Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
feature.jpg

Everyone knows what it's like to comb through the forums on a new device to find ROMs, kernels, apps and all the other customizations that come out of the community.

It's a mixed bag! It's satisfying when you do find something that really appeals to you, but it's also frustrating because a forum just simply isn't the best platform to show off a lot of the modifications we use. A lot of great content, be it wallpapers, icon packs, themes or even homescreens get lost in a sea of text lists, acronyms and giant threads :p

So we've come up with a way we think will help better promote, organize and support independent development in our community.

It's called XDA Feed!

Each device is supported by the community! You can contribute links to your favorite ROM, Kernel, Wallpaper, Thread, Homescreen, Icon Pack, Video or Article and help support your device with content.

Features
  • Browse, view, download and share the best content on XDA for your device!
  • Custom built in Download Manager supports resuming cancelled/failed downloads
  • Filter out content you're not interested in
  • Star content you're interested in to look at later
  • Granular notification control: opt out entirely, batch notifications to certain time intervals and specify which content you want to see updates from
  • Dark theme
  • Suggest content for your (and any!) device
  • Leaderboard that shows top contributors!

Contribute!
Did you know Feed content comes from the community? Find the 'Suggest to Feed' links in the app or visit https://feed.xda-developers.com and suggest a link to see that item show up in Feed!

Interested in being part of the moderation and backend team? Send a PM to @blk_jack and we'll have a chat :)

Download
Stable builds - [Download from Play]
Test builds - [Download from Labs]

XDA:DevDB Information
[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA]XDA Feed: The best XDA content made easy, App for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
blk_jack

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 0.31
Beta Release Date: 2018-04-09

Created 2017-04-07
Last Updated 2018-04-17

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Community, contributions and questions

Community chat
Want to chat with the team or other Feed users? Want to help debug an issue?
Join us on Telegram in the XDA Feed group!

Help translate!
Head on over to our page on good ol' CrowdIn to join in the fun!​

FAQ
Q: Why does this app exist?
We all know there is a ton of cool stuff you can do to your phone, but navigating the XDA forums to find it all can be a bit daunting. This app is a curated "feed" of all that stuff you wish you knew about, so you don't miss anything.

Q: Wait a sec...why are there multiple versions of Feed?
This is deprecated and per-device builds will be removed soon. Make sure to grab the all devices version for the latest & quickest updates.

Q: Why not just integrate this into XDA Labs?
We wanted to separate the functionality of Feed because we have some very cool stuff planned for it. You'll see!

General Limitations
  • Download History only shows items actually downloaded by Feed itself. Due to the Play Store TOS, this means Apps and Icon Packs are linked to and as such won't show up in Download history. We're not opposed to still including those downloads in the history, they just aren't there at the moment.

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Roadmap and changes

Roadmap
We're engaged at keeping this app updated according to constructive user feedback. Here are a list of planned fixes and additions:
  • User submission portal and ability to vote and submit links
  • Leaderboard to show top contributors
  • Thumbs up counter to show how popular something is
  • Ranking points broken down per-user
  • Web portal
  • Search for an item
  • Forum integration
  • AMOLED black theme

Changelog
0.31 (April 9)
  • [feature] New card list UI
  • [feature] Toggle between compact (old)/detail (new) layouts
  • [feature] Toggle color in card backgrounds
  • [feature] Long-press card type to quick filter
  • [feature] Notifications show banner preview / thumb
  • [feature] Thanks counter
  • [feature] Rankings now expand to show points breakdown
  • [feature] Sort by popularity
  • [tweak] Tapping a selected bottom bar icon jumps you to top
  • [fix] Animation tweaks
  • [fix] Community crash on older devices
  • [fix] Tablet UI glitches
  • [fix] Oreo 8 crash on fullscreen rotate
  • [fix] Increase auth timeout

0.30.3 (Feb 15)
  • [fix] Clickable URLs always defaulting to browser
  • [fix] False positive user logged out errors
  • [fix] Crash when re-submitting a video suggestion
  • [fix] Vanishing menu icons on app resume
  • [fix] Other crashes, stability issues

0.30.1 (Feb 9)
  • [feature] Community tab (suggestions/rankings)
  • [feature] Filter for your device only
  • [feature] Users receive notices when suggestions are approved/denied
  • [feature] Users can resubmit denied suggestions
  • [feature] Users can share URLs to Feed from other apps (settings toggle)
  • [tweak] Mods can add notes to help submitters improve suggestions
  • [tweak] Icon shown for tagged content
  • [tweak] UI/animation improvements
  • [tweak] Update translations
  • [fix] Bugs in submit page
  • [fix] Avatar image resetting to default

0.28.5 (July 8)
  • [tweak] Landscape feed list
  • [tweak] Pinned alerts instead of navdrawer item
  • [tweak] Suggest to Feed example + help text
  • [tweak] Network connectivity/error messages
  • [tweak] Add Japanese/Portuguese translations
  • [fix] Auth issue repeatedly popping up Login page
  • [fix] Remove low activity device notification
  • [fix] DB migration crash
  • [fix[ Video notifications showing when disabled

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Feature Requests
I'll keep this semi-regularly updated with the most popular feature requests from people. If they're part of the roadmap, I'll also make sure that's indicated.​

Known Issues
  • Removing items from filters won't remove them from notifications
  • Added or removed Starred items won't show up in Starred section without a manual refresh

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
We're live, folks! Anybody familiar with my threads knows the score. If not check out XDA Labs. Debug and testing builds will be up soon!

Be sure to read all the OP posts to reduce duplicate questions! Hope you guys like this app and like I mention in the OP will hopefully be rolling this out to more devices in the near future! <3

Last edited:

Boskoel03

Nov 20, 2010
Vienna,Belgrade
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Make it for all devices or not make it at all! Yes i have read it's for all,but headline oneplus3,most popular!? U all have seems have forgoten how and why this site started,htc,sammy and some more devices have way more reasons to be first one,or even mentioned! They are here for over 10 years as i know,this is so not xda i know. Sorry for first post in tread like this,but u all out there are keep forgetting where and why all started.

Reactions: saarawilliam

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Make it for all devices or not make it at all! Yes i have read it's for all,but headline oneplus3,most popular!? U all have seems have forgoten how and why this site started,htc,sammy and some more devices have way more reasons to be first one,or even mentioned! They are here for over 10 years as i know,this is so not xda i know. Sorry for first post in tread like this,but u all out there are keep forgetting where and why all started.

Like mentioned in the news post, OP, etc, this is a beta release and we're specifically targeting two devices. Unlike other apps, this app is literally a curated feed of content for the OnePlus 3/3T. Yes, there's content all devices can use, but the backend data right now is largely manual and can't be done for every device automatically.

As we work on the app and grow in terms of features, usability, stability, etc, we'll also work on automating more and more parts of the backend to be able to include all devices.

This is the type of app I want to see for my device (and for the record I don't own a OP3/3T), but we can't get there for all devices over night. This is the first device supported and while you may not benefit from it, there are hundreds of thousands of users who can.

Using your logic, a ROM would be pointless if it didn't exist for every device. Certain ROMs and kernels exist for specific devices and that's the way XDA has always been. This is that in app form.

Boskoel03

Nov 20, 2010
Vienna,Belgrade
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Like mentioned in the news post, OP, etc, this is a beta release and we're specifically targeting two devices. Unlike other apps, this app is literally a curated feed of content for the OnePlus 3/3T. Yes, there's content all devices can use, but the backend data right now is largely manual and can't be done for every device automatically.

As we work on the app and grow both in terms of features, usability, stability, etc, we'll also work on automating more and more parts of the backend to be able to include all devices.

This is the type of app I want to see for my device (and for the record I don't own a OP3/3T), but we can't get there for all devices over night. This is the first device supported and while you may not benefit from it, there are hundreds of thousands of users who can.

Using your logic, a ROM would be pointless if it didn't exist for every device. Certain ROMs and kernels exist for specific devices and that's the way XDA has always been. This is that in app form.
No,my logic do not say rom should exist for every device,do not please turn my logic over. Simple,i think there are devices and manufactures who deserves more from u,from xda,not to follow only popular ones at the moment,there are devices that in way helped to build this site and i think u need to give deserved atenttion to them,that's my point,not that app needs to be on start for all devices,i know that needs a lot of work. Please sir do not bend my words,thanks,and that is all here from me. All the best with this work.

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
No,my logic do not say rom should exist for every device,do not please turn my logic over. Simple,i think there are devices and manufactures who deserves more from u,from xda,not to follow only popular ones at the moment,there are devices that in way helped to build this site and i think u need to give deserved atenttion to them,that's my point,not that app needs to be on start for all devices,i know that needs a lot of work. Please sir do not bend my words,thanks,and that is all here from me. All the best with this work.

You said "Make it for all devices or not make it at all". Imagine if I went to a PureNexus ROM thread for the Pixel and said that because they didn't support my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact?

The fact of the matter is that unlike HTC or Samsung, OnePlus has actively reached out to the community in ways very few OEMs have these days (or ever, for that matter). The site may have been started to largely support HTC devices, but HTC has done very little to support our community and their efforts seem to only be decreasing! I say this as a longtime HTC owner who maintained ROMs for HTC devices for years.

I'm going to drop this line of conversation now, but I needed to address the point. It makes sense for XDA to target their largest base of users first -- many of whom own the devices specifically because of the efforts OnePlus has made to engage and support our community.

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Clearly I'm too used to IRC and screwed up the Telegram channel. I wanted a group, not a channel. So here's the group! https://t.me/xda_feed

Join and say hi if you'd like :)

Last edited:
S

sawdoctor

The OP makes an app for a device he owns thats how it works, he is under no obligation to make anything for any device. I must say if you are requesting him to make it for your device it doesn't sound like a request but more like a demand which certainly isn't allowed on xda

Regards

Sawdcotor

Boskoel03

Nov 20, 2010
Vienna,Belgrade
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
The OP makes an app for a device he owns thats how it works, he is under no obligation to make anything for any device. I must say if you are requesting him to make it for your device it doesn't sound like a request but more like a demand which certainly isn't allowed on xda

Regards

Sawdcotor
Read again,he does not own that device,and i have no requests here,u have no need to quote me,i have already said what i have to OP. If u are frustated in any way,find another way ,nothing i said is adressed to u,and i am here for long long time,and i know xda rules very good,do not teach me. If u new moderators or whatever wont to delete my posts feel free,but do not quote me without any need for that.

yarpiin

May 30, 2013
Bangor UK
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Xiaomi Mi 10
Just courious how you adding and choose feeds ? you plan to cover all things for op3 or just most recognized devs ?

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Wow that's amazing, thanks man! Now I need to add a translator credits section to the app ;)
Heh no prob :) have my own interest in it as my kernels are for OP3 ;)

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    feature.jpg

Everyone knows what it's like to comb through the forums on a new device to find ROMs, kernels, apps and all the other customizations that come out of the community.

It's a mixed bag! It's satisfying when you do find something that really appeals to you, but it's also frustrating because a forum just simply isn't the best platform to show off a lot of the modifications we use. A lot of great content, be it wallpapers, icon packs, themes or even homescreens get lost in a sea of text lists, acronyms and giant threads :p

So we've come up with a way we think will help better promote, organize and support independent development in our community.

It's called XDA Feed!

Each device is supported by the community! You can contribute links to your favorite ROM, Kernel, Wallpaper, Thread, Homescreen, Icon Pack, Video or Article and help support your device with content.

Features
    • Browse, view, download and share the best content on XDA for your device!
    • Custom built in Download Manager supports resuming cancelled/failed downloads
    • Filter out content you're not interested in
    • Star content you're interested in to look at later
    • Granular notification control: opt out entirely, batch notifications to certain time intervals and specify which content you want to see updates from
    • Dark theme
    • Suggest content for your (and any!) device
    • Leaderboard that shows top contributors!

Contribute!
    Did you know Feed content comes from the community? Find the 'Suggest to Feed' links in the app or visit https://feed.xda-developers.com and suggest a link to see that item show up in Feed!

Interested in being part of the moderation and backend team? Send a PM to @blk_jack and we'll have a chat :)

Download
    Stable builds - [Download from Play]
    Test builds - [Download from Labs]

XDA:DevDB Information
    [OFFICIAL XDA][BETA]XDA Feed: The best XDA content made easy, App for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
    blk_jack

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 0.31
    Beta Release Date: 2018-04-09

Created 2017-04-07
    Last Updated 2018-04-17
    We're just about to launch a universal version of feed for all devices and a way for users and devs to submit and vote on content! Stay tuned for a test build very soon.

Feed was mentioned in the last episode of AAA by XDA writer Steven Zimmerman! If you'd like to vote for Feed go here: http://www.strawpoll.me/13243399

:cool::cowboy:
    Community, contributions and questions

Community chat
    Want to chat with the team or other Feed users? Want to help debug an issue?
    Join us on Telegram in the XDA Feed group!

Help translate!
    Head on over to our page on good ol' CrowdIn to join in the fun!​

FAQ
    Q: Why does this app exist?
    We all know there is a ton of cool stuff you can do to your phone, but navigating the XDA forums to find it all can be a bit daunting. This app is a curated "feed" of all that stuff you wish you knew about, so you don't miss anything.

Q: Wait a sec...why are there multiple versions of Feed?
    This is deprecated and per-device builds will be removed soon. Make sure to grab the all devices version for the latest & quickest updates.

Q: Why not just integrate this into XDA Labs?
    We wanted to separate the functionality of Feed because we have some very cool stuff planned for it. You'll see!

General Limitations
    • Download History only shows items actually downloaded by Feed itself. Due to the Play Store TOS, this means Apps and Icon Packs are linked to and as such won't show up in Download history. We're not opposed to still including those downloads in the history, they just aren't there at the moment.
    0.28.5 is out on Play and Labs. Download links in OP. Thanks to everyone who's helped test beta builds on Labs.
    We're still working on improving the user submission tools so you'll see content you've submitted and voted on approved and in the app in the near future! Thanks for everyone's patience as we figure out how to best manage everything. <3

Changes:
    • [tweak] Landscape feed list
    • [tweak] Pinned alerts instead of navdrawer item
    • [tweak] Suggest to Feed example + help text
    • [tweak] Network connectivity/error messages
    • [tweak] Add Japanese/Portuguese translations
    • [fix] Auth issue repeatedly popping up Login page
    • [fix] Remove low activity device notification
    • [fix] DB migration crash
    • [fix[ Video notifications showing when disabled
    We're live, folks! Anybody familiar with my threads knows the score. If not check out XDA Labs. Debug and testing builds will be up soon!

Be sure to read all the OP posts to reduce duplicate questions! Hope you guys like this app and like I mention in the OP will hopefully be rolling this out to more devices in the near future! <3