FORUMS

[APP][4.3+] Secrecy+ (Encrypt and hide your files)

4,282 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,914

By PunchUp, Senior Member on 21st August 2017, 02:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

What is this?
This app is meant to be a spiritual successor to Secrecy, created by @Doplganger a few years ago.

I was looking for an encryption app with a good UI, which can work completely offline - no sign up, cloud syncing or other annoyance.
Secrecy seemed like a good option but had some issues which needed to be addressed. As it hasn't been updated in a long while, I decided to take a look at the code and here we are!

What does it look like?

Well, here are some screenshots!

But why is it a calculator?
I noticed some comments on Secrecy's thread (like this) which suggested that the app's icon and name scream for attention, and should be something more subtle. Which is why the Calculator is being used as a front to hide your secret data.

I do realise that this is not a foolproof disguise. But should be useful to an extent anyway. I'll also try to keep the Play store description as vague as possible.

And for those who don't want it, there will be an option to disable the calculator and go straight into the main UI soon!

Also, a big thanks to Xlythe for the code. I just made some changes to the UI
It actually does a lot more than the stock AOSP calculator. So if you like their work, do check the original one on Play store (which has some more features not included in this one yet).

Cool, so what to expect from this initial release?
Right now, I think it'll be fair to tag this as alpha. Some features from the original app are missing. And there could still possibly be some bugs here and there (your feedback required).

But all the basic stuff should work fine and I've tried to make the UI fluid and intuitive, while fixing a lot of issues. Hope you guys like it!

And what are the plans for future?
Well, there are many!

First, I will be adding all the essential features like backup/restore, etc from the original code back again.
And then, if this app gets a good response, I intend to implement more stuff like fingerprint unlock, etc

Okay, so where do I get it?
You can get it from Play store for now. Other sources will be added soon

(Please wait for a couple of hours while the first build gets published)

Please report any bugs you find.
And tell your friends about the app

Also, kudos to @Doplgangr and L-Henke of course. The code was a mess () but they did a lot of good work in there!

XDA:DevDB Information
Secrecy+, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
PunchUp, PunchUp

Version Information

Created 2017-08-21
Last Updated 2017-08-22
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PunchUp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PunchUp Ad-Free
21st August 2017, 02:31 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
How to import old Secrecy vaults?

Not recommended. But for those who really really want it.

Coming soon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PunchUp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PunchUp Ad-Free
21st August 2017, 04:16 PM |#3  
@PunchUp

Nice work on your new project!! So far so good on my end. I'll be looking forward to what you have planned with this app down the road.

Thanks for your contribution to the community sir!

Bajan
The Following User Says Thank You to Bajanman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bajanman Ad-Free
21st August 2017, 06:10 PM |#4  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Seems like a really great idea. I know it's in alpha but seems like I can't add any .txt files to the vault?

edit : force stopped on d2305, CM13
The Following User Says Thank You to prismaanandito For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift prismaanandito Ad-Free
21st August 2017, 06:36 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prismaanandito

Seems like a really great idea. I know it's in alpha but seems like I can't add any .txt files to the vault?

edit : force stopped on d2305, CM13

You can't add them at all? Or they fail to open after you add them?

On my device, I can add a text file but then it fails to open. I hadn't tested this properly. So, thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention! I'll look into it right away

And how did the crash happen? Can you send me a PM with the log please?
21st August 2017, 07:23 PM |#6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3,100

More
I'm one of those who started using Secrecy from the very beginning.
L-Henke used to share his private builds with me. But that too came to an end in 2015.
I'm so happy to see that someone finally decided to revive Secrecy.

I found 3 bugs.

1. Pin code accept more than 4 pins but there are only 4 dots which lights up when you enter a pin.

2. Vault name is LOST forever when I clear data.

3. After clearing data, when I try to enter my vault, the lockscreen shows 2 buttons "REST" and "SET". It should be " REST" and "UNLOCK". And the reset button is also disabled.

Suggestions:

1. An option to change the sorting order. This is a MUST have feature for me.

2. Ability to change Vault location and name. Currently it's in /sdcard/android/Calculator/
I want to change it to something else.

Thanks for your hard work.
21st August 2017, 08:24 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
@laura almeida thanks

Bugs:

1. This was actually intentional, since pattern and alphanumeric passwords don't have a limit. I thought if someone tries to mess with a person's phone, they might me fooled into thinking that only 4 numbers are required, when you have actually set 5 or 6 or more. What do you think?

2. This will be taken care of when I implement backup/restore. That is the reason I left it out in this initial build. Need to rewrite a lot of stuff.

3. Okay I get your point. I'll see what can be done about this.

Suggestions:

Both are already on my to-do list.

Sorting might take some time because I'm planning to add it to each vault separately. In the old code, the same is applied to all vaults.

Changing location will be available very soon. I just need to figure out what to do about KitKat, because it is the only Android version in which writing to external SD card is a major hassle. That is the reason I have removed it for now.

Thanks again for your feedback
21st August 2017, 08:44 PM |#8  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchUp

1. This was actually intentional, since pattern and alphanumeric passwords don't have a limit. I thought if someone tries to mess with a person's phone, they might me fooled into thinking that only 4 numbers are required, when you have actually set 5 or 6 or more. What do you think?

Pattern & Alphanumeric correctly shows up the number of input characters entered. In pin code it only shows 4. I personally don't have haptic feedback vibration on touch enabled. So after entering 4 pins I have no visual confirmations when entering 5th and above pins. So it is a bit confusing.

Another point. This master password will only let you show the number of vaults and it's name. Nothing more. No actual data can be retrieved from this pin code. One can easily evade this pin code by clearing app data.
So, do we really have to play ticks with this ?
21st August 2017, 09:00 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura almeida

Pattern & Alphanumeric correctly shows up the number of input characters entered. In pin code it only shows 4. I personally don't have haptic feedback vibration on touch enabled. So after entering 4 pins I have no visual confirmations when entering 5th and above pins. So it is a bit confusing.

You didn't get my point

Quote:

Another point. This master password will only let you show the number of vaults and it's name. Nothing more. No actual data can be retrieved from this pin code. One can easily evade this pin code by clearing app data.
So, do we really have to play ticks with this ?

I have many more plans for the master key.

But for now, you're right. Name encryption is the only real advantage. That is actually quite important to me though
21st August 2017, 09:09 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Another advantage is that you can use the same master key while creating new vaults. The ones created with the master key open much faster and you won't need to enter a password every time for each one
The Following User Says Thank You to PunchUp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PunchUp Ad-Free
21st August 2017, 10:20 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto

More
I won't recommend using the same master key as vault password.
It will weaken the security.
I will keep a short easy to enter key as master password and a strong lengthy individual keys for vaults. I recommend using a a randomly generated password. I can use autofill from Keepass2android to automatically enter my vaults passwords for me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)