FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA][MAR 19]XDA Labs: Forum App + App Installer + Xposed Repo

3,294 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,199

By blk_jack, XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD on 5th November 2015, 08:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from blk_jack: Join us on IRC in #xda-labs on Freenode!
8th August 2019, 10:52 AM |#11811  
Flag Norcross, GA
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Man

Sorry by "manual means to acquire a file?" I thought you meant the log files, not the download files.
Which version of XDA Labs do you use?
Is it 1.1.6b? Regular or debug version?
In your logs I can see a DownloadManger exception.
One semi-random suggestion would be to wipe data of your DownloadManager and retry to download apps.
Another one would be to check if your devices run dns apps, try to disable them and retry downloads.

I accept your apology. It's XDA Labs failing me, not me failing XDA Labs... My question is quite a propos isn't it?
So you do not know if it's possible to manually acquire a file after one's paid for it, and XDA Labs cannot deliver it.
OK, how does someone get in touch with the developer(s) of XDA Labs? Assuming I cannot, you as moderator probably can.
Can you do me a solid and send a request for one of them to look at this please and advise? I would be most grateful.

I'm running 1.1.7b (debug).
The line with the 403 exception for the DownloadManager suggests to me, my phones do not have appropriate access to download the file.
I am not running any special DNS program. I'm running stock Verizon carrier configurations which are not rooted.
For a user like myself, this should be as easy as using the PlayStore to acquire a XDALabs hosted application, but... it's not working. Please, pass this along.
Yes - I've already attempted to contact the dev of the particular application I'm trying to download. He's busy. I shouldn't have to privately send the developer a request for assistance. It's not his fault.

This has been painful.

8th August 2019, 11:02 AM |#11812  
Moderator Committee / Senior Moderator / XDA Labs Contributor / Forest Keeper
Forest stage inhabited by robot bats, mechanical hares and atomic chickens
Thanks Meter: 16,516

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfortin

I accept your apology. It's XDA Labs failing me, not me failing XDA Labs... My question is quite a propos isn't it?
So you do not know if it's possible to manually acquire a file after one's paid for it, and XDA Labs cannot deliver it.
OK, how does someone get in touch with the developer(s) of XDA Labs? Assuming I cannot, you as moderator probably can.
Can you do me a solid and send a request for one of them to look at this please and advise? I would be most grateful.

I'm running 1.1.7b (debug).
The line with the 403 exception for the DownloadManager suggests to me, my phones do not have appropriate access to download the file.
I am not running any special DNS program. I'm running stock Verizon carrier configurations which are not rooted.
For a user like myself, this should be as easy as using the PlayStore to acquire a XDALabs hosted application, but... it's not working. Please, pass this along.
Yes - I've already attempted to contact the dev of the particular application I'm trying to download. He's busy. I shouldn't have to privately send the developer a request for assistance. It's not his fault.

This has been painful.

1.1.7b is a test build which has been released on telegram only. Try official 1.1.6b available from OP and your download issue will be gone IMO. Please let us know.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
8th August 2019, 02:58 PM |#11813  
Recognized Contributor
Flag IDK
Thanks Meter: 15,767

More
Quote:

1.1.7b is a test build which has been released on telegram only. Try official 1.1.6b available from OP and your download issue will be gone IMO. Please let us know.

1.1.7b-rc1 is also available on apk mirror - Which is when I got it from & only to discover the download issue - Thanks to the salient question from another member 😉🕊️

Sent from my SM-G975W using XDA Labs
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaggyskunk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shaggyskunk Ad-Free
8th August 2019, 04:58 PM |#11814  
Flag Norcross, GA

More
Well, I had already tried 1.1.5, 1.1.6 and 1.1.7 on the phone, running Android 5.x that I needed to have AAGateway on, and none worked. I did manage to get it to download via 1.1.6 on a phone running Android 8.x.

I don't care about this dysfunctional situation any more. I'm past it. I downloaded it onto one phone and moved it to the other via Filezilla and SwiFTP, and it's installed. After all this effort - it's probably not going to work.

It's been an adventure. This is the poster child though of poor service delivery and documentation. If there are version (Android OS) capability / compatibility requirements for a particular version of XDALabs, someone should document them. I could have gotten where I needed to be sooner had this been done.

Thanks Woodman, that was an experience I never want to repeat and wish on no other user.

Ibuprophen - I am in your debt and will pay it forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfortin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfortin Ad-Free
8th August 2019, 11:08 PM |#11815  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyskunk

1.1.7b-rc1 is also available on apk mirror...

I knew this but what I meant is that 1.1.7b RC1 has been provided through telegram for test purpose by blk_jack himself. The other files available elsewhere, apkmirror for instance, are not there thanks to him.

About the above topic, a little reminder for everyone: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...6/post79758698
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
8th August 2019, 11:43 PM |#11816  

More
Quote:

It's been an adventure. This is the poster child though of poor service delivery and documentation. If there are version (Android OS) capability / compatibility requirements for a particular version of XDALabs, someone should document them. I could have gotten where I needed to be sooner had this been done.

Thanks Woodman, that was an experience I never want to repeat and wish on no other user.

My time spent on xda has been a 100% adventure, that's how I learnt so many things. An adventure of a non-developer full of testing, reading, learning from others, experimenting, testing, providing help, reading, asking, taking logs, posting full bug reports, posting bad jokes and pony memes, etc. all for free. That was not because someone asked me, it was just because I wanted it. An adventure of taking my free time (sometimes leaving my family behind, which is awful and I'm no longer doing this). That is how I see we can build something great in my opinion and how I think we can provide to other people and build a teamwork spirit in our community. All this as volunteers, like you and me.

I'm digressing I guess.

About "someone should document them.", I'm wondering if it's a request or something else. If someone else than the developer (blk_jack) wants to do it, feel free, I won't be that guy because my plate is full at the moment. If it's the dev himself, it's his thread and I won't tell him what he has to do.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
9th August 2019, 11:53 AM |#11817  
Flag Norcross, GA

More
Quote:

My time spent on xda has been a 100% adventure, that's how I learnt so many things. An adventure of a non-developer full of testing, reading, learning from others, experimenting, testing, providing help, reading, asking, taking logs, posting full bug reports, posting bad jokes and pony memes, etc. all for free.

About "someone should document them.", I'm wondering if it's a request or something else..

I did find the GIF of the huge wood-splitting machine interesting.

I do appreciate you advising and answering questions. In this case I guess I just had to prove it wasn't a user problem. In the end - I found a work-around.

Even if I had known not to run 1.1.7b on my LG V30 with OS 8.x (and to use 1.1.6 instead), and had been successful, I would not have known, nor do I know now what version of XDA Labs would have been compatible with my LG G2 that is running OS 5.x.

That is the problem. It shouldn't matter. I presume the XDA Labs delivery should work independent of the version of OS on my devices, more in line with the PlayStore.

I don't know if this is even possible, but maybe an alternate means of acquiring the files could be employed as a backup. You know, low-tech like APKMirror. You have to have login creds, and you need to have a record or token or something that you paid for an app. That info is stored somewhere. I don't know if that's possible or practical. That's why there is a program for this purpose right?

I'm all for an alternate to the PlayStore to support development by developers, and to perform some kind of revision control / tracking / distribution. I want to be clear about that.

I'm still uncertain if the program I ultimately acquired needs to be installed on both phones to do it's thing. I think possibly not. Not being sure, I had to download it to both places.

Is there another poster here complaining of download problems? Maybe that's a legit issue that affects more than just myself and needs to be investigated. Maybe this will result in a better XDA Labs for everybody.

Anyway - thanks for your help and keep up the good work helping newbies like myself.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sfortin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfortin Ad-Free
9th August 2019, 02:14 PM |#11818  

More
Quote:

Is there another poster here complaining of download problems? Maybe that's a legit issue that affects more than just myself and needs to be investigated. Maybe this will result in a better XDA Labs for everybody.

Yes download issues are a often reported here, you're not alone. That's why blk_jack planned to develop his own download manager more than 2 years ago: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...6/post71414801

I hope it will be done.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
9th August 2019, 05:53 PM |#11819  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,027

More
Quote:

... bad jokes ...

About "someone should document them.", I'm wondering if it's a request or something else. If someone else than the developer (blk_jack) wants to do it, feel free, I won't be that guy because my plate is full at the moment. If it's the dev himself, it's his thread and I won't tell him what he has to do.

Based somewhat on the farcical notion that, if the Earth were flat then cats would have pushed everything off of it by now and on Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Nine Billion Names of God"...

Perhaps it is for the best that your plate is full and you don't have the time to document absolutely everything.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
14th August 2019, 03:03 PM |#11820  
Dallas
Thanks Meter: 70

More
How can i make this app open on "subscribed threads", every time,?
14th August 2019, 04:14 PM |#11821  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 770

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzulu

How can i make this app open on "subscribed threads", every time,?

Settings, enable forum icon. Use that icon to open the app. Then spend the rest of the day wondering why you didn't just search and find the answer a lot faster.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to githyanki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift githyanki Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
xda app

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)