FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Did Apps2SD help you?

Yes

417 Vote(s)
75.14%
No

59 Vote(s)
10.63%
Didn't try

79 Vote(s)
14.23%

Apps2SD All in one tool[2.3+]: Partition SD card and Move/Link Apps to SD card [ROOT]

2,396 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,126

By vickybonick, Senior Member on 30th May 2015, 08:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th November 2019, 01:54 AM |#5391  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,126

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmanuf

@vickybonick - Thank you for this wonderfull tool, which I have just discovered.

I have an Sony XZ1c with Android Pie (9.0) (stock firmware), and Magisk Root 20.1.

I have 1 major wish for this tool.
I would like to successfull folder mount/bind folder between internal storage and external SD card. Specifically for WhatsApp media folder, which is filling up very quickly.

So far the tool can successfully bind mount internal storage to external SD.
1) WhatsApp can view/read older downloaded material, ie. pictures and videos. This is very good. So the read from the external SD is working perfect.
2) WhatsApp can write to ext. SD when sending material. This is good.
3) WhatsApp cannot write recieve media files anymore, and have stopped downloading any new material. This is not good, which prevents me from using the program to recieve media.

Any idea how to progress from here and solve item 3. Specially because item 1 and 2 works great??

These are my bind mounts.

Source folder:
/storage/emulated/0/WhatsApp/Media

Destination folder
/storage/6534-3933/.WhatsApp/Media

I would be very gratefull to any help, as this is my main reason to root my phone.
So I am devastated it does not work.

I have added output from /proc/mount on the following page.
http://snippi.com/s/ce13u9q

Does this happen with only WhatsApp or other apps as well?
30th November 2019, 09:28 AM |#5392  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
@vickybonick
I have only tried with WhatsApp, as this is the main app I have the biggest issue with regarding internal disk usage.

I have added two pictures before and after.
And also catlog of process com.whatsapp in time frame of the pictures send. 30/11-2019 between 9.44 - 9.48
With internal storage and external storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	internal.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	4890355   Click image for larger version

Name:	external.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	4890357  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Log_2019-11-30_09-48-20.txt - [Click for QR Code] (13.4 KB, 2 views)
30th November 2019, 10:15 PM |#5393  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmanuf

Thank you for this wonderfull tool, which I have just discovered.

I have an Sony XZ1c with Android Pie (9.0) (stock firmware), and Magisk Root 20.1.

I have 1 major wish for this tool.
I would like to successfull folder mount/bind folder between internal storage and external SD card. Specifically for WhatsApp media folder, which is filling up very quickly.

So far the tool can successfully bind mount internal storage to external SD.
1) WhatsApp can view/read older downloaded material, ie. pictures and videos. This is very good. So the read from the external SD is working perfect.
2) WhatsApp can write to ext. SD when sending material. This is good.
3) WhatsApp cannot write recieve media files anymore, and have stopped downloading any new material. This is not good, which prevents me from using the program to recieve media.

Any idea how to progress from here and solve item 3. Specially because item 1 and 2 works great??

These are my bind mounts.

Source folder:
/storage/emulated/0/WhatsApp/Media

Destination folder
/storage/6534-3933/.WhatsApp/Media

this was discussed in October on this thread, closest you can find are general steps described here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=5369

with these changes, the app/whatsapp are doing what you'd expect, but this is not for the faint of heart, and u have to always remember this special setup. Pie was never tested with apps2sd.

good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to stormy1777 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stormy1777 Ad-Free
1st December 2019, 10:38 AM |#5394  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello....can anybody help me about 'hibernate' options? I have add many apps to hibernate when screen is off but i found tbat this not working for one my app that is for my camera system (and i remove this app from battery optimization in android) and also play store was not hibernate after screen is off? Is this option work for all apps or only to some apps? Or is better to use greenify app? Sorry for my bad english
3rd December 2019, 05:36 AM |#5395  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,572

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsports666

Hello....can anybody help me about 'hibernate' options? I have add many apps to hibernate when screen is off but i found tbat this not working for one my app that is for my camera system (and i remove this app from battery optimization in android) and also play store was not hibernate after screen is off? Is this option work for all apps or only to some apps? Or is better to use greenify app? Sorry for my bad english

From my personal experience and from everything I have read, it is not a good Idea to hibernate system apps.
3rd December 2019, 01:31 PM |#5396  
Thanks Meter: 185

More
Has anyone got folder mount to work in Android 10 ?
5th December 2019, 08:59 AM |#5397  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Having an issue with apps2sd.
1. The 2nd partition which is ext4 is automatically getting mounted to a different location. I believe /storage/ABCD-EFGH or similar.
2. When I try to "remount 2nd partition" this fails no matter which option I select.
3. I then go into Settings -> Storage and eject the EXT4 partition on the SD card.
4. Then I go back into apps2sd and "Remount 2nd Partition" works with "Normal" selected and also with "Advanced".
5. I have no problems linking apps to the 2nd partition. Everything works great.
6. However, when using "Advanced" after reboot Android is unhappy. It says the partition is corrupted, tap to fix.
7. I check diskinfo and it's mounted at the correct location.
8. I check apps2sd and everything looks fine here. All my apps are there.
9. When I "tap to fix" the corrupted partition it wants to reformat it as Internal Storage or Portable storage. I've tried both and it just sets me back to needing to reformat the partition as ext4 which takes me all the way back to the very beginning.
Is the proper thing to do just ignore the "partition is corrupted" message?

Edit: Nevermind, I guess on page 173 of this thread it's stated that "partition is corrupted" is a dummy message and I shouldn't try to fix it. I guess I am my own problem. I'll just leave it alone.
8th December 2019, 11:25 PM |#5398  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy1777

this was discussed in October on this thread, closest you can find are general steps described here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=5369

with these changes, the app/whatsapp are doing what you'd expect, but this is not for the faint of heart, and u have to always remember this special setup. Pie was never tested with apps2sd.

good luck.

Unfortunately not working for me.
I have attached original script and new script (renamed from *.sh to *.txt).
For some reason I cannot attach logs, so have attached them on external site.
The original script log:
https://pastebin.com/U7fhx3ND

The modified script log:
https://pastebin.com/MCtQjiuN

Maybe you can see something im missing.
However I do see that the new script which I have increased the /dev/block/vold/public:179,2 from original 179,1 cannot be found??

I am really desperate here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 00000000apps2sd-main.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: txt 00000000apps2sd-newdebug.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.6 KB, 4 views)
10th December 2019, 12:37 PM |#5399  
Thanks Meter: 185

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsports666

You are trying to hibernate system applications.
There is no guarantee that system applications will stay hibernated.
10th December 2019, 03:30 PM |#5400  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,572

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfavayi

You are trying to hibernate system applications.
There is no guarantee that system applications will stay hibernated.

From my past experiences with it, many will not stay hibernated and can cause unintended consequences.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app2sd, apps2sd, folder mount, link2sd, move2sd

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)