FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA]XDA Feed: The best XDA content made easy

3,212 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,347

By blk_jack, XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD on 7th April 2017, 02:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

Everyone knows what it's like to comb through the forums on a new device to find ROMs, kernels, apps and all the other customizations that come out of the community.

It's a mixed bag! It's satisfying when you do find something that really appeals to you, but it's also frustrating because a forum just simply isn't the best platform to show off a lot of the modifications we use. A lot of great content, be it wallpapers, icon packs, themes or even homescreens get lost in a sea of text lists, acronyms and giant threads :P

So we've come up with a way we think will help better promote, organize and support independent development in our community.

It's called XDA Feed! We started with optimized builds for the OnePlus 3 & OnePlus 3T, our most popular devices, then the Pixel and Pixel XL and now a general version for all devices.

Each device is supported by the community! You can contribute links to your favorite ROM, Kernel, Wallpaper, Thread, Homescreen, Icon Pack, Video or Article and help support your device with content.

Features
  • Browse, view, download and share the best content on XDA for your device!
  • Custom built in Download Manager supports resuming cancelled/failed downloads
  • Filter out content you're not interested in
  • Star content you're interested in to look at later
  • Granular notification control: opt out entirely, batch notifications to certain time intervals and specify which content you want to see updates from
  • Dark theme
  • Suggest content for your (and any!) device

Download

All devices! - [Download from Play]
Optimized for OnePlus 3/3T - [Download from Play]
Optimized for Pixel & Pixel XL - [Download from Play]

XDA:DevDB Information
[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA]XDA Feed: The best XDA content made easy, App for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
blk_jack

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 0.28.5
Beta Release Date: 2017-07-08

Created 2017-04-07
Last Updated 2017-07-08
The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]

7th April 2017, 02:01 PM |#2  
OP XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Flag Toronto

More
Community, contributions and questions
Community chat
Want to chat with the team or other Feed users? Want to help debug an issue?
Join us on Telegram in the XDA Feed group!
Help translate!
Head on over to our page on good ol' CrowdIn to join in the fun!

FAQ
Q: Why does this app exist?
We all know there is a ton of cool stuff you can do to your phone, but navigating the XDA forums to find it all can be a bit daunting. This app is a curated "feed" of all that stuff you wish you knew about, so you don't miss anything.

Q: Wait a sec...why are there multiple versions of Feed?
Our intent is to have specific versions of Feed for all major devices on XDA so that, for example, we can send Pixel ROMs to Pixel owners. A lot of the content we post, like wallpapers, icon packs, and cool videos, are <i>not</i> device-specific. That's why we have this app! If you have a high activity device, you will see more device-specific content. If not, you will see more general stuff. Got it?

Q: Why not just integrate this into XDA Labs?
We wanted to separate the functionality of Feed because we have some very cool stuff planned for it. You'll see!

General Limitations
  • Download History only shows items actually downloaded by Feed itself. Due to the Play Store TOS, this means Apps and Icon Packs are linked to and as such won't show up in Download history. We're not opposed to still including those downloads in the history, they just aren't there at the moment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2017, 02:01 PM |#3  
Flag Toronto

More
Roadmap and changes
Roadmap
We're engaged at keeping this app updated according to constructive user feedback. Here are a list of planned fixes and additions:
  • User submission portal and ability to vote and submit links
  • List of pending items to vote for
  • Leaderboard to show top contributors
  • Forum integration
  • Web portal
  • Filtered content types to not show notifications
  • Toggle to let user only be notified of starred item updates
  • AMOLED black theme
  • Thumbs up counter to show how popular something is

Changelog
0.28.5 (July 8)
  • [tweak] Landscape feed list
  • [tweak] Pinned alerts instead of navdrawer item
  • [tweak] Suggest to Feed example + help text
  • [tweak] Network connectivity/error messages
  • [tweak] Update translations
  • [tweak] Add Japanese/Portuguese translations
  • [fix] Auth issue repeatedly popping up Login page
  • [fix] Remove low activity device notification
  • [fix] DB migration crash
  • [fix[ Video notifications showing when disabled

0.28.1 (June 29)
  • [feature] Suggest content to Feed
  • [tweak] Fling and other animations
0.27.1 (May 24)
  • [feature] Data Saver mode in settings
  • [tweak] Related grid items randomized, load faster
  • [tweak] Grouped notifications now launch app
  • [fix] New user registration
  • [fix] Settings crash
  • [fix] Performance/scrolling when viewing details
  • [fix] Notification crash
  • [fix] Speed up gallery launch for slow connections
  • [fix] Animation fixes
0.26 (May 9)
  • Fix related wallpaper/video/homescreen duplicate pages
  • Work around Android bug/crash in related lists
  • Long pressing icons shows what they do
  • Update translations (added Dutch)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2017, 02:01 PM |#4  
Flag Toronto

More
Feature Requests
I'll keep this semi-regularly updated with the most popular feature requests from people. If they're part of the roadmap, I'll also make sure that's indicated.

Known Issues
  • Removing items from filters won't remove them from notifications (see Roadmap)
  • Added or removed Starred items won't show up in Starred section without a manual refresh (see Roadmap)
7th April 2017, 02:02 PM |#5  
Flag Toronto

More
We're live, folks! Anybody familiar with my threads knows the score. If not check out XDA Labs. Debug and testing builds will be up soon!

Be sure to read all the OP posts to reduce duplicate questions! Hope you guys like this app and like I mention in the OP will hopefully be rolling this out to more devices in the near future! <3
7th April 2017, 06:30 PM |#6  
Flag █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂
Thanks Meter: 668

More
You did it once again!! Thank you! Looks awesome
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmCentro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PalmCentro Ad-Free
7th April 2017, 06:31 PM |#7  
User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter: 6,436

More
Just want to thank the one and only @blk_jack for his efforts with this app. It was many months in the making! Also credit to @rwestergren for his fancy server work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift svetius Ad-Free
7th April 2017, 06:35 PM |#8  
Flag Vienna,Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 445

More
Make it for all devices or not make it at all! Yes i have read it's for all,but headline oneplus3,most popular!? U all have seems have forgoten how and why this site started,htc,sammy and some more devices have way more reasons to be first one,or even mentioned! They are here for over 10 years as i know,this is so not xda i know. Sorry for first post in tread like this,but u all out there are keep forgetting where and why all started.
7th April 2017, 06:41 PM |#9  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boskoel03

Make it for all devices or not make it at all! Yes i have read it's for all,but headline oneplus3,most popular!? U all have seems have forgoten how and why this site started,htc,sammy and some more devices have way more reasons to be first one,or even mentioned! They are here for over 10 years as i know,this is so not xda i know. Sorry for first post in tread like this,but u all out there are keep forgetting where and why all started.

Like mentioned in the news post, OP, etc, this is a beta release and we're specifically targeting two devices. Unlike other apps, this app is literally a curated feed of content for the OnePlus 3/3T. Yes, there's content all devices can use, but the backend data right now is largely manual and can't be done for every device automatically.

As we work on the app and grow in terms of features, usability, stability, etc, we'll also work on automating more and more parts of the backend to be able to include all devices.

This is the type of app I want to see for my device (and for the record I don't own a OP3/3T), but we can't get there for all devices over night. This is the first device supported and while you may not benefit from it, there are hundreds of thousands of users who can.

Using your logic, a ROM would be pointless if it didn't exist for every device. Certain ROMs and kernels exist for specific devices and that's the way XDA has always been. This is that in app form.
7th April 2017, 06:48 PM |#10  
Flag Vienna,Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 445

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_jack

Like mentioned in the news post, OP, etc, this is a beta release and we're specifically targeting two devices. Unlike other apps, this app is literally a curated feed of content for the OnePlus 3/3T. Yes, there's content all devices can use, but the backend data right now is largely manual and can't be done for every device automatically.

As we work on the app and grow both in terms of features, usability, stability, etc, we'll also work on automating more and more parts of the backend to be able to include all devices.

This is the type of app I want to see for my device (and for the record I don't own a OP3/3T), but we can't get there for all devices over night. This is the first device supported and while you may not benefit from it, there are hundreds of thousands of users who can.

Using your logic, a ROM would be pointless if it didn't exist for every device. Certain ROMs and kernels exist for specific devices and that's the way XDA has always been. This is that in app form.

No,my logic do not say rom should exist for every device,do not please turn my logic over. Simple,i think there are devices and manufactures who deserves more from u,from xda,not to follow only popular ones at the moment,there are devices that in way helped to build this site and i think u need to give deserved atenttion to them,that's my point,not that app needs to be on start for all devices,i know that needs a lot of work. Please sir do not bend my words,thanks,and that is all here from me. All the best with this work.
7th April 2017, 07:05 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boskoel03

No,my logic do not say rom should exist for every device,do not please turn my logic over. Simple,i think there are devices and manufactures who deserves more from u,from xda,not to follow only popular ones at the moment,there are devices that in way helped to build this site and i think u need to give deserved atenttion to them,that's my point,not that app needs to be on start for all devices,i know that needs a lot of work. Please sir do not bend my words,thanks,and that is all here from me. All the best with this work.

You said "Make it for all devices or not make it at all". Imagine if I went to a PureNexus ROM thread for the Pixel and said that because they didn't support my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact?

The fact of the matter is that unlike HTC or Samsung, OnePlus has actively reached out to the community in ways very few OEMs have these days (or ever, for that matter). The site may have been started to largely support HTC devices, but HTC has done very little to support our community and their efforts seem to only be decreasing! I say this as a longtime HTC owner who maintained ROMs for HTC devices for years.

I'm going to drop this line of conversation now, but I needed to address the point. It makes sense for XDA to target their largest base of users first -- many of whom own the devices specifically because of the efforts OnePlus has made to engage and support our community.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)