[APP][2.0.1+][Root] Samba Filesharing Server for Android [Play & Dev builds]

Search This thread

JimmyChingala

Apr 14, 2010
Melbourne
[Page migrated from the previous thread for this APP at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=8239139#post8239139 ]

Access the external storage card in your Android device over wifi / network as a SMB / Windows shared folder.

This app requires your device to already have:
* root access.
* Superuser 2.3.6.2 or later, from Android Market (may work with other Android 'su' implementations but I havent tested with many others).

Installation
* Install the current Google Play version
* A Development version is also available (see below).

On the first run, make sure you catch the SuperUser Auth request to allow the Samba Filesharing app root access.

Also, the first run will be a bit slow, the app has to unpack some additional binaries into its private data space.

GPL: Based on the awesome UNIX http://www.samba.org/ project - Samba GPL licensing information including source code modification details are included in the app. Once installed go to Menu -> Settings -> About.

Screen shots
110905main_full.png 110905prefs_01_full.png 110905prefs_02_full.png 110905prefs_03_full.png

If you like this app, please consider making a small donation. Not to me, but to one of the charities I strongly support: Cancer Research, or Animal Welfare.

Larest Dev build attached below, and includes some additional customisable options for new features in development, and manual edits to the smb.conf (use at your own peril, but please report successes etc back here)

- To install: unzip, and either:
- ADB: adb install SambaFilesharing<version>.apk
- FileManager: Copy the APK to /sdcard on your device, then launch with a filemanager program (like Astro).

(The below SambaFilesharing-dev-130413.zip is the the Google Play 140525 version with extra dev options turned on )

Attachments

• SambaFilesharing-dev-130413.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 19,008
Last edited:

MyronAz

Sep 28, 2013
Neither the Play Store nor the dev build are working for me. When I try to input a password I get "Error changing password There was an error updating the password file - please check logcat" Also, when I try to do the "Uninstall Samba Filesharing" from the setting menu, it crashes (popup "Unfortunately Samba Filesharing has stopped.") I am using Moto X, Android 4.4.3. I"ve been using this SAMBA for years, not having it working now is very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: rockpaperlizard

JimmyChingala

Apr 14, 2010
Melbourne
Neither the Play Store nor the dev build are working for me. When I try to input a password I get "Error changing password There was an error updating the password file - please check logcat" Also, when I try to do the "Uninstall Samba Filesharing" from the setting menu, it crashes (popup "Unfortunately Samba Filesharing has stopped.") I am using Moto X, Android 4.4.3. I"ve been using this SAMBA for years, not having it working now is very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

What version superuser do you use?

Can you generate & send me a support log right after the problem occurs (PM me, pls dont post it here) and i'll take a look.

- jc

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Hi jimmy, thanx for new version, but there are two problems at least:

1.) I can not enable second shared folder
2.) Failed to create support log

Device: i9300
Rom: cm11 latest nightly

My guess for logfile would be that you have to create it in sdcard/android/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/ as kitkat restricts access to sdcard for apps.

Second shared folder is detected to be in mnt/media_rw/sdcard1 but this locarion is not present. It is located in mnt/ExtSdCard

Last edited:

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham
Can I check, I'm already running 130413 (dev) - is it really exactly the same as the newer 140525, apart from the Don't Save Config feature? Just seems a long gap, I assumed 140525 had some other changes?

Andre

untroll

Jul 9, 2014
Same problem here

I use cyanogenmod 11 M7 (Android 4.4.3) and I can't get it working. I have the same problems as FadeFx and MyronAz. I enabled ART instead of Dalvik. Can it be related?

My device is unlocked and rooted.

The SU app is the one included in CyanogenMod. Do I need to install SuperSU?

Does anyone has a fix for this?

Thank you

MyronAz

Sep 28, 2013
I am also using ART.
I was originally using SuperSU. I tried switching to CM Superuser, didn't make any difference. Stock ROM (4.4.3, Moto X), rooted of course.

Last edited:

untroll

Jul 9, 2014
The solution

I found a solution!

The problem is related to the shared folder "/storage/emulated/0" which doesn't exists through samba (don't ask me why! :eek:).

Unfortunately, we cannot change this shared folder path in "Samba FileSharing" but if you download the application "Sambadroid" you will be able to change it to "/storage/sdcard0" and it will work!:D

I hope this will help you guys! :laugh:

MyronAz

Sep 28, 2013
I found a solution!

The problem is related to the shared folder "/storage/emulated/0" which doesn't exists through samba (don't ask me why! :eek:).

Unfortunately, we cannot change this shared folder path in "Samba FileSharing" but if you download the application "Sambadroid" you will be able to change it to "/storage/sdcard0" and it will work!:D

I hope this will help you guys! :laugh:

When you say "it will work", you mean Sambadroid will work, not SAMBA, correct?

For me, Sambadroid worked even without changing the share. I was not able to access the share by it's name, but was able to using the IP address.

untroll

Jul 9, 2014
When you say "it will work", you mean Sambadroid will work, not SAMBA, correct?

For me, Sambadroid worked even without changing the share. I was not able to access the share by it's name, but was able to using the IP address.

I meant SambaDroid will allow you to access your data thru Samba protocol.

If you can't access the share by the name, check if your computer is configured with the same workgroup as in SambaDroid's settings. If not, change it in SambaDroid's options.

MyronAz

Sep 28, 2013
I meant SambaDroid will allow you to access your data thru Samba protocol.

If you can't access the share by the name, check if your computer is configured with the same workgroup as in SambaDroid's settings. If not, change it in SambaDroid's options.

The workgroup is the same in both devices. The Sambadroid device does show up in the network list on the pc but when I try to access it I get an error. It's not that big a deal, I can just use the quad.

I recall reading somewhere that Windows 7 doesn't like non-password guest accounts for SMB. I thought maybe changing the user account in Sambadroid to one requiring a password might help. It didn't make any difference. Interestingly I still had access using the quad, without a password!

What OpSys are you using untroll?

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Please dont discuss sambadroid here, as the dj in our vilage disco used to say back then: dont smoke on my dancefloor, i dont dance in your ashtrays either...

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

And btw, you can change the shared path and even ad multiple shares in samba filesharing by manually editing smb.conf

untroll

Jul 9, 2014
Please dont discuss sambadroid here, as the dj in our vilage disco used to say back then: dont smoke on my dancefloor, i dont dance in your ashtrays either...

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

And btw, you can change the shared path and even ad multiple shares in samba filesharing by manually editing smb.conf

You are right, I didn't realize that! Thanks for the hint!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Page migrated from the previous thread for this APP at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=8239139#post8239139 ]

Access the external storage card in your Android device over wifi / network as a SMB / Windows shared folder.

This app requires your device to already have:
    * root access.
    * Superuser 2.3.6.2 or later, from Android Market (may work with other Android 'su' implementations but I havent tested with many others).

Installation
    * Install the current Google Play version
    * A Development version is also available (see below).

On the first run, make sure you catch the SuperUser Auth request to allow the Samba Filesharing app root access.

Also, the first run will be a bit slow, the app has to unpack some additional binaries into its private data space.

GPL: Based on the awesome UNIX http://www.samba.org/ project - Samba GPL licensing information including source code modification details are included in the app. Once installed go to Menu -> Settings -> About.

Screen shots
    110905main_full.png 110905prefs_01_full.png 110905prefs_02_full.png 110905prefs_03_full.png

If you like this app, please consider making a small donation. Not to me, but to one of the charities I strongly support: Cancer Research, or Animal Welfare.

Larest Dev build attached below, and includes some additional customisable options for new features in development, and manual edits to the smb.conf (use at your own peril, but please report successes etc back here)

- To install: unzip, and either:
    - ADB: adb install SambaFilesharing<version>.apk
    - FileManager: Copy the APK to /sdcard on your device, then launch with a filemanager program (like Astro).

(The below SambaFilesharing-dev-130413.zip is the the Google Play 140525 version with extra dev options turned on )
    I was happy to found your app, but nothing works (I have paid in the meantime):
    1. I cannot make a new user
    2. I cannot change sharings etc.
    3. I cannot change device name and so on.

your app does not accept any input :(

Until now I am using Samba FileServer or SambaDroid

You could make a own XDA thread here if your app really works.

Sony Z1c stock rom 5.1.1 rooted

I opened a new thread dedicated to LAN drive here :
    [APP][4.0.3+][Root] LAN drive - Samba Filesharing Server SMB1 and SMB2
    Feel free to post here ;)
    We dont know, only @JimmyChingala can answer that. But as he seems quite busy in his real life, he probably missed something and google suspended his dev account.

tapatalked from lollipopped i9300
    I am experiencing both of these exact problems on a Moto G. Were solutions to either or both of these problems found?

I think it is a problem of file-permissions on MOTOs
    here my solution (just testing):
    set permissions to 755 (eg. with root browser)
    for smb.conf to 755 the password-error is gone
    but sfs does not start so I set com.funkyfesh.samba and alle files in it (for testing) to 755
    and it works :laugh:

to share your 2nd scdard:
    copy all lines of [sdcard] ff..
    as new entry on bottom of smb.conf
    and change [sdcard] to [sdcard1]
    and path-line to your-path-of-sdcard1

scotty

Teted on Moto G 2nd Gen. 5.0.2 Lollipop
    (dev. editon from 1st. post and "Dont rewrite smb.conf" checked)
    Hello there,
    @darknessmessiah shared his workaround in LG G2 CloudyG3 thread to allow access to the application menu:
    ... access the menu by pressing and holding the task manager button
    Thanks @darknessmessiah :good: