FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][3.0+] TTL Editor

34 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

Post Reply Email Thread
I am announcing today "TTL Editor".

TTL Editor is a simple graphical iptables frontend for Android.

As the name suggests, it runs --ttl-set on an interface's POSTROUTING chain. The app is designed to be potentially useful in masking tethering usage.

I wrote it because I couldn't find an existing tool that performs the same job.

It's probably rather crappy, but given I went from knowing nothing of Android dev to having this app on the Play Store in about a week flat, I'll settle with just being able to hear criticism

TTL Editor on Google Play
TTL Editor on GitHub
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to segin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift segin Ad-Free

3rd January 2016, 08:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Hey, this app is exactly what I was looking for!

Unfortunately I get "TTL update failed!" whenever I try to apply a value.

I hope this captures the relevant information:

Code:
01-03 21:46:51.834 12996 12996 I iptables: type=1400 audit(0.0:2201): avc: denied { create } for uid=0 scontext=u:r:init:s0 tcontext=u:r:init:s0 tclass=rawip_socket permissive=1
01-03 21:46:51.834 12996 12996 I iptables: type=1400 audit(0.0:2202): avc: denied { getopt } for uid=0 lport=255 scontext=u:r:init:s0 tcontext=u:r:init:s0 tclass=rawip_socket permissive=1
01-03 21:46:51.834 12996 12996 I iptables: type=1400 audit(0.0:2203): avc: denied { setopt } for uid=0 lport=255 scontext=u:r:init:s0 tcontext=u:r:init:s0 tclass=rawip_socket permissive=1
I'm on a Moto G 2014 running Android 6.0.

If I try to do it manually by running

Code:
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 64
I get

Code:
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
I hope you're still watching this topic and that this information helps!
12th January 2018, 09:08 PM |#3  
Flag saginaw
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Explain?
Someone said in another forum that they use this to bypass ZTE Max block on USB tethering by enabling WiFi tethering on the ZTE, connecting a second phone to it with the TTL editor, and connecting second phone via usb. Can you explain a bit for me?
1st August 2018, 01:06 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thanks for the app, it does work! but, it fails when attempting to change each interface separately

Quote:
Originally Posted by segin

I am announcing today "TTL Editor".

TTL Editor is a simple graphical iptables frontend for Android.

As the name suggests, it runs --ttl-set on an interface's POSTROUTING chain. The app is designed to be potentially useful in masking tethering usage.

I wrote it because I couldn't find an existing tool that performs the same job.

It's probably rather crappy, but given I went from knowing nothing of Android dev to having this app on the Play Store in about a week flat, I'll settle with just being able to hear criticism

TTL Editor on Google Play
TTL Editor on GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to naack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift naack Ad-Free
1st August 2018, 06:15 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Springfield, MO

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by naack

Thanks for the app, it does work! but, it fails when attempting to change each interface separately

You lack the requirements.

- Root
- The "xl_HT" netflilter kernel driver (responsibility of ROM/kernel developer)
- "iptables" binary (you can install this yourself with e.g. busybox)

Sounds like you're missing either 2 or 3, which is why it's busted. I'm not fixing your lack of system requirements.
13th August 2018, 07:17 PM |#6  

More
Im not asking to fix it for me. Requirements weren't clear I suppose. Thanks for clearing it up however.
5th September 2018, 07:55 AM |#7  

More
i am rooted. i am running on an i337m . busy box sure... the kernel is whats stumping me. how do i know it has the iptables or how do i add them on ? if that's a thing.
i hope im not asking for too much.i just need some direction.
16th September 2018, 03:53 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Seems to work on Magisk rooted Pixel 2 XL running Pie, as long as "Apply to all network interfaces using /proc" is selected.
The Following User Says Thank You to nobaddreams For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nobaddreams Ad-Free
5th November 2018, 03:19 PM |#9  
Flag San Antonio, TX
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I wanted to thank the dev for his/her work! I'm currently using this to hopefully hide Hotspot usage from CricKet on a rooted Blu Android 7 device. Seems to work.

My understanding is, I have to turn on Hotspot and connect the devices that will be using it, and then apply the TTL setting to all interfaces? And if another device were to connect then I would need to re-apply the settings?
4th February 2019, 04:04 AM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Springfield, MO

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobaddreams

Seems to work on Magisk rooted Pixel 2 XL running Pie, as long as "Apply to all network interfaces using /proc" is selected.

`/proc` mode doesn't cover tethering usage, your ROM lacks the `iptables` and/or kernel stuff. I don't know how to programmatically detect what the case is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoZiggy

I wanted to thank the dev for his/her work! I'm currently using this to hopefully hide Hotspot usage from CricKet on a rooted Blu Android 7 device. Seems to work.

My understanding is, I have to turn on Hotspot and connect the devices that will be using it, and then apply the TTL setting to all interfaces? And if another device were to connect then I would need to re-apply the settings?

Do not use "Apply to all interfaces" for tethering, it doesn't work for that (unless your phone is the one connecting to another phone's hotspot.)

For tethering, you should apply specifically to the cellular interface, and you will need a custom ROM or kernel with the necessary drivers (specifically xt_HL, which is the netfilter Hop Limit firewall plugin, Hop Limit being the name for TTL - Time-To-Live - in IPv6). You will also need an iptables binary (use XDA to find one, of course!)

There's a few other caveats I've learned over the past few years but I can't remember them. It's all basic Linux networking stuff, though.

Sorry I'm too busy to be much help anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to segin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift segin Ad-Free
10th February 2019, 06:33 PM |#11  
Flag San Antonio, TX
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by segin

`/proc` mode doesn't cover tethering usage, your ROM lacks the `iptables` and/or kernel stuff.
Sorry I'm too busy to be much help anymore.

Not a prob. Thanks for replying.
I only got nervous after using about 200GB and receiving a nasty message regarding my tethering use (damn BlackOps PS4 updates). All is good though, no more threats from my carrier... and I thought the TTL trick was what was helping!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)