Reddit Wallpaper Changer (Auto-wallpapers from subreddits)

Which future feature would you like to see in the app next?

• Quiet hours (Don't auto-update in this period)

• Different subreddit groups based on time of day

• Filter images by post flair

• Filter images by dominant color

Results are only viewable after voting.
Search This thread

chibichuba

cpRax8S.png

Automatically cycle your wallpapers from any Subreddits you choose - with custom schedules, filters, shortcuts, and presets.

Latest Version:
April 27, 2021 -- v3.11.2

Features:
  • Custom auto-update schedules
  • Multi-subreddit support
  • Different subreddits for homescreen/lockscreen
  • Group subreddits for easy-switching (Presets)
  • Wallpaper history & saving images to storage
  • Blur, darken, grayscale, and crop images automatically
  • Sort by Hot/Top/New, NSFW, or post upvote count
  • Image resolution filtering
  • Tasker & Nova Launcher Integration
  • Rules for battery level and network status
  • App Dark Mode
    ...and many more

Download:
Play Store Link

Screenshots:

main1.jpg
sched.jpg

img_fx1.jpg
history.jpg

Even if you're not a Redditor, the app includes presets grouping the most popular image subreddits. There's probably a wallpaper category for any category you can think of.

The app is designed with battery and performance in mind, so the app only runs when it needs to update a wallpaper and manages its own footprint.

Last edited:

Lazarus Long

Mar 14, 2013
The app is great, but doesn't work well on my xiaomi Mi8 Lock screen. Works only in home screen. (Miui global 10.2)

chibichuba

The app is great, but doesn't work well on my xiaomi Mi8 Lock screen. Works only in home screen. (Miui global 10.2)

Thanks for the support - I've been looking into getting certain features to work with different manufacturers. I'm leading to believe mfc like XiaoMi and HuaWei use different lockscreen frameworks that cause the AOSP wallpaper flags to fail. Hopefully in the near future I'll find a solution.

cyanides13

Jun 25, 2017

Hey OP great work! ?
One suggestion I have for improvement is to have night mode feature where it only takes dark images at a specific time interval.

chibichuba

Hey OP great work!
One suggestion I have for improvement is to have night mode feature where it only takes dark images at a specific time interval.

Thanks! I love this idea and I've been researching about it, but it slows the image search down by a lot. It'll come around eventually, I just need to find the best way to implement it

Last edited:
Reactions: meiax93

rezzo87

Aug 13, 2013
Nice app,dev!I have a little request:can you make wallpaper to change everytime you turn on the screen like in 500 firepaper app? Thanks anyway

amritpal2489

Oct 3, 2010
One more request : Can you please add option to manually change to a new wallpaper using some finger swipe gesture?

LiquidHonesty

Possible BAD Bug.

Pixel 3XL here, not unlocked and not rooted...just pure android with Feb Patch.

Downloaded and installed. Let it change my wallpaper a few times. Then hit change once but then hit the home key during the change....I guess it was going through the process of changing the wallpaper as my wallpaper went from a graphic to black...and then the whole screen on my Pixel is black. Nothing. Reboot, google boot screen shows...then bam, BLACK screen. You can tell it thinks it's displaying a screen (lock screen, unlock with fingerprint gives haptic, etc) but it's all black, no words graphics nothing. Rebooted into Safe Mode....still solid black but says "Safe Mode" in the lower left corner. Eventually just had to factory reset via Recovery and phone is working perfectly fine now.

Not saying it was your app, but yours was the only thing I had downloaded in over a week....and I was literally using it when it happened. Still though, love the app!

Reactions: the.senpai.king

chibichuba

Possible BAD Bug.

Downloaded and installed. Let it change my wallpaper a few times. Then hit change once but then hit the home key during the change....I guess it was going through the process of changing the wallpaper as my wallpaper went from a graphic to black...and then the whole screen on my Pixel is black. Nothing. Reboot, google boot screen shows...then bam, BLACK screen. You can tell it thinks it's displaying a screen (lock screen, unlock with fingerprint gives haptic, etc) but it's all black, no words graphics nothing. Rebooted into Safe Mode....still solid black but says "Safe Mode" in the lower left corner. Eventually just had to factory reset via Recovery and phone is working perfectly fine now.

Not saying it was your app, but yours was the only thing I had downloaded in over a week....and I was literally using it when it happened. Still though, love the app!

Damn I had heard of this with another wallpaper app but this is a first with mine. My deepest apologies if you lost any data. I'm putting this first priority to make sure it doesn't happen again.

My guess is SystemUI ran out of memory and crashed, and sometimes it takes up to 20-30 seconds for that service to get restarted - hence the black screen and device still responding to the fingerprint.

I'm going to PM you so we can try and figure out more of the details.

nightfireblaze8

Jul 27, 2013
Possible BAD Bug.

I had the EXACT same issue on my OnePlus 6. I had to do a factory reset as well. Lost some data that I hadn't backed up in the process.
@chibichuba

LiquidHonesty

Damn I had heard of this with another wallpaper app but this is a first with mine. My deepest apologies if you lost any data. I'm putting this first priority to make sure it doesn't happen again.

My guess is SystemUI ran out of memory and crashed, and sometimes it takes up to 20-30 seconds for that service to get restarted - hence the black screen and device still responding to the fingerprint.

I'm going to PM you so we can try and figure out more of the details.

No worries, I had a fairly new backup but lost about the last month's SMS even though it claimed I was backed up. LOL no biggie.

cheemacool

Mar 7, 2011
Saskatoon
Possible BAD Bug.

Same thing happened to my phone last night on Pixel 3 XL . Changed the wallpaper then screen went black and phone rebooted to recovery screen saying " Cant load Android system, your data may be corrupt. Giving me 2 options Reboot or Factory data reset. Rebooted like dozen times even in safe mode but no luck. In the end i had to factory reset and loosing my important data as there was no way to backup.
Not being rude but there is some really bad bug. Other than that the App is really awesome.

chibichuba

Same thing happened to my phone last night on Pixel 3 XL . Changed the wallpaper then screen went black and phone rebooted to recovery screen saying " Cant load Android system, your data may be corrupt. Giving me 2 options Reboot or Factory data reset. Rebooted like dozen times even in safe mode but no luck. In the end i had to factory reset and loosing my important data as there was no way to backup.
Not being rude but there is some really bad bug. Other than that the App is really awesome.

I've been researching this issue over the past few days and I've come to the conclusion that this is an issue with Android's SystemUI, specifically with devices that have updated via OTA.
As much as I want to think that I can fix this, I have noticed this issue mentioned in every major theming service and wallpaper app and has to do with how AOSP variants handle SystemUI changes. This app actually doesn't touch any part of device storage or the system partition at all, Android system does all the work and my app just sends the request to do it.

In the meantime I've tried to mitigate any possible causes by limiting maximum image sizes and setting strict resource management for the app.

Changing the wallpaper more often on these OTA-updated devices seems to increase the chances of encountering this issue, but a Google Product Expert gave the advice to use Rescue OTA to prevent having to factory restore, found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6x7k-VkpUJMlZ1aEliVnhMOHM/view

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cpRax8S.png

Automatically cycle your wallpapers from any Subreddits you choose - with custom schedules, filters, shortcuts, and presets.

Latest Version:
    April 27, 2021 -- v3.11.2

Features:
    • Custom auto-update schedules
    • Multi-subreddit support
    • Different subreddits for homescreen/lockscreen
    • Group subreddits for easy-switching (Presets)
    • Wallpaper history & saving images to storage
    • Blur, darken, grayscale, and crop images automatically
    • Sort by Hot/Top/New, NSFW, or post upvote count
    • Image resolution filtering
    • Tasker & Nova Launcher Integration
    • Rules for battery level and network status
    • App Dark Mode
      ...and many more

Download:
    Play Store Link

Screenshots:

main1.jpg
    sched.jpg

img_fx1.jpg
    history.jpg

Even if you're not a Redditor, the app includes presets grouping the most popular image subreddits. There's probably a wallpaper category for any category you can think of.

The app is designed with battery and performance in mind, so the app only runs when it needs to update a wallpaper and manages its own footprint.
    @chibichuba (and @nightfireblaze8, @cheemacool) I Either fixed this issue, or encountered another issue much like this one. I jumped into adb and started debugging. Of note, is this snippet of code

--------- beginning of crash
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.android.systemui, PID: 1517
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.RuntimeException: Canvas: trying to draw too large(140247040bytes) bitmap.
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.view.DisplayListCanvas.throwIfCannotDraw(DisplayListCanvas.java:229)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.view.RecordingCanvas.drawBitmap(RecordingCanvas.java:124)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.systemui.ImageWallpaper$DrawableEngine.drawWallpaperWithCanvas(ImageWallpaper.java:510)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.systemui.ImageWallpaper$DrawableEngine.drawFrame(ImageWallpaper.java:340)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.systemui.ImageWallpaper$DrawableEngine.onSurfaceRedrawNeeded(ImageWallpaper.java:256)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.service.wallpaper.WallpaperService$Engine.updateSurface(WallpaperService.java:944)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.service.wallpaper.WallpaperService$Engine.attach(WallpaperService.java:1020)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.service.wallpaper.WallpaperService$IWallpaperEngineWrapper.executeMessage(WallpaperService.java:1343)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.internal.os.HandlerCaller$MyHandler.handleMessage(HandlerCaller.java:37)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:193)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6718)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:493)
    03-07 09:48:31.074 1517 1517 E AndroidRuntime: at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:858)
    03-07 09:48:31.077 1517 1517 I Process : Sending signal. PID: 1517 SIG: 9

Somewhere in the developer docs, it talks about max canvas size ( I just don't remember where). I ran into this issue previously in a project. So - I got too high rez of an image from reddit, the app stuck it into system, and that caused the systemui to freak out. Given that this is systemui - android basically went out into the weeds and shot itself. I like your program, but I'd recommend checking the file size/resolution and the resizing the image if it goes past to the max size/resolution allowed.

In the interm, to get the phone out of the forced reboots, I renamed /data/system/users/0/wallpaper and /data/system/users/0/wallpaper_lock to different names, and the phone came back.

I also tried joining the beta, and was unable to.
    UPDATE 3.10 (Dec 26, 2019)

>> Play Store Download (Rolling out, may take a few hours after this post)
    >> XDA Labs Download (Live)

• Rebuilt auto-update system - Now updates wallpapers more reliably
    • Option to skip recent wallpapers to prevent duplicates
    • Android Q (10.0) compatibility
    • Improved sticky notification
    • Fixed Quick Settings tile, and many other bugs
    • More UI tweaks to prepare for future redesign

Extra notes:
    - '1 minute' update frequency has been replaced with '15 minutes' for 2 reasons: Reddit API policy, and WorkRequest SDK limitations in the background service rework.
    - Tasker users: Wallpaper updates will no longer consider network and battery conditions when triggering via Tasker, in case you wanted to override them.
    A brief preview of the incoming update:

4aDKOrE.jpg
    37KKKJP.jpg
    Holy crap! I just found this issue now after getting a new phone because of the forced factory resets!

No worries... I was itching for a new phone anyway... But, I wanted to add my details in the hopes they may help in resolving the issue with Android.

I was running Android 9 (March 2019 security update) on my Pixel 2XL (64GB). I was completely stock without root or magisk and the stock recovery as well. I had my display theme set to Dark, and had your app updating my wallpaper every hour.

I haven't had this happen yet on my new 3XL, but after reading about this issue, I've since disabled automatically updating wallpapers.

@nightfireblaze8, @cheemacool,
    Pleased to let you guys know that this has been worked out - the latest builds of Android Pie have a cache partition issue, and dark mode isn't a direct cause but it is related - Google has someone working on the issue. I've changed the cache policy for the app's images, which should prevent this from happening again. The fix will be included in the update coming within a few days, but you should still be wary of using dark mode - I've only been able to reproduce this with 80% accuracy, although no occurrences after the new caching policy.