FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][2.0.1+][Root] Samba Filesharing Server for Android [Play & Dev builds]

199 posts
Thanks Meter: 226

By JimmyChingala, Senior Member on 3rd July 2014, 10:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
[Page migrated from the previous thread for this APP at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...39#post8239139 ]

Access the external storage card in your Android device over wifi / network as a SMB / Windows shared folder.

This app requires your device to already have:
* root access.
* Superuser 2.3.6.2 or later, from Android Market (may work with other Android 'su' implementations but I havent tested with many others).

Installation
* Install the current Google Play version
* A Development version is also available (see below).

On the first run, make sure you catch the SuperUser Auth request to allow the Samba Filesharing app root access.

Also, the first run will be a bit slow, the app has to unpack some additional binaries into its private data space.

GPL: Based on the awesome UNIX http://www.samba.org/ project - Samba GPL licensing information including source code modification details are included in the app. Once installed go to Menu -> Settings -> About.

Screen shots
Click image for larger version

Name:	110905main_full.png
Views:	8958
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	2830116 Click image for larger version

Name:	110905prefs_01_full.png
Views:	8827
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2830117 Click image for larger version

Name:	110905prefs_02_full.png
Views:	8602
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2830118 Click image for larger version

Name:	110905prefs_03_full.png
Views:	7727
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2830119

If you like this app, please consider making a small donation. Not to me, but to one of the charities I strongly support: Cancer Research, or Animal Welfare.

Larest Dev build attached below, and includes some additional customisable options for new features in development, and manual edits to the smb.conf (use at your own peril, but please report successes etc back here)

- To install: unzip, and either:
- ADB: adb install SambaFilesharing<version>.apk
- FileManager: Copy the APK to /sdcard on your device, then launch with a filemanager program (like Astro).

(The below SambaFilesharing-dev-130413.zip is the the Google Play 140525 version with extra dev options turned on )
Attached Files
File Type: zip SambaFilesharing-dev-130413.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.83 MB, 17899 views)
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to JimmyChingala For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JimmyChingala Ad-Free
3rd July 2014, 04:29 PM |#2  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 181

More
Good idea JC, allows you to control the FAQ info in the first post directly. Welcome back again too.

Andre
3rd July 2014, 06:42 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Neither the Play Store nor the dev build are working for me. When I try to input a password I get "Error changing password There was an error updating the password file - please check logcat" Also, when I try to do the "Uninstall Samba Filesharing" from the setting menu, it crashes (popup "Unfortunately Samba Filesharing has stopped.") I am using Moto X, Android 4.4.3. I"ve been using this SAMBA for years, not having it working now is very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyronAz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MyronAz Ad-Free
4th July 2014, 02:33 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 226

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronAz

Neither the Play Store nor the dev build are working for me. When I try to input a password I get "Error changing password There was an error updating the password file - please check logcat" Also, when I try to do the "Uninstall Samba Filesharing" from the setting menu, it crashes (popup "Unfortunately Samba Filesharing has stopped.") I am using Moto X, Android 4.4.3. I"ve been using this SAMBA for years, not having it working now is very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

What version superuser do you use?

Can you generate & send me a support log right after the problem occurs (PM me, pls dont post it here) and i'll take a look.

- jc
4th July 2014, 06:55 AM |#5  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 3,042

Donate to Me
More
Hi jimmy, thanx for new version, but there are two problems at least:

1.) I can not enable second shared folder
2.) Failed to create support log

Device: i9300
Rom: cm11 latest nightly

My guess for logfile would be that you have to create it in sdcard/android/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/ as kitkat restricts access to sdcard for apps.

Second shared folder is detected to be in mnt/media_rw/sdcard1 but this locarion is not present. It is located in mnt/ExtSdCard
5th July 2014, 03:05 PM |#6  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 181

More
Can I check, I'm already running 130413 (dev) - is it really exactly the same as the newer 140525, apart from the Don't Save Config feature? Just seems a long gap, I assumed 140525 had some other changes?

Andre
7th July 2014, 01:11 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyChingala

Hi,

What version superuser do you use?

Can you generate & send me a support log right after the problem occurs (PM me, pls dont post it here) and i'll take a look.

- jc

JC, I sent you a PM July 4. Did you get it?
9th July 2014, 02:19 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same problem here
I use cyanogenmod 11 M7 (Android 4.4.3) and I can't get it working. I have the same problems as FadeFx and MyronAz. I enabled ART instead of Dalvik. Can it be related?

My device is unlocked and rooted.

The SU app is the one included in CyanogenMod. Do I need to install SuperSU?

Does anyone has a fix for this?

Thank you
9th July 2014, 03:20 PM |#9  

More
I am also using ART.
I was originally using SuperSU. I tried switching to CM Superuser, didn't make any difference. Stock ROM (4.4.3, Moto X), rooted of course.
9th July 2014, 04:41 PM |#10  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 3,042

Donate to Me
More
Seems not related, as i use dalvik
9th July 2014, 08:59 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
CyanogenMod M8 was release today. Did somebody tested the application using it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)