FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][TOOL][2.0+][OFFICIAL]The SELinux Switch

9,548 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,552
 
Post Reply Email Thread
5th March 2019, 07:39 PM |#431  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,552
 
Donate to Me
More
I just wanted to quickly touch base with everyone here...

I'm still around and am still available for any questions and such.

I had set the scheduled update for this development back for a short while as I prepare to test the Switch App on my GS5 devices using the recent Official LineageOS 16.0 builds for the klte devices.

I just didn't want to state that it will definitely work for the Official LineageOS 16.0 until I can personally confirm this.

I am aware of this development having issues with a majority of the Unofficial LineageOS 16.0 builds because those builds are not SEAndroid Capable preventing the SELinux State from being changed.

I am definitely not stating this as a fact for all Custom Pie Firmware for all devices but, only for those I have.

I'll keep everyone in the loop as to any additional information as much as I can.

Thank you all for your time, patience, support and understanding with this!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
6th March 2019, 02:43 AM |#432  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,552
 
Donate to Me
More
I had decided to push an update earlier today. I had performed some very minor touch ups and such.

I just wanted to provide what I had before trying it out on the LineageOS 16.0 and, hopefully not requiring any real additional work but, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks a bunch!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
7th March 2019, 11:02 PM |#433  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,552
 
Donate to Me
More
It looks like I may have to do a little research regarding the Switch Apps compatibility for Android 9...

This is all depending upon the resolution regarding the Official AddonSU for the LineageOS 16.0 not maintaining Root for both the BusyBox and the Switch App.

After successfully giving Root access to the 2 apps, and then rebooting the device, none of the apps are able to locate the SU Binary even though the system reflects that Root was successfully granted to them.

I'm just keeping you all up to date with this for awareness so you know that I know that you know that I know... LMAO!

Thanks a bunch!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
8th March 2019, 03:36 AM |#434  
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 342
 
More
@Ibuprophen

Thanks for your efforts

Slightly OT and I hope you would clarify. Mounting system rw borks OTA. Similar to this does changing SELinux mode affect OTA? Why or why not.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks
8th March 2019, 03:47 AM |#435  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,552
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeshyams

... Slightly OT and I hope you would clarify. Mounting system rw borks OTA. Similar to this does changing SELinux mode affect OTA? Why or why not....

Mounting a System RW is called Root. Rooting is the name for the ability to Modify a devices System that is otherwise restricted to Modifications.

The devices SEAndroid Policies are a part of this System and you would need to be Rooted in order to even be able to access the SEAndroid Policy to modify it and allow for the SELinux State to be changed (that's typically done via a Custom Kernel).

It's not a question of the SELinux State affecting an OTA but, the Root Access itself that may affect it.

I hope this clarifies your question... :thumbup:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
8th March 2019, 04:16 AM |#436  
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 342
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

Mounting a System RW is called Root. Rooting is the name for the ability to Modify a devices System that is otherwise restricted to Modifications.

The devices SEAndroid Policies are a part of this System and you would need to be Rooted in order to even be able to access the SEAndroid Policy to modify it and allow for the SELinux State to be changed (that's typically done via a Custom Kernel).

It's not a question of the SELinux State affecting an OTA but, the Root Access itself that may affect it.

I hope this clarifies your question... :thumbup:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.

Thanks for for your very prompt reply and patient explanation

It's my fault that I didn't explain clearly. Please bear with me. My device is rooted with Magisk and passes all checks and am waiting to update OTA

If I change SELinux state since there is an app that says it works better with permissive, I am not sure that will affect OTA. If it doesn't I want to try your app!

And related I know one can change via the terminal too but I don't know if doing so will affect OTA

Thanks for your patience too!
8th March 2019, 04:50 PM |#437  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,552
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeshyams

Thanks for for your very prompt reply and patient explanation .........

To be honest, personally, I have never heard of a devices SELinux State affecting an OTA but, if another member on this thread has any knowledge of this otherwise then please let us know.

Bottom line is that, even though I've never heard of it doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't/won't happen.

My first instinct would be that the SELinux State of a Device won't specifically affect an OTA.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
8th March 2019, 04:55 PM |#438  
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 342
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

To be honest, personally, I have never heard of a devices SELinux State affecting an OTA but, if another member on this thread has any knowledge of this otherwise then please let us know.

Bottom line is that, even though I've never heard of it doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't/won't happen.

My first instinct would be that the SELinux State of a Device won't specifically affect an OTA.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.

Thanks - I would take your word for it anyday!

Seeing a Magisk module for this purpose put the thought in mind, probably it was packaged for convenience
The Following User Says Thank You to beeshyams For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift beeshyams Ad-Free
8th March 2019, 05:06 PM |#439  
Ibuprophen's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York
Thanks Meter: 6,552
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeshyams

Thanks - I would take your word for it anyday! Seeing a Magisk module for this purpose put the thought in mind, probably it was packaged for convenience

Remember that I am just providing a "Best Guess" Judgment...

Please let me know if you see any OTA issues that specifically relates to the SELinux State and I'll see what I can locate (doing a little homework).

I appreciate your input and always value the statement "Knowledge Is Power".

Good Luck!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.
8th March 2019, 06:27 PM |#440  
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeshyams

Thanks for for your very prompt reply and patient explanation

It's my fault that I didn't explain clearly. Please bear with me. My device is rooted with Magisk and passes all checks and am waiting to update OTA

If I change SELinux state since there is an app that says it works better with permissive, I am not sure that will affect OTA. If it doesn't I want to try your app!

And related I know one can change via the terminal too but I don't know if doing so will affect OTA

Thanks for your patience too!

Typically, OTA updates can't successfully be applied to rooted devices or devices that have a custom recovery installed, OTA updates require an unmodified system partition and they require having stock recovery installed.

If you have a device that is rooted or has a custom recovery installed, the OTA update will more than likely fail when it detects that the system partition has been modified, then your device may be bricked and need to be recovered, typically, by flashing the stock firmware to restore the device.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

Remember that I am just providing a "Best Guess" Judgment...

Please let me know if you see any OTA issues that specifically relates to the SELinux State and I'll see what I can locate (doing a little homework).

I appreciate your input and always value the statement "Knowledge Is Power".

Good Luck!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UNLESS asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Enigma Machine {aenigma = Latin for "Riddle"}.

I don't know of any conflicts between OTA and SELinux/SEAndroid policy, but root is definitely an issue when it comes to OTA, in almost all cases. "Some" devices can OTA even with root and still be fine after the update, but that is pretty rare, in general, it doesn't work on other devices, the update usually fails and the device becomes bricked.

As you said, it requires root in order to modify SE policy, which is itself an issue even if you don't modify SE policy. You'd have to have one of the few devices that can OTA update even with root to even test the idea of whether SE policy effects OTA.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
8th March 2019, 07:08 PM |#441  
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 342
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

Typically, OTA updates can't successfully be applied to rooted devices or devices that have a custom recovery installed, OTA updates require an unmodified system partition and they require having stock recovery installed.

If you have a device that is rooted or has a custom recovery installed, the OTA update will more than likely fail when it detects that the system partition has been modified, then your device may be bricked and need to be recovered, typically, by flashing the stock firmware to restore the device.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

I don't know of any conflicts between OTA and SELinux/SEAndroid policy, but root is definitely an issue when it comes to OTA, in almost all cases. "Some" devices can OTA even with root and still be fine after the update, but that is pretty rare, in general, it doesn't work on other devices, the update usually fails and the device becomes bricked.

As you said, it requires root in order to modify SE policy, which is itself an issue even if you don't modify SE policy. You'd have to have one of the few devices that can OTA update even with root to even test the idea of whether SE policy effects OTA.

Thanks for your response

Being rooted with Magisk, it was possible to get OTA - my device is A/B partitions (MiA1) either by Magisk or by flashing stock boot. No custom recovery. But yes, it's not always smooth and I had my share of bricks!

That's why I am being extra cautious. After upgrading to Pie I thought of not when trying OTA but because of horrible audio giving it a second thought, hoping the buggy audio is fixed.

Fingers crossed

Thanks for your thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to beeshyams For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift beeshyams Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
selinux, selinuxmodechanger, switch, toggle

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes