FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA][MAR 19]XDA Labs: Forum App + App Installer + Xposed Repo

3,311 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,034

By blk_jack, XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD on 5th November 2015, 08:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from blk_jack: Join us on IRC in #xda-labs on Freenode!
12th March 2018, 04:28 PM |#10311  
Flag Frankfurt am Main
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [

AL [];75863075]I'm not too familiar with Magisk so forgive my ignorance here. But aren't the modules just as the old custom recovery flashable zips? If so, why would a repository be beneficial if they are (as I understand) just phone/rom/setup very specific tweaks?

Yes, they are zips. Depending on the mod, some are device specific and some are general. Just as some Xposed apps.

A repo would be beneficial because:
a) official repo doesnt have all the latest mods, takes time to add them, they are managed by 1 person
b) they are here, on XDA, so I need to browse XDA either way to find them, it would just be easier
c) its basically analogue to Xposed, both are mods, done on XDA, extend the functionalities of devices, depend on container that needs to be installed for it to work, hugely popular, need to be enabled in the managers after install, need reboots after install/update, etc.. the question would be why is one supported and the other not?

The only difference is basically that ones are apps and others are zips. But everything except that is the same (user facing). By the same logic one would ask why are apps that use Xposed in their own category as they could just be next to all other apps?
The Following User Says Thank You to dj_chapz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dj_chapz Ad-Free

12th March 2018, 04:46 PM |#10312  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 7,431

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_chapz

The only difference is basically that ones are apps and others are zips. But everything except that is the same (user facing). By the same logic one would ask why are apps that use Xposed in their own category as they could just be next to all other apps?

Exactly. I would argue folding Magisk and Xposed modules into general apps (within appropriate sub-categories) is the way to go vs adding a dedicated Magisk section and whatever else comes next.
13th March 2018, 11:04 AM |#10313  
Senior Moderator / XDA Labs Contributor / Forest Keeper
Thanks Meter: 11,186

More
@blk_jack
About the fix called "[fix] Large image OOM crashes in posts" in previous v1.1.5b debug, I still notice XDA Labs freezes when I browse threads with a lot of pictures. The app doesn't crash anymore (I guess it's the actual fix) but it still freezes. Maybe it's not about this at all, so what was the goal of this fix please?

If you need logs, I'd be happy to provide them, as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180307-214516.png
Views:	450
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	4445696  
13th March 2018, 02:10 PM |#10314  
OP XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 11,034

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Man

@blk_jack
About the fix called "[fix] Large image OOM crashes in posts" in previous v1.1.5b debug, I still notice XDA Labs freezes when I browse threads with a lot of pictures. The app doesn't crash anymore (I guess it's the actual fix) but it still freezes. Maybe it's not about this at all, so what was the goal of this fix please?

If you need logs, I'd be happy to provide them, as always.

There were a couple issues relating to images and memory, but the one that specific patch addressed was massive inline images in posts (i.e. 7500x4000 resolutions). Now what happens is those images are scaled down automatically to a max size to prevent instant OOM crashes.

I'm not sure it was even a widely reported bug, but one user had a giant image in his ROM thread and I got a bunch of reports from that.

Anyway regardless it should help cut down on the OOM related crashes. Because each post doesn't limit the number of images it's still possible to slow down and crash the app though if there are a ton of images in a post.

I think I mentioned before but without a major refactor in the way posts are displayed in the forum code there's no way to prevent this entirely.

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2018, 02:27 PM |#10315  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_jack

There were a couple issues relating to images and memory, but the one that specific patch addressed was massive inline images in posts (i.e. 7500x4000 resolutions). Now what happens is those images are scaled down automatically to a max size to prevent instant OOM crashes.

I'm not sure it was even a widely reported bug, but one user had a giant image in his ROM thread and I got a bunch of reports from that.

Anyway regardless it should help cut down on the OOM related crashes. Because each post doesn't limit the number of images it's still possible to slow down and crash the app though if there are a ton of images in a post.

I think I mentioned before but without a major refactor in the way posts are displayed in the forum code there's no way to prevent this entirely.

Sent from my PH-1 using XDA Labs

Thanks, yeah I remember now. I think it's related to that post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=6823

An image in OP was 7500 x 3000 pixels and triggered lags / maybe crashes for some devices
13th March 2018, 05:48 PM |#10316  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,933

More
One thing that I just noticed and didn't yet find in the feature request list: It would be nice if certain links (such as Play store links, YT etc.) opened in their corresponding apps (if installed) when the chrome custom tabs option is enabled. Currently play store links open in custom tabs and in order to actually open the play store you have to click the "open in chrome" button (which in that case doesn't do what it reads).

On a side note, I think it would be easier to manage the issues and requests on for example a Trello board than in this long list that doesn't look great on mobile
13th March 2018, 07:31 PM |#10317  
Flag Someplace In Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Hello I don't know if it is just me but the new labs update gives a parsing error is it because it is not compltible with KitKat now or just a random parsing error message
13th March 2018, 08:40 PM |#10318  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOZ24

Hello I don't know if it is just me but the new labs update gives a parsing error is it because it is not compltible with KitKat now or just a random parsing error message

It definitely would be that the apk file is not properly downloaded. I use XDA labs latest update on a Jellybean device.

You can download latest apk from Apkmirror, and also verify the checksums listed there.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWasdennnoch

One thing that I just noticed and didn't yet find in the feature request list: It would be nice if certain links (such as Play store links, YT etc.) opened in their corresponding apps (if installed) when the chrome custom tabs option is enabled. Currently play store links open in custom tabs and in order to actually open the play store you have to click the "open in chrome" button (which in that case doesn't do what it reads).

You can use Flashify. This app is just 40 kb in size, yet extremely extremely useful.
You can simply share any YouTube, Playstore, Google Drive, etc URL to open them in their respective apps or any other browser.

When a link is opened in custom tab, simply tap share from the 3 dot menu and choose Flashify. You will get a pop-up to choose its respective app or any other browser.

The sole purpose of this app is to convert a "Share URL" dialog box to "Open with" dialog box.

There's one more extremely useful 20 kb app called " Browser Intercept - Share URL" which does the opposite of this app: converts "Open With" dialog box to "Share URL" dialog box.

Both apps are available in F-Droid Repo. Flashify is available in Playstore also.
Both apps are bare bones, they don't have UI.

Here's F-Droid URL of Flashify:
https://f-droid.org/app/com.nightsha...anotherbrowser

Here's for Browser Intercept:
https://f-droid.org/app/com.intricat...d.sharebrowser
13th March 2018, 09:28 PM |#10319  
Thanks Meter: 118

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOZ24

Min SDK is 16. Try downloading it again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180313_222650_785.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	4446256  
13th March 2018, 09:45 PM |#10320  

More
Why you guys go to apkmirror? If you want the latest test version, be sure to run v1.1.4b version from OP (devdb download tab) and then opt-in "Labs tester" in settings, you'll get a download popup to install via OTA latest v1.1.5.4b test build.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
13th March 2018, 09:46 PM |#10321  
Flag Qaqortoq
Thanks Meter: 11,462

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Man

Why you guys go to apkmirror? If you want the latest test version, be sure to run v1.1.4b version from OP (devdb download tab) and then opt-in "Labs tester" in settings, you'll get a download popup to install via OTA latest v1.1.5.4b test build.

I believe it is only to show MinSDK in a screenshot. Though you can also see it in the install pop-out if you install using apk downloaded to /android/com.xda.labs folder
The Following User Says Thank You to Eleo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Eleo Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
xda app

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)