[app] [privset] [change hidden system settings via overlays] [6.0+] [root]

712 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,051
By sir mordred, Senior Member on 25th October 2017, 07:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

Hi all

Play Store Download Link:

Demo video of "Privset"

FIRST OF ALL BIG THANX TO NICHOLAS CHUM (lead developer of Substratum Project which i also participated as contributor) @nicholaschum , i wouldn't have done without his help
and of course other team mates on Substratum

What is "Privset"?

- Privset is an android app which allows users to change non-changeable device-specific system settings through overlaying android framework with help of android's RRO and OMS systems (please look at the above for detailed info)
It requires ROOT privilege to do that, so your device MUST be *rooted* in order to use the app
It reads the current status of your system settings and allows you to change it

How it works?

- Starting from Android 6.0 Google implemented RRO (runtime-resource-overlays) system into android, what is that? it simply allows changing resources of applications (colors,backgrounds,texts etc.) without touching app itself, if you heard of "Substratum", its an theme engine app which uses the same mechanism to overlay(change) application''s resources so you can change any color,background etc of any app via "Substratum" by installing substratum theme addon apps,
- RRO system basically swaps new resource values with default ones of application
- And starting from Android 8 Oreo, Google improved the RRO system and renamed it to OMS (overlay-management-system) OMS is just superior of RRO, both do the same, overlaying(changing) application's resources
- In the android, there is an system app called "framework-res.apk", framework-res (framework-resources) as the name implies, contains resources of frameworks, What are these resources? System colors(colors.xml), System texts(strings.xml), System settings (config.xml)
- With the help of RRO and OMS systems we can overlay(change) framework-res app, hence we can change system settings too (config.xml)
- But how can we use RRO and OMS, you basically need to compile overlay app(so you need PC and android studio) carefully and deploy it into phone,

Here the Privset automates all the process for you in a phone itself
it reads the current values of the system resources/settings with using android's public APIs (Resources.getSystem())
and Allows you to edit these resources/settings
For more info about RRO and OMS you can google it ("android runtime resource overlay" and "android overlay-manager-system")

WARNING: Read carefully of each setting and change the value according to it carefully,

- You can also reset your custom settings within app (it simply deletes installed overlay packages(e.g changed system settings)
- Plus i also added flashable packages into app so you can flash it through Recovery mode of your phone if you encounter any problem

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Use it at your own risk, I'm not forcing you to install my app so I can't be held responsible for something you willingly do to your device

As i explained above, Privset uses OMS and RRO overlaying systems which overlay(change) app's resources without touching the app itself, so dont afraid so much

* ROOT is required
* Only 6.0 Marshmallow and above are supported
* Rootless mode of Privset for Android 8.0 Oreo will come in next updates hopefully (W.I.P)

I also added instructions into app for about reporting bugs or requesting features but you can also fill issue and send it through

Plus you can contact me via

Special Notes on "Change Layer Priority" setting:
-Since Privset uses overlaying mechanism (RRO and OMS) to change system settings, and overlays framework, There might be situation that Privset can conflict with already installed Substratum themes, Some subtratum themes overlay framework too, so after using Privset and changing settings, it may simply not work due to "multiply overlay packages(Substratum/Privset) that target same app (framework)" To fix this situation, you can change priority so Privset's overlay package can take priority against Substratum themes, and so *Only use that setting on this kind of situations* *Do not use it otherwise*

The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to sir mordred For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sir mordred Ad-Free
25th October 2017, 08:02 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag mmcblk0p15
Donate to Me

• Switched to common compiler for overlay creation
  • Code cleanup, removed all unnecessary dead codes

• Added fix for compilation issue ("LOG: Overlay apk file is not found, failed") (Hopefully it'll address the issue)
  • Improved overlay system detection logic
  • Added dynamic switch for overlay systems(OMS and RRO)

• Fixed some issues on "Save logs" feature
  • Corrected possible misbehaviours on OMS
  • Corrected more typos on text fields

- From 5.0 to 8.0
  • Implemented Nougat-OMS support (Privset had a support for stock android's OMS system (oreo-oms) since initial release but it didn't have a support for nougat based oms system which is currently used on most popular ROMs like ResurrectionRemix,HydrogenOS etc. but it is supporting Nougat-OMS systems from now on)
  • Implemented dynamic priority switch for OMS systems (for usage look at first post)
  • Fixed possible issues on OMS check function (app is much more solid and robust now)
  • Added more checks against error conditions on app's core functionality (again it's much more solid and robust)
  • Corrected typos on some text fields

• Implemented "Search" feature (you can now search specific settings easier)
  • Implemented "List modified settings" feature

- From 1.0 to 4.0
  • All settings are in alphabetical order now (easier to find setting and manage)
  • Corrected some misbehaviours on Android 8.0 Oreo
  • Fixed some more possible issues
  • Removed settings which can cause possible system instability

• Initial release
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sir mordred For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sir mordred Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 12:39 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag mmcblk0p15
Donate to Me
Reserved for later use
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sir mordred For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sir mordred Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 08:00 AM |#4  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 64
New home, hope it continues the fantastic job done so far, first post is very well organized
The Following User Says Thank You to chester.anjan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chester.anjan Ad-Free
28th October 2017, 01:53 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag mmcblk0p15
Donate to Me
Originally Posted by chester.anjan

New home, hope it continues the fantastic job done so far, first post is very well organized

I'm planning to include some sweet features into it in next updates
3rd December 2017, 04:36 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 135
Woo! Other possibilities of OMS like apis
3rd December 2017, 05:22 PM |#7  
Flag Barreiro
Thanks Meter: 526
This will work on miui?
3rd December 2017, 05:34 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 10,665
Simply amazing
3rd December 2017, 05:41 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 102
Is the op5t supported? I tried changing the 4 way auto rotate of screen but it didn't save after rebooting.
3rd December 2017, 06:19 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 41
Can I add home button animation like in Pixel device onto aospa?
3rd December 2017, 06:22 PM |#11  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 1,336
As this is based on substratum, why can't we just create the substratum theme and use it without root? I have Andromeda and substratum works without root.

Edit: Read that Oreo rootless mode is in the works.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

android, framework, overlay, privset, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread