149 posts
Thanks Meter: 256

By pittvandewitt, Senior Member on 11th May 2020, 03:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
logo
Wavelet
Headphone specific equalization

Introduction
Wavelet may be the most powerful equalizer for Android to date that doesn't require root or an unlocked bootloader. It is capable of processing audio system wide and supports optimal equalization settings for over 2300 headphones. That's way more headphones to choose from than both the Sonarworks and Dirac android apps combined have to offer.
Supporting this many headphones has been made possible by Jaakko, the maintainer of his awesome AutoEq project for letting me use it.

Features
The app features a minimal UI with plenty of options for customization:
You can use AutoEq to equalize your headphones to the Harman standard. The graph visualizes the compensation applied.
There's a 9 band graphical equalizer you can use to fine tune the result or set up when your headphones don't appear to be available in the database.
The effects section offers effects such as bass boost, virtualization and reverberation. There's a bass tuner option too to give your beats that little extra thump, or reduce bass if you're not a basshead.
At the bottom you can find the gain controls. There's a limiter allowing you to reduce dynamic range and a channel balance feature for when you find one channel playing too loud or if you just want to reduce the overall output volume.

Installation
Wavelet can be downloaded from Google Play.
Features displayed vary on the mode you're using, what libraries are available on your system and what output device is connected.
I strongly recommend checking out the README and read up on legacy mode to help you get the best experience.

XDA:DevDB Information
Wavelet, App for all devices running Pie and up (see above for details)

Contributors
pittvandewitt

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 20.05
Stable Release Date: 2020-05-19

Created 2020-05-11
Last Updated 2020-05-19
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	3602
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	5016513   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	3576
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	5016515   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	3518
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	5016517   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	3072
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	5016519  
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to pittvandewitt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pittvandewitt Ad-Free
11th May 2020, 06:41 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 111

More
Google Play link isn't working...

EDIT: Now it is!
11th May 2020, 09:23 PM |#3  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s8m

Google Play link isn't working...

EDIT: Now it is!

First impressions - awesome work! Nice UI and my headphones were recognized. I could only get legacy mode working but the graphical EQ is nice to have if the headphone correction isn't quite tuned for your ears. I think this is going to be a popular audio mod/app...looking forward to further development.
The Following User Says Thank You to s8m For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s8m Ad-Free
12th May 2020, 01:17 AM |#4  
Editor in Chief
Thanks Meter: 2,048

More
Can you explain how this app is able to apply EQ effects without having root access or being a system app? What kind of APIs are you using? Thanks!

edit: actually, would love if we could chat more about this project. Giving this a shot right now with my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and it seems pretty nice. Feel free to email me at [email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to MishaalRahman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2020, 02:12 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 256

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s8m

First impressions - awesome work! Nice UI and my headphones were recognized. I could only get legacy mode working but the graphical EQ is nice to have if the headphone correction isn't quite tuned for your ears. I think this is going to be a popular audio mod/app...looking forward to further development.

Thank you! I put a lot of thought in the design.
Legacy/regular mode is the best solution I could come up with to cope with the finicky audio sessions design Android has implemented. If it works or not depends on the music player you use and if your device manufacturer allows processing the global audio session or not. Sometimes both modes work and in the worst case nothing might work

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaalRahman

Can you explain how this app is able to apply EQ effects without having root access or being a system app? What kind of APIs are you using? Thanks!

The app makes use of standard libraries Android provides. Most of them are available since Android 2.3, but the DynamicsProcessing library is relatively new and allows for much more customizability. It allowed me to build the equalization and gain control features.
Default mode listens for audio sessions started by music players and applies these effects to them. Legacy mode applies them system-wide (session 0), but this may not work on all devices.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pittvandewitt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pittvandewitt Ad-Free
13th May 2020, 07:40 AM |#6  
Flag freelund
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Hey man I'm downloading your app and wanted to try out the pro features. Possible to sent me a redeem code?
13th May 2020, 06:15 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhacker

Hey man I'm downloading your app and wanted to try out the pro features. Possible to sent me a redeem code?

There is no mention of pro features.. according to the OP, the features available depend on device capabilities.
14th May 2020, 12:25 AM |#8  
Calcutta/Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Here it is by what he means of pro features
Quote:
Originally Posted by s8m

There is no mention of pro features.. according to the OP, the features available depend on device capabilities.

It is asking to pay and unlock remaining features.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200514_045155_com.pittvandewitt.wavelet.jpg
Views:	1868
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	5018349  
14th May 2020, 12:54 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitefreakin

It is asking to pay and unlock remaining features.

Interesting, I haven't seen that in the app myself.
17th May 2020, 05:37 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Bought the app for developer support, awesome job! I was waiting to see when someone would pick up the audio development.
One less reason for root.

The only thing is clipping when adding bast boost. Bass tuning helps but volume clipping still happens.
Still awesome though.
17th May 2020, 05:50 PM |#11  
Flag Portland
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I can confirm. my device also requires unlocking to even test the effects. I have a Galaxy A20 stock phone and quite frankly, it lacks severely with the sound quality on my headphones (Sony MDR-XB50AP/R). I have been looking for an alternative to Viper4Android which has really shown the power of the earbuds, but that requires rooting the phone and a supported ROM. I can understand the monetization of an app to help support the development and do not have an issue with that, but I gave this app a hard pass for two reasons:

1) You can't try the effects mode without paying the fee.
2) The fee for me was $5.49 to take a chance on it, yes I can get a refund on an IAP through Google, but that's not what I'd really like to do.

Why not set the app up to allow people to try the effects for say 20-30 minutes to allow them to see if it works for their needs and then charge the fee if they want to continue using it ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medfordite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Medfordite Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)