[APP][root][5.0+] VPN Hotspot: VPN tethering/Wi-Fi repeater (open source)

Search This thread

Mygod Studio

Apr 30, 2013
Suzhou
mygod.be
Connecting things to your VPN made simple. Share your VPN connection over hotspot or repeater. (root required)

This app is useful for:

* Connecting things that don't support VPN like Chromecasts behind corporate firewalls;
* Setting up gapps behind corporate firewalls;
* Connecting to your mobile hotspot but you're not bothered to set up VPN on your device;
* Bypassing tethering limits. (you might need more of a real VPN than an ad-blocker to fool a smarter cellular provider)

This app is designed to do only minimal changes to your system, so there's almost no chance you will brick your device and/or break your Internet using this app under normal conditions. However there's also absolutely no guarantee it won't.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.mygod.vpnhotspot

Featured on...
* XDA developers: https://www.xda-developers.com/vpn-hotspot-share-vpn-connection/
* Android Police: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...9-1-18/#VPN_Hotspot_-_tetheringWi-Fi_repeater
* Baixaki: https://www.baixaki.com.br/android/download/vpn-hotspot.htm

Last edited:

fxsheep

May 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi 2
Xiaomi Mi 9
@Mygod Studio
I found a way to modify wifi-direct name and password.
By modifying /data/misc/wifi/p2p_supplicant.conf
Then enable - disable airplane mode.
Could you make this in your app?

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

There's a bug, when I enable the hotspot I must stay on the app for a while or it will disable immediately

Reactions: Mygod Studio

Mygod Studio

Apr 30, 2013
Suzhou
mygod.be
@Mygod Studio
I found a way to modify wifi-direct name and password.
By modifying /data/misc/wifi/p2p_supplicant.conf
Then enable - disable airplane mode.
Could you make this in your app?

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

There's a bug, when I enable the hotspot I must stay on the app for a while or it will disable immediately

Hey great! That works for me as well. I'll look into it and see what I can do. :)

Do you mean the repeater? I can't reproduce this issue on my side. What's your Android system and device model?

azndan2

Apr 24, 2010
Los Altos
OP, I'm using this app now on Verizon with private internet access VPN . It's so convenient. Thanks for making a great app. I hope that you continue to support it as this is really helpful in taking back our right to do what we please with our internet service.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

I would be glad to pay for a premium version to support you.

frozonecom

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
OnePlus 8T
Hello op, I am using this app on google pixel 2 to tether my vpn connection to my win10 laptop. However, my laptop shows that I still have no internet access. Can you please help me?

Mygod Studio

Apr 30, 2013
Suzhou
mygod.be
Well ,my device is Xiaomi MI 6, Android 8.1.0 .
I mean the hotspot will disable automatically if I switch to other apps.

Hello op, I am using this app on google pixel 2 to tether my vpn connection to my win10 laptop. However, my laptop shows that I still have no internet access. Can you please help me?

You could export debug information and post it here / create an issue at GitHub / send it to me so that I could have some idea what's going on. Also it would be helpful to know what VPN app you're using if there's one.

OP, I'm using this app now on Verizon with private internet access VPN . It's so convenient. Thanks for making a great app. I hope that you continue to support it as this is really helpful in taking back our right to do what we please with our internet service.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

I would be glad to pay for a premium version to support you.

Thanks. I'm not bothered to go make a premium version but I am very happy to accept donations.

frozonecom

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
OnePlus 8T
You could export debug information and post it here / create an issue at GitHub / send it to me so that I could have some idea what's going on. Also it would be helpful to know what VPN app you're using if there's one.

Thanks. I'm not bothered to go make a premium version but I am very happy to accept donations.

Hello. after trying to connect to the wifi hotspot created by my pixel 2. Still no internet. I'm using the app 'HTTP Injector' for VPN services.

Ill try to post the debug log when I get on my laptop with internet. Till then,

enga018

Mar 9, 2015
Can I have a proper guide? My friend cant connect when i switch on vpn? (solid vpn) and, this app dont help me.

Reactions: joe joffz

blambo

Jul 28, 2010
This is an incredible app. No one has been able to do this before. And many many have tried. Thank you so very much for this.

It's real for real 'travel router' app now on my phone, a WiFi Repeater and Hotspot combined that supports WISP, and tethers OpenConnect VPN. Hello, most routers on the market today do not have any kind of OpenConnect client interface.
Did somebody in the back of the room just say "You're kidding! You can use this as a router and slip all of your devices through the GFW of China via secure OpenConnect SSL, TLS 1.2"?
Yes, yes indeed, you can. HUZZAH!

This is a HUGE app. The best of the best. Again, my deepest thanks.

Reactions: nubie

Nodierg1

Jan 31, 2016
David Chiriqui
How could I use it without root?
I was thinking about making commands similar to a structure like
adb shell pm grant [package / app name] android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
But in that case what would be the permissions to enable by adb.

Reactions: Ziña88

Mygod Studio

Apr 30, 2013
Suzhou
mygod.be
How could I use it without root?
I was thinking about making commands similar to a structure like
adb shell pm grant [package / app name] android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
But in that case what would be the permissions to enable by adb.

The most important part that requires root is fiddling with iptables, which Android of course wouldn't expose any API for you to do, and the only way to do this afaic is with root.

Viewing tethered clients should still work for non-root devices though.

Reactions: Ziña88

TopGun2000

Sep 11, 2005
This is what I have observed and is really confusing to me:

1) Enable native WiFi hotspot and start an OpenVPN connection on my Nexus 5X running Android 8.0 with root on Sprint
2) Enable wlan0 interface in VPN Hotspot APP
3) Running http://www.whatismyip.net in the Chrome browser on my Nexus 5X, and get two different IPs when VPN turns on / off (IPv4 addr for VPN server, IPv6 addr for Sprint LTE)
4) Connect my PC to the WiFi hotspot provided by N5X, run http://www.whatismyip.net in the Chrome browser of PC, and always get the third IP which is different than two IPs I see on the N5X, no matter VPN Hotspot turns on / off. The funny thing is that if I run speed test on my PC client, I can always see the speed limit enforced by the VPN server when VPN hotspot is on, but the IP address checked by "whatismyip" is not my VPN server's IP.

I'm guessing Android 8.0 handles speed test traffic differently so it can be routed through VPN hotspot while web traffic cannot?

Update:
checking client IP on mxtoolbox.com/whatismyip actually gives me my VPN server's IP when VPN hotspot is on. Very bizarre...

Last edited:

blambo

Jul 28, 2010
"This is what I have observed and is really confusing to me."

Long version:

• In primary device WiFi settings, set up the native hotspot, (SSID & pass). Keep hotspot off, exit settings. Bring up the 'VPN Hotspot' app, click on, and activate 'Tethering', then 'wlan0'.

• NOW connect all of your secondary external devices to the primary tether and receive an IP address.
    THEN connect to your VPN on the primary . All secondary connected devices will be tunneled through the primary's VPN.

• If you disconnect a secondary, then want to reconnect the secondary to the primary's hotspot, you will have to disable the VPN on primary, then connect secondary, then reactivate the VPN on the primary.

Short version:

Connect secondary devices, including Windows machines, to primary hotspot, receive IP address before you activate the VPN. (AFAIK this is true of all VPN tethering apps.)

It may sound tedious, but really it's not. After you do it once, you'll get it. Super easy.

Note: Same drill in 'Repeater' mode.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts