FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP]Simple Recovery Switcher

6,629 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,535

By graffixnyc, Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 25th August 2014, 12:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I made this app because I got sick of flashing stock recovery when a GPE OTA came, and then flashing back to a custom. I also wanted to cut my teeth on Android App Development so here it is. My first app..
Description
Must have ROOT and Busybox installed.

Instructions:
To use the one tap method:
1. place a custom recovery on your internal SD card and name it "custom.img"
2. place a stock recovery on your internal SD card and name it "stock.img" (without quotes, case matters)
3. Once they are on your internal card you can just tap "Custom" to flash to custom recovery or "Stock" to flash back to stock recovery.

To flash any recovery on your device:
1. Press the floating action button on the bottom right side of the screen.
2. Select a .img file from either internal or external SD card
3. Confirm yes or no if you want to flash
*Support for more devices added besides just devices using Snapdragon SOC's
-Should support most Terga devices
-Should support most Snapdragon devices
-Should support most Exynos devices

Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...coveryswitcher
Donate version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...switcherdonate
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to graffixnyc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th August 2014, 12:54 AM |#2  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 6,535

Donate to Me
More
reserved
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graffixnyc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2014, 10:07 PM |#3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Lisbon / Taiwan / USA
Thanks Meter: 19,164

Donate to Me
More
Awesome

Let me try on my Moto

regards
26th August 2014, 10:30 PM |#4  
Flag Independence, MO
Thanks Meter: 55

More
This looks really cool and handy. Great job! I wish that I could use it on my Note 3. Damn!
26th August 2014, 10:37 PM |#5  
Flag Fort Wayne, IN
Thanks Meter: 431

More
This'll be one to watch...
26th August 2014, 11:00 PM |#6  
hовосиби́рск
Thanks Meter: 167

More
hi, great app, a really needed one! i just bought a donate version to spupport you.

still i have a few questions:

1. on my HTC One SV the path is slightly different as it should be: /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-num/recovery structure (by-num instead of by-name) is this a typo from your side or i have an unsupported device? if so, could you add support for my device's recovery path to your app?

2. i still have the original factory recovery on my device (which is rooted and with busybox). will your app work if i've never installed custom recovery on this device before?

3. does the bootloafer need to be unlocked?

thank you!
27th August 2014, 02:25 AM |#7  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixnyc

You MUST place a stock recovery img and a custom recovery(of your choice) img onto your INTERNAL sd card(if you have both internal and external). Name them stock.img and custom.img (case matters)

The problem for me (I also have an HTC One M8) is that each OTA seems to come with a new recovery image (or it looks like a different version to me). I usually keep a copy of the OTA after download, but before applying it, then extract the new stock recovery from that so I can flash back the latest stock version after doing all my custom recovery stuff. I can't see how your app gets around the need to do that. Or am I missing something simple (and owe you an apology).
27th August 2014, 03:45 AM |#8  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 852

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkg

The problem for me (I also have an HTC One M8) is that each OTA seems to come with a new recovery image (or it looks like a different version to me). I usually keep a copy of the OTA after download, but before applying it, then extract the new stock recovery from that so I can flash back the latest stock version after doing all my custom recovery stuff. I can't see how your app gets around the need to do that. Or am I missing something simple (and owe you an apology).

I guess that the whole purpose of this app is to bypass the adb PITA where you need PC access to flash stock recovery to get the OTA, then adb fastboot reflash custom recovery etc. You can then always replace the stock recovery on your internal SD card with the latest version from the OTA.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

@graffixnyc, I really like the idea behind this app and want to buy it, but just to be clear, and it's not mentioned anywhere, is it ok for HTC One M8 Sense version? I don't know much about the partition structures.
27th August 2014, 04:07 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but in what directory can i find the stock recovery.img so i can use your app? I am currently using Philz but i thought that KitKat 4.4.3 came with it's own recovery image so it must be stored somewhere?
27th August 2014, 06:01 AM |#10  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 369

More
I hope this works on Moto e as it uses the Same path as you mentioned above. @graffixnyc
The Following User Says Thank You to @SidDev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift @SidDev Ad-Free
27th August 2014, 07:35 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 900

More
Can we use this app for M7 devices?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)