Thanks Meter: 6,547

Post Reply Email Thread
5th July 2019, 02:46 AM |#511  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York

Donate to Me
More
I was playing around with an animation type app and how does this look?

~DELETED as a practice run.~

I know that it cut off a few spots but, it's my first try...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unless asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Apple Macintosh.
5th July 2019, 08:12 PM |#512  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello!

I am hoping that I'll be able to get some help.
I have a Samsung SM-T580 tablet running Android Oreo 8.1 and rooted using TWRP + DM-VERITY-OPT-ENCRYPTION 6.0 + latest SuperSU.
Works great except Stericson Busybox did not want to install onto it. Managed to install Busybox using a flashable package through TWRP.
Busybox checker reports it as installed.

However I want to set SELinux to PERMISSIVE to be able to use Root Uninstaller apps and such and I tried "The SELinux Switch" but no matter what I do it just reverts back to "Enforcing". I have given the app full root access but even so no matter what I do I can't set SELinux to permissive. If there is a way to fix this I would love to hear how to go about doing it.
6th July 2019, 01:35 AM |#513  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdafan2015

Hello! I am hoping that I'll be able to get some help..........

I see...

I believe that you might be a bit off as to the additional requirement regarding the devices specific ability to set your SELinux Mode to Permissive.

The app does require BusyBox and Root BUT, your device requires its ability to have its SEAndroid Policy changed.

This requires this ability by the use of either a Custom Kernel or Custom Firmware.

The SELinux Switch App doesn't provide this specific ability. It's only able to change/utilize this ONLY if devices SEAndroid Policy is modified already to allow for the Change.

I hope that I had explained this okay via text... :thumbup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unless asked to do so, PLEASE don't PM me regarding support. Sent using The ClaRetoX Forum App on my Apple Macintosh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
6th July 2019, 10:17 AM |#514  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuprophen

I see...
This requires this ability by the use of either a Custom Kernel or Custom Firmware.
The SELinux Switch App doesn't provide this specific ability. It's only able to change/utilize this ONLY if devices SEAndroid Policy is modified already to allow for the Change. I hope that I had explained this okay via text... :thumbup:

Thank you for your response, this explains perfectly why this isn't working for me. I did some looking around and it seems like there is a custom kernel/boot for the SM-T580 that would enable the change from enforcing to permissive SELinux, but it also indicates that one might have to wipe and reinstall the whole tablet and then also re-root it again which is not something I am going to do since I got this tablet for my dad.

The tablet was supposed to come with Android 6.0 on it which (as far as I know) is not as locked down as Android 8.1, but the tablet we got was an updated one. I could have just flashed it back to Android 6.0 using an image from Sammobile I guess but since this one was for my dad I didn't really want to do more than necessary.
7th July 2019, 10:42 PM |#515  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you for your response, this explains perfectly...........

It's a challenge to provide guidance for devices I don't actually use myself. I do my best based upon my working knowledge of those.

Your best bet is to go to the following Device Dedicated Area of the forum that's specific to your device and variants for support and guidance from those who has/has knowledge of this device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-a

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8th July 2019, 12:03 PM |#516  

More
Quote:

It's a challenge to provide guidance for devices I don't actually use myself. I do my best based upon my working knowledge of those. Your best bet is to go to the following Device Dedicated Area of the forum that's specific to your device and variants for support and guidance from those who has/has knowledge of this device.

Thanks again for your help. I did look at the link you provided but it's still a little weird here. Titanium Backup still will not see the root (cannot obtain root) as well as Trimming apps being unable to trim, and Root Uninstaller apps showing every installed app as being 0 byte in size. And ES File Explorer refusing Root functionality turning it on turns it back off after a while saying that the device doesn't support it.

It's a bit of a headache this. And yes I thought it was all about the SELinux being enforcing, but then I took a look at my moms tablet (another model Samsung) that runs Android 6.0, and that one is rooted and everything working yet as I looked it also has SELinux in enforcing mode....

Is Oreo and newer Android OS so locked down??
8th July 2019, 09:25 PM |#517  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks again for your help. I did look at the link you provided but it's still a little weird here..........

Your still confusing Root and SELinux...

FYI... The Implementation of "SELinux" (aka Security Enhanced Linux) was actually implemented upon the release of Android v4.3 (aka Lollipop or LP) back in, I think, bet. 2012-2013.

Anyways.... No worries, this is actually a common occurrence (in one form or another).

I don't believe that you really NEED to have your device in a "Permissive Mode". I believe that your actual situation is "Root" related (specifically one or more items not receiving its needed Superuser Access). If your device is not "Properly Rooted" then this can/may/might be related to that "some are obtaining root access and some are not" type of situation your in.

I'll try to help clarify the differences a bit for you the best way I can. This is a challenge for most individuals (like myself) because it's difficult to explain this without creating more confusion as there's so much to them both.

Just remember, even though someone can simply/easily state something like "Night & Day" (for example), there's more details that make it "Night & Day" and those reasons thereof.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ROOTING: Rooting allows users to attain a devices "Privileged Control" (aka Root Access) over the various areas of the Root Android System (the Files/Folders pertinent in the operation of the Android Operating System).

The specific access/permission (that's granted/denied) to those said Privileged Area(s) of the Android Operating System is an Administrative Access (aka Superuser Access).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SELINUX: A Quick Background info for SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux), to begin with, is as follows...

SELinux was actually created/enforced by the USA's "NSA" (yes... The National Security Agency - aka "The Man"... LOL! ).

The SELinux was/is technically the part of the devices MAC System (aka Mandatory Access Control System) to replace the DAC System (aka Discretionary Access Control System).

The technical difference between the "DAC System" and the "MAC System" is actually "the means" by which the users/applications are able to gain access to certain (sensitive) areas within the device (there's much more to this but, that's the basic/bottom line).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that, technically, there's really very few reasons for the need to be in "Permissive Mode" UNLESS it's primarily for developmental purposes (that encompasses only a handful of items).

PLEASE NOTE: If a developer(s)/anyone provides ANYTHING that requires a change in the/a devices "SEAndroid Policy" (aka SELinux State) to be in a "Permissive Mode", this developer(s) REALLY should be providing this information AND reason(s) solely for the users awareness.

I just see SO MANY individuals get that "Surprise Factor" after the fact that results in a number of unintended issues. These can/may include when an individual has an issue like trying to get back to Enforcing Mode and some apps stop working (as well as some others) resulting in various issues. What gets me is the various, but ultimately the same, response from the developers like "oh yeah" or "Oops, forgot to mention this" (and similar).

A member who doesn't know, understand, is aware of, etc... their device requiring to be in a Permissive Mode (for one reason or another) can be "Potentially Dangerous" to the device, and even, the individual themselves regarding certain personal items within the device itself.

I am actually in an "Enforcing Mode" about 98% (+/-) of the time. When there's a time/need, to be in a "Permissive Mode", I always know the reason(s) why and how long.

Okay... Enough of the ranting style education, explanation, etc... and I do hope that I had explained the above information okay via text...

If you have any further "SELinux" questions (of course including the Switch App too), please let me know and I'll try to answer it the best way I can.

I do wish you the Best of Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8th July 2019, 10:51 PM |#518  
Thanks Meter: 346

More
Quote:

FYI... The Implementation of "SELinux" (aka Security Enhanced Linux) was actually implemented upon the release of Android v4.3 (aka Lollipop or LP) back in, I think, bet. 2012-2013.

Anyways.... No worries, this is actually a common occurrence (in one form or another).

I don't believe that you really NEED to have your device in a "Permissive Mode". I believe that your actual situation is "Root" related (specifically one or more items not receiving its needed Superuser Access). If your device is not "Properly Rooted" then this can/may/might be related to that "some are obtaining root access and some are not" type of situation your in.

I'll try to help clarify the differences a bit for you the best way I can. This is a challenge for most individuals (like myself) because it's difficult to explain this without creating more confusion as there's so much to them both.

Just remember, even though someone can simply/easily state something like "Night & Day" (for example), there's more details that make it "Night & Day" and those reasons thereof.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ROOTING: Rooting allows users to attain a devices "Privileged Control" (aka Root Access) over the various areas of the Root Android System (the Files/Folders pertinent in the operation of the Android Operating System).

The specific access/permission (that's granted/denied) to those said Privileged Area(s) of the Android Operating System is an Administrative Access (aka Superuser Access).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SELINUX: A Quick Background info for SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux), to begin with, is as follows...

SELinux was actually created/enforced by the USA's "NSA" (yes... The National Security Agency - aka "The Man"... LOL! ).

The SELinux was/is technically the part of the devices MAC System (aka Mandatory Access Control System) to replace the DAC System (aka Discretionary Access Control System).

The technical difference between the "DAC System" and the "MAC System" is actually "the means" by which the users/applications are able to gain access to certain (sensitive) areas within the device (there's much more to this but, that's the basic/bottom line).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that, technically, there's really very few reasons for the need to be in "Permissive Mode" UNLESS it's primarily for developmental purposes (that encompasses only a handful of items).

PLEASE NOTE: If a developer(s)/anyone provides ANYTHING that requires a change in the/a devices "SEAndroid Policy" (aka SELinux State) to be in a "Permissive Mode", this developer(s) REALLY should be providing this information AND reason(s) solely for the users awareness.

I just see SO MANY individuals get that "Surprise Factor" after the fact that results in a number of unintended issues. These can/may include when an individual has an issue like trying to get back to Enforcing Mode and some apps stop working (as well as some others) resulting in various issues. What gets me is the various, but ultimately the same, response from the developers like "oh yeah" or "Oops, forgot to mention this" (and similar).

A member who doesn't know, understand, is aware of, etc... their device requiring to be in a Permissive Mode (for one reason or another) can be "Potentially Dangerous" to the device, and even, the individual themselves regarding certain personal items within the device itself.

I am actually in an "Enforcing Mode" about 98% (+/-) of the time. When there's a time/need, to be in a "Permissive Mode", I always know the reason(s) why and how long.

Okay... Enough of the ranting style education, explanation, etc... and I do hope that I had explained the above information okay via text...

If you have any further "SELinux" questions (of course including the Switch App too), please let me know and I'll try to answer it the best way I can.

I do wish you the Best of Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very Informative Read

(9//9)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoochyX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PoochyX Ad-Free
8th July 2019, 10:58 PM |#519  

More
Quote:

First of all let me THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to do this write up on root vs SELinux and educating me on these topics.
I really truly appreciate it.

Having said that the thing is I thought at first that the apps that are not working properly or do not get root as they should were such that on the SM-T580 and under Oreo Android 8.1 they required SELinux Permissive. However this assumption of mine was wrong.

You see I have rooted a good number of phones and tablets from the ZTE Blade running Android 2.1 Eclaire to more recent devices like the Samsung Galaxy S5 under Android 5.0 Lollipop, and Android 6.0 as well as my moms Samsung Note8 running Android 7.0 Nougat. Never had a single issue with any of these devices and getting them rooted, busybox and Xposed installed and everything working...

This Samsung SM-T580 with Android 8.0 Oreo is the first one that has not been working 100% the way I expect it to after rooting.
Everything worked perfectly getting TWRP recovery on the device (using an updated version for T580), then putting the Noverity-Opt-Encryption 6.0 fix and Supersu 2.82 SR5 on it. Installing Busybox not with Stericson installer but with Busybox for Android installer.

Using Root/Busybox checker says device is rooted and busybox installed.

Most apps work exactly as expected and is given root except some. Nothing indicating anything went wrong during rooting.
Also I did look at some of the other devices that I rooted and none of them had SELinux set to Permissive. Still worked 100%.

I'll ask around in the section you pointed me to where people were discussing T580....
The Following User Says Thank You to xdafan2015 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdafan2015 Ad-Free
9th July 2019, 03:01 AM |#520  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

First of all let me THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to do this.............

Please don't get me wrong...

I wasn't knocking anything on your end but, just pointing out the differences along with a little clarity.

The ending portion was more of an awareness for everyone as well that I took the information for you and stated this information for everyone in a "member helping member" way.

1 more thing regarding the ending portion...

It's really a challenge when it comes to other members having difficulty regarding their SELinux...

I've seen so many cases where they have something like a Custom Firmware installed that's in a Testing, Alpha, Beta, etc... Stage whereas the developers (understandably and for a good reason) has the Firmware set in a "Permanent Permissive Mode". This is typically (in most cases) only temporary until its stable enough to release it with the SELinux State set to the normal/default "Enforcing Mode.

The kicker is that in many/most cases, when the Custom Firmware is in the "Permanent Permissive Mode", the Developer(s) doesn't provide this Awareness to the individuals as, I believe, should be a standard for anything that reflects the SELinux State. Especially when a Permanent Permissive Mode is set as a Standard/Requirement.

I feel everyone has a right when it comes to the ability to switch/change their SELinux State, but everyone who decides to do this, has a responsibility to educate themselves too. This also goes for other things like Rooting and such.

Okay... I'm done... LOL!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
10th July 2019, 10:56 PM |#521  
OP Senior Member
Flag Upstate New York

Donate to Me
More
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I just tried something different for the Switch App and REALLY crapped out on it... LOL!

It wasn't a show stopper but, always a lesson learned... :thumbup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibuprophen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ibuprophen Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
selinux, selinuxmodechanger, switch, toggle

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)