FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

APP ❯ TWRP ❯❯ Tipatch • Backup internal storage • v1.6

452 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,010

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from kdrag0n: Tipatch v1.6 has been released!
Tipatch for TWRP • Backup internal storage at last
by kdrag0n

Use at your own risk. Note that wiping Data WILL also wipe internal storage, contrary to normal behavior.

Introduction
TWRP Data backups do not include Internal Storage, which is the emulated SD card that stores your photos, videos, downloads, and more. This means that in the event you transfer phones or completely wipe data, all of that is gone! Eventual data loss is inevitable here.

Tipatch patches TWRP to backup contents of internal storage (emulated SD card) as part of Data, thus preventing data loss. Internal storage typically includes items such as photos, videos, downloads, game data, and other assorted files.

The app supports patching an image and saving the result anywhere, as well as patching the currently installed recovery in-place on rooted devices. It has been confirmed to work on Exynos, Snapdragon, Kirin, and MediaTek devices.

Note: internal storage is the same thing as emulated SD card. They are both referring to the /data/media path.

Compatibility
As far as I know, this works on every device. It has been confirmed to work on Exynos (Galaxy S8, Galaxy A8), Snapdragon (Mi A1, Galaxy S9+ unlocked), Kirin (Mate 10 Lite), and MediaTek devices. Let me know if there's any device it does not fully work on.

Downloads
Download the app on Google Play or XDA Labs.

Alternatively, downloads can be found here on GitHub.
The first release listed is the latest version, currently 1.6.

If you don't want to use the app, programs for Windows, macOS, and Linux are also available at the link above.

Instructions
If your device is rooted, you can patch your current recovery (both slots on A/B) with one tap.
If your device is not rooted, download your device's recovery image and patch that. Then flash or boot the patched image as usual.

How do I know if it worked?
  • "Data (incl. storage)" on Backup screen
  • "Backups of Data include…" while backing up
  • Bigger Data size on Backup screen

A side effect is that wiping "Data" will also wipe internal storage. This cannot be fixed.

If you use a theme or a language other than English, the text will not change. Revert to the default theme and/or change to English to confirm.

Restoring backups with internal storage does not require a patched recovery.

Tipatch does not affect your external SD (if present) in any way.

Problems?
Reflash your recovery image. If you used in-place patching, simply tap "Restore backup" in the option menu.

Special thanks to @tytydraco (Draco) for suggestions and extensive testing.

Donate to support future development
Join the Telegram group

Translation positions are open! E-mail or PM me on Telegram/XDA to register for a language. Currently taken are Portuguese and Chinese.

Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
Tipatch, App for the Apps & Games

Contributors
kdrag0n
Source Code: https://github.com/kdrag0n/tipatch

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.6
Stable Release Date: 2018-09-18

Created 2018-08-19
Last Updated 2018-09-24
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to kdrag0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdrag0n Ad-Free
19th August 2018, 08:16 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Changelogs
v1.6 • September 18, 2018
Quote:

​ ​ ​ ​ • Switch to Sentry for crash reporting (reduces size & battery impact)
​ ​ ​ ​ • Add splash screen
​ ​ ​ ​ • Improve performance
​ ​ ​ ​ • Improve app theme

Older releases:

v1.5 • September 8, 2018
Quote:

​ ​ ​ ​ • Fix rotation issues
​ ​ ​ ​ • Fix crashes
​ ​ ​ ​ • Improve About screen
​ ​ ​ ​ • Update libraries
​ ​ ​ ​ • Fix misleading caption on TWRP Wipe screen

v1.4 • August 23, 2018
Quote:

​ ​ ​ ​ • Added LZMA compression support (slow but works)
​ ​ ​ ​ • Fixed rotation issues
​ ​ ​ ​ • Improved error handling
​ ​ ​ ​ • Added XDA thread link

v1.3 • August 22, 2018
Quote:

​ ​ ​ ​ • Bug fixes
​ ​ ​ ​ • Several crash fixes
​ ​ ​ ​ • Enabled rotation for phones

v1.2 • August 19, 2018
Quote:

​​ ​ ​ ​ • Fix crash when tapping Contact without an email app
​ ​ ​ ​ • Fix inconsistent error message wording

v1.1 • August 18, 2018
Quote:

​ ​ ​ ​ • Initial release

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kdrag0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdrag0n Ad-Free
19th August 2018, 08:28 AM |#3  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,487

Donate to Me
More
Great work here. I saw this app evolve from a little program in Go to a fully released app. Cant wait to see it blow up.
The Following User Says Thank You to tytydraco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2018, 10:03 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Great work here! Will give this a try!
19th August 2018, 09:15 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Tipatch v1.2 has just been released to fix a possible crash and revise some wording. Get it on GitHub, XDA Labs, or Play Store.

It may take some time to roll out to everyone in the Play Store.

Changelog:
Quote:

​ ​ ​ ​ • Fix crash when tapping Contact without an email app
​ ​ ​ ​ • Fix inconsistent error message wording

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kdrag0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdrag0n Ad-Free
20th August 2018, 02:03 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrag0n

Tipatch v1.2 has just been released to fix a possible crash and revise some wording. Get it on GitHub, XDA Labs, or Play Store.

It may take some time to roll out to everyone in the Play Store.

Changelog:

Is it possible to separate the formatting of data and internal, in the future fixes?
20th August 2018, 03:57 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunlia22

Is it possible to separate the formatting of data and internal, in the future fixes?

No, because of the nature of binary patching. That would require adding functionality, which is not possible without introducing massive consequences, not to mention the work required.

However, it's possible that I'll be able to modify the theme to add an UI to quickly patch/unpatch the running recovery in-place without reboot, from inside TWRP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdrag0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kdrag0n Ad-Free
20th August 2018, 09:41 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1,310

More
Certainly useful with two provisos:

You only backup to an external SD - that probably goes without saying, as it would make no sense to backup internal storage to internal storage ! I assume the patched TWRP would prevent such an attempt.

The side effect - wiping "Data" will also wipe internal storage - is more than a "side effect", but since it can't be fixed, maybe that point should be made in very big letters at the top of the OP.

Good work though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sanguinesaintly For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sanguinesaintly Ad-Free
20th August 2018, 07:01 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Great App, is there any way a blacklist or whitelist can be added with a useroption, blacklist, or whitelist file placed on sdcard or in gui, just thinking an option to add list qouldbe easier to add to app. Would be willing to pay for this option as an in app purchase or as a seperate pro version.
20th August 2018, 09:07 PM |#11  
Flag Merced
Thanks Meter: 0

More
When I tried to patch it I get an error saying...

"Oops...
Patch #1 failed: could not find /media' in
image. This is probably not a TWRP image."

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S6 rooted with magisk and twrp 3.2.1.0.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)