respond to long clicks if a clickable view is behind it
  • fix bug when changing back to simple mode
  • fix "create new" zone bug in advanced mode

0.9.7 Beta:
  • fix overlapping triggers when "Location" is "Bottom"
  • add 3 options to support the developer when buying the PRO

0.9.6 Beta:
  • fix bug when long click is disabled (for all non-pro and some pro)

0.9.5 Beta:
  • remove accidental taps of trigger areas (react only to drag or long tap)
  • improve click performance (fix some delay issue)
  • create shortcut to trigger the cursor from other apps (example: FNG)
  • improve accessibility service performance
  • improve performance for timer based actions
  • increase default trigger size to 16dp (because of no accidental taps)
  • fix bug on zone delete
  • fix wrong position on preview in advanced mode
  • fix bug when changing from floating mode

0.9.4 Beta:
  • rename "Move area" to "Tracker area" in swipe zones preview
  • preview both trigger zones (left and right) on simple mode
  • enable dark theme for all phones
  • fix bug with "Override force-dark" from Developer options
  • probably fix the edge side action set to nothing
  • fix main screen scroll on small devices

XDA:DevDB Information
Quick Cursor: one hand mouse pointer, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
micku7zu

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 0.9.9 Beta
Beta Release Date: 2020-04-25

Created 2020-04-25
Last Updated 2020-05-26
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	store_screenshot_1.png
Views:	538
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	5003737   Click image for larger version

Name:	store_screenshot_2.png
Views:	538
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	5003739   Click image for larger version

Name:	store_screenshot_3.png
Views:	534
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	5003741   Click image for larger version

Name:	store_screenshot_5.png
Views:	518
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	5003743   Click image for larger version

Name:	store_screenshot_4.png
Views:	480
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	5003745   Click image for larger version

Name:	store_screenshot_6.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	5003747   Click image for larger version

Name:	store_screenshot_7.png
Views:	446
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	5003749   Click image for larger version

Name:	store_screenshot_8.png
Views:	442
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	5003751  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to micku7zu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift micku7zu Ad-Free
25th April 2020, 02:14 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cluj-Napoca

Donate to Me
More
My current to do list, which contains bugs, feature requests, nice to have, possible fixed problems, ideas, etc.
It's a raw draft of what I probably should do next:
Code:
Important features:
- handle click failures in some cases with an error message and possible solution
- blacklist / whitelist QC based on app opened
- more complicated gestures (drag, swipe, and others)
- refactor "stop the app" to only disable it internally, not the full accessibility settings
- make the long click to trigger faster by interrupting the event (if possible) (also edge action swipe)
- landscape mode
- translates
- experimental mode: to enable and disable accessibility service on demand automatically

Nice to have:
- Browser accessibility mode: address bar and tabs - see if there is anything available about this
- cursor small border around
- improve PreferenceSeekBar (ideas: on click to set a fix size, steps)
- ListPreference with summary on item
- trail animation
- add cursor animation on click
- disable triggers (all) when the tracker is visible
- better ui for advanced zone
- confirm / cancel on zone editor to undo it
- import / export advanced zones
- 90hz / 120hz test (no device yet)
- implement different trigger actions on triggers
- maybe make the floating tracker to respond to swipe only (to pass the clicks)
- optimize images inside apk

Bugs:
- empty for now

Bugs fixed or probably working ok now:
- visual feedback (ripple) does not work on some Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ - tried to reproduce on two phones, couldn't reproduce it
- trigger area over permission dialog in some devices with small resolution - tried to reproduce on two phoens, couldn't reproduce it
- LG V50 not working at all (on one phone) (maybe other apps using the accessibility service)
- Galaxy S10E trigger zone bug (fixed probably)
- OnePlus 7T trigger zone with gesture problem (not fixed yet)
So, there are still a lot of things, and I will implement them week by week when I have some free time :D
25th April 2020, 02:15 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cluj-Napoca

Donate to Me
More
Exclamation
Troubleshooting

Bug: The app stops working after some time
Solution: Some manufacturers (Xiaomi, Huawei, and others) are killing the background apps even when the user doesn't want that, so the user must do some special configs to disable that.
Each manufacturer has his own settings, you can check more details about this here: https://dontkillmyapp.com

Bug: "Open settings" from Quick actions doesn't work on MIUI
Fix: "Display pop-up while in background" permission should be enabled manually for Quick Cursor in the MIUI settings. This permission is specific to MIUI.

Bug: Tapping with cursor stopped working or never worked
Possible fixes:
  • restart the Quick Cursor accessibility service
  • force stop the app from the phone settings and start the accessibility service again
  • restart the device (this worked on many devices)
  • some other accessibility services are blocking the Quick Cursor accessibility service and the app doesn\'t work. This can be fixed only by manual uninstalling other accessibility services.

Unfortunately, in some rare cases on some devices, the accessibility service can't tap or click on behalf of user because of unknown reasons.
If you are in this situation, there is no fix for the moment, but please send me your device model and Android version to gather more data why this happens.
25th April 2020, 04:04 PM |#4  
Flag Panama City Beach, FL
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Fantastic, thank you! Got the pro version.

Something I wanted from Reachability that I'm hoping you can implement as well:

An option to have the keyboard take precedence over this app's edge triggers. To prevent accidentally activating while swipe typing.
25th April 2020, 04:18 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cluj-Napoca

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjxsutton

Fantastic, thank you!

Some things I wanted from Reachability that I'm hoping you can implement as well:

An option to have the keyboard take precedence over this app's edge screens? To prevent accidentally activating while swipe typing.

Also an option to adjust the Tracker pad's opacity, all the way down to 0% (completely transparent) if desired, would be fantastic as well. Really only need to see the cursor, not the thumb control pad.

Yes, I plan to handle the keyboard by raising the trigger zones when the keyboard appears on the screen. It will be available in the next release, hopefully.

Yes, there is already an option to set the opacity to tracker, just change the opacity on the color of the tracker. Unfortunately, this customization is available only on the pro version. Settings -> Tracker -> Inside color and Outside color, change the opacity for both of them to 0.

Thanks!
25th April 2020, 04:21 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by micku7zu

Yes, I plan to handle the keyboard by raising the trigger zones when the keyboard appears on the screen. It will be available in the next release, hopefully.

Yes, there is already an option to set the opacity to tracker, just change the opacity on the color of the tracker. Unfortunately, this customization are available only on the pro version. Settings -> Tracker -> Inside color and Outside color, change the opacity for both of them to 0.

Thanks!

Yeah I found the opacity after my comment, so I went back and edited it as you were replying lol

Honestly an option to just completely disable them during keyboard would probably be best, if you're typing you probably aren't planning on clicking anything out of reach until you're done typing and the keyboard closes
The Following User Says Thank You to cjxsutton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cjxsutton Ad-Free
25th April 2020, 04:27 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cluj-Napoca

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjxsutton

Yeah I found the opacity after my comment, so I went back and edited it as you were replying lol

Honestly an option to just completely disable them during keyboard would probably be best, if you're typing you probably aren't planning on clicking anything out of reach until you're done typing and the keyboard closes

I totally agree. The first thing I need to do is to detect the keyboard and handle it. After that, I will make it configurable:
  • Triggers over the keyboard
  • Triggers removed
  • Triggers moved above the keyboard

Because everyone wants it differently.

Thanks!
25th April 2020, 05:45 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 841

More
So we finally have an XDA thread for this wonderful app. 🔥

A huge shout out to the dev (@micku7zu). He is absolutely amazing and super responsive to all questions, feature requests, bug reports, etc. 🙌🏼
The Following User Says Thank You to AbhishekS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AbhishekS Ad-Free
26th April 2020, 01:51 AM |#9  

More
App just dumped all my customizations and is telling me to activate pro version even though it already was. Basically acting like I just downloaded it now for the very first time and never bought it or changed any settings. Please investigate. I don't know if you just updated it or something but yeah it basically did a complete reset. Kinda sucks because I had it exactly how I wanted it, and it took a while trying to get precise numbers with that slider (I'd also recommend letting us click on the number to set it instead of just the slider).

Screenshots:
https://bit.ly/3eT6Brx
https://bit.ly/2Y7yfer
https://bit.ly/3bF6z4L

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Also being able to put a little black border around the white parts of the cursor would be great. Pretty much exactly how it is now but with a thin black outline on the center dot and outer circle, to make it stand out on a white background like a webpage or something, without having to permanently change it to a darker color all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to cjxsutton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cjxsutton Ad-Free
26th April 2020, 06:05 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cluj-Napoca

Donate to Me
More
Yeah, those sliders should have a custom way to input the numbers. I will work on the UI, because currently it is not that great but it does the job.
Great idea with cursor border, I noted the feature request.

About the PRO version problem, I had this bug before, and it is really strange because Google Play Store reports the purchase as not there or in pending, but the purchase was already made and reported as 'purchased' before. I integrated the Google Play Billing library from Google for in app purchases. So I just ask Google what is the current state of the purchase, the response is ok and after some time it tells me that the purchase is 'pending' or not there.

If you have the time and can help me, I can send you a debug version that will print some debug info for me to understand the problem better.

Otherwise, if you just want your app to work again, the only solution I found is to clear the cache (or the app data) of the Play Store from your phone. After that, Play Store will report again the purchase and the application will update to PRO again.

I apologize for these problems, I can't control what Play Store returns, I don't know why it returns bad data, but if you have time to help with debug, it would help me to understand the problem better.
26th April 2020, 09:27 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cluj-Napoca

Donate to Me
More
I have updated the app to 0.9.11 Beta and added some debug information on PRO. Tap 7 times on the text below the buy buttons and a debug info will appear below! Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)