FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA][MAR 19]XDA Labs: Forum App + App Installer + Xposed Repo

3,293 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,161

By blk_jack, XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD on 5th November 2015, 08:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from blk_jack: Join us on IRC in #xda-labs on Freenode!
9th November 2015, 02:42 PM |#111  
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 309

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLooDW

Downloads go to internal phone storage in \Download\XDA One.
@Beat_Slayer already answered HERE and I can confirm it. I've just tested.
It's weird you can't find "Xda One" folder on your phone man !

Really.. Nothing..

I just try again.. downloading apps Dev Check.. and i cant find the file.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

9th November 2015, 02:58 PM |#112  
Thanks Meter: 328

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetius

Few things there. First, over time we will be allowing apps not allowed on the play store. That includes apps that can modify your system, adult apps, and so forth. Second, for apps like Hangouts and Facebook and even YouTube, we will be uploaded early releases. Often times there are new versions of apps on the way out but Google releases them in staged rollouts that can take days or weeks. With Labs, you can get the update right away. Great example from the past would be Hangouts 4.0, with its redesign, which a lucky few got very quickly and the rest of us were left waiting. With Labs we will get the APK and push it down to your device very quickly.

Hopefully this can be completely disabled. I don't want the app to scan my apps and push updates.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stunned For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stunned Ad-Free
9th November 2015, 03:03 PM |#113  
Moderator Committee / Senior Moderator / XDA Labs Contributor / Forest Keeper
Forest stage inhabited by robot bats, mechanical hares and atomic chickens
Thanks Meter: 15,152

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuska

Really.. Nothing..

I just try again.. downloading apps Dev Check.. and i cant find the file.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

OK, sorry I didn't understand you talked about apps downloads (I thought it was files downloaded from xda forums).
Now you can check in phone internal storage in \Android\data\com.xda.labs\files if you find your downloads
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
9th November 2015, 04:11 PM |#114  
Flag Paarl, Cape Town
Thanks Meter: 192

More
Dope app, keep up the good work
9th November 2015, 07:44 PM |#115  
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 11,776

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunned

Hopefully this can be completely disabled. I don't want the app to scan my apps and push updates.

No automatic updates are done in Labs right now - you always get to choose if and when you want to update.

I've had 4 updates sitting for a while now, and I had to go and manually approve the update to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2015, 08:23 PM |#116  
OP XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36

Wow this permanently runs at over 100 mb of ram, can you please make a way to disable all the apps and xposed bloat and just have it as a forum browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLapin

+1 for that. And a setting for disabling push service will be handy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36

Please either make the forum part a separate downloadable app or make the ability to disable the other features as they don't really seem needed for me (and probably a lot of others)

So this is to address the whole concern/suggestions about splitting up the app. This is also to address posts that claim having both the forums and apps/xposed/wallpapers section of Labs is bloated.

First off, we are looking into making it so that you can disable or at least hide various parts of the app depending on your interest. The goal here is to create a better XDA experience, and while there are users who just primarily use the forums, there are also users who heavily use Xposed or who use Labs to get the latest apks before Play pushes them out.

Separating all those things out would first off make a ton of different apps to install, but also make it harder for us to maintain and develop for.

Second, and this is how the app currently works, each section of the app is handled using Android's native memory management. What that means is that say you're in the Apps/Xposed section and you switch to Forums. When Android needs RAM, it will automatically stop the Apps/Xposed activity and reclaim that memory. This means that sure, if you go from one to the other, they're both in memory right after that, but Android will appropriately clean up depending on what it needs and what section you're actually using.

This allows us to have a Forums and Apps/Xposed section in the app and to effectively hide one of those activities in the user interface and never load those activities in memory.

Right now if you enable the XDA Forums launcher icon, the app will load the Forums only and unless you go to Labs proper, will not load that part of the app in memory.

This doesn't address the issue people have mentioned where they want to disable the Labs part entirely and only have forums (with 1 launcher icon), but it does address the fear I've seen here that imply simply having an Apps/Xposed section the app is using up memory or causing "bloat".

So in the cards the idea of being able to disable/prioritize sections of the app you use most is definitely something we're considering and putting a lot of thought into.
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2015, 08:25 PM |#117  
OP XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuska

Could you, dev, make a link from app or xposed tab to related link forum ?
Ex : for Facebook Lite from App Tab... if i click on a button it will direct me to a open a forum thread.

We actually already forum links for apps. The ones typically from Play don't have forums (or links), but we can talk about potentially including this, though I'm not sure what the conversation will revolve around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22

Please add font size options.

Heard this request from a few people, I'll update the roadmap & include it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMK2000

Suggestion:
Can the app be installed automatically with root permissions? Since when I click Xposed page, I have already grand you the root permission, so it would be nice if the app can be installed in the background.

Question:
Apart from bit corn, can I pay the app by credit cards or PayPal? (I haven't tried it yet)

Auto-root update is something we've mentioned as being on our roadmap, will update the OP with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugoslavpetrovic

XDA labs, looks great, nice update feature, but it feels heavy as hell, a bit like its a monster 3d game and its not. You can feel that by using it, other than that it is great. If some performance optimization is possible, that would be nice.

Performance optimizations are literally mentioned in the OP as something that's coming. The app itself isn't that heavy though and will use 0 extra battery when not actually running for the user and even still should be just as "intense" as any other app that has a bunch of graphics and data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunned

So even though the app has push notifications it isn't actually scanning your apps and there's no backend database of the apps you have installed.

We're using MQTT, so the app subscribes to the app via its package name and then when an update comes out our backend server tells the MQTT server to broadcast a push notification to all the devices that have subscribed to that app.

THAT SAID, we are planning on adding the ability to control your push notifications (I believe it's mentioned in the OP).
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2015, 08:29 PM |#118  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 2,645

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLapin

I suggest to make parts of the interface switchable. Don't need Xposed modules - switch it off in settings. Same with apps, XDA news and forums (maybe someone don't need forums as well )

@blk_jack my thoughts exactly
9th November 2015, 10:01 PM |#119  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Salé
Thanks Meter: 3,124

More
Nice good luck for the future
9th November 2015, 10:35 PM |#120  
Thanks Meter: 328

More
Also dividing Store/xposed and Forums to own apps would allow to put Forums app to Play Store, which was at least a plan with XDA One app. I believe Google won't allow any 3rd party app stores to Play store.
9th November 2015, 11:00 PM |#121  
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 309

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_jack

We actually already forum links for apps. The ones typically from Play don't have forums (or links), but we can talk about potentially including this, though I'm not sure what the conversation will revolve around.

No... what i mean is a link to related forum thread at XDA. From apps tab, where there is descriptions has a link to related posts.

Ex : Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-10-05-48-39~01.png
Views:	1050
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	3536741

From that screenshot i cannot find any link to related / fb lite thread at XDA forum.

Thank you
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
xda app

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)