FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][ROOT] Trimmer (fstrim) - Take control of your device NAND chip trimming

405 posts
Thanks Meter: 161

By fifthelement, Senior Member on 23rd February 2015, 02:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi Guys,
Let me present to you my first published app in google play. it is both free and ad-free and requires no permissions.
Trimmer allows you to trim your device NAND chip manually, which may improve your device storage speed significantly.
it supports lollipop as well and I am going to add more features to this app in future so stay tuned
In order to use this app your device should be rooted and your device NAND chip should support TRIM command.
Let me know what you think and send me your suggestions for next update.

Quote:

Here is a short explanation about what this app does :

Almost all Android devices use NAND chips for data storage. Because of how NAND chips work, they may become significantly slow after some time. Trimming would help to restore NAND Chips performance to their initial value. Although Android 4.3+ supports trim natively, users have no control over this process and Android doesnt trim the storage as much as it is supposed to do, which results in slow storage performance and thus laggy devies. Trimmer enables you to trim your device manually if you feel it has become laggy.

Trimmer incorporates a well-known fstrim utility which is a part of Linux kernel tools. This utility trims memory devices which support TRIM operation.

Download : Google Play

If you liked my app, please dont forget to rate it 5 stars. your stars will give me motivation to spend more time developing and add more features to this app.
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to fifthelement For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fifthelement Ad-Free

23rd February 2015, 02:54 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Sounds interesting!
Would also be nice to put trimming as startup operation in init.d, can the fstrim binary be called directly by a shell?
A question: when i connect my device to a PC as usb storage to remove files from SD card, then the freed space is not reported by system till next reboot; does trimming fix also this (reporting right free space)?
[must-ask-question]Does this app perform potentially dangerous operations on filesystems?[/must-ask-question]
23rd February 2015, 03:01 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publiuss

Sounds interesting!
Would also be nice to put trimming as startup operation in init.d, can the fstrim binary be called directly by a shell?
A question: when i connect my device to a PC as usb storage to remove files from SD card, then the freed space is not reported by system till next reboot; does trimming fix also this (reporting right free space)?
[must-ask-question]Does this app perform potentially dangerous operations on filesystems?[/must-ask-question]

putting trimming in init.d is not good enough. init.d only runs at startup while device storage needs to be trimmed more than that. at least once or twice per week based on usage.
yes, you can install busybox which includes fstrim and call it from shell.
The Following User Says Thank You to fifthelement For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fifthelement Ad-Free
23rd February 2015, 03:01 PM |#4  
great idea,good work.thx
The Following User Says Thank You to -CALIBAN666- For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift -CALIBAN666- Ad-Free
23rd February 2015, 03:37 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthelement

putting trimming in init.d is not good enough. init.d only runs at startup while device storage needs to be trimmed more than that. at least once or twice per week based on usage.
yes, you can install busybox which includes fstrim and call it from shell.

Ehm... I reboot quite often than twice per week...
24th February 2015, 01:45 PM |#6  
Flag Georgetown[乔治市]
Thanks Meter: 301

More
I have questions, why I will need press trim now everytime when I open the trimmer apps? It is normal... Is not stick/set on boot. Thanks in advance.
24th February 2015, 03:13 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbivan

I have questions, why I will need press trim now everytime when I open the trimmer apps? It is normal... Is not stick/set on boot. Thanks in advance.

Trim has nothing to do with boot. last time my phone was rebooted was few months ago, while some devices need to be trimmed once or twice weekly to keep optimal performance. I may add a feature in future to schedule the Trim automatically without the need of trimming manually.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifthelement For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fifthelement Ad-Free
24th February 2015, 03:36 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthelement

Trim has nothing to do with boot. last time my phone was rebooted was few months ago, while some devices need to be trimmed once or twice weekly to keep optimal performance. I may add a feature in future to schedule the Trim automatically without the need of trimming manually.

Wow, uptime warrior!
However, rated 5* on playstore!
24th February 2015, 04:48 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publiuss

Wow, uptime warrior!
However, rated 5* on playstore!

Thanks buddy for rating
I have a GPE HTC One m7 and I only reboot it when I want to flash something like a new ROM or Kernel. otherwise it is pretty stable and there are no reboots.
I guess your devices are unstable
24th February 2015, 05:16 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
significantly improved with my devices...

S3 i9300 - 4.4.4 Kitkat

S2 i9100 - 5.0.2 Lollipop

Note N7000 - 4.1.2 JB with trim kernel support

Thanks buddy...
24th February 2015, 10:58 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I'm a bit puzzled about what the app actually does.
If this NAND issue really is a problem to IO performance, why isn't this taken care of by the native android system?

No disrespect to your App! You'll have to excuse my ignorance here... If it actually solves such a problem, it great!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fstrim, lollipop, trim, trimmer

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)