FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA][MAR 19]XDA Labs: Forum App + App Installer + Xposed Repo

3,300 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,319

By blk_jack, XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD on 5th November 2015, 09:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from blk_jack: Join us on IRC in #xda-labs on Freenode!
13th January 2020, 01:22 PM |#12031  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaplan479

Is this app still running? Constant crashes no matter what version or phone...

It's working like a charm for me [Android 9, Samsung A70].
I also use Blokada.
14th January 2020, 09:21 PM |#12032  
Flag amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hi, in not getting notifications for replies. Also if I try to open a link from Google chrome it says, failed to load url or something similar
15th January 2020, 10:53 PM |#12033  
OP XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Flag Toronto

More
Hey all, it's been awhile.

People have been asking what's going on w/ Labs? Well the TLDR is that I haven't been working at XDA for the past 2 years. That's why there hasn't been any updates!

Well that's going to change for a bit as I'm back, baby, and I'm working on modernizing a few things with the app and bringing it into 2020 and beyond.

There's a laundry list of issues that Wood Man has been maintaining on github [link], but there are some very fundamental things that need to be fixed first. Let me give a brief overview of the major changes that will be happening over the next month or so.

Automated builds (CI/CD)
This allows other developers to contribute to the app and have the system build/push out compiled APKs for testing.
  • Setup the build system via a cloud provider
  • Create a notification channel (Telegram?) for testers to grab the latest APKs from
  • In the future tie this into Labs' beta testing channel

Migrate Labs to a new cloud provider
This is behind the scenes, but it will let us reduce hosting costs and provide better scalability/redundancy for the backend

Switch to using Google push notifications
Google has essentially killed off the background service which Labs uses for notifications. Right now they barely work!
  • Update backend to support end user registration tokens
  • Update app to use/display GCM notifications

Refactor payments/downloads out of broken service
  • Switch these parts of the app over to proper jobs instead of the service

Download manager
Implement a download manager that will fix failed downloads, let users pause/resume and deal w/ bad network connectivity much better
  • Implement a modern download manager to help users properly download/install apps.

I realize these things aren't shiny new features, but they are essential to complete in order to add other developers to the project, which could include open sourcing things and allowing for a more community-focused and collaborative Labs.

I hope that helped explain SOME things, but please feel free to ask any follow up questions here and I'll do my best to answer them.
The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2020, 11:12 PM |#12034  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotkurtcobain

Please add an AMOLED mode

If you have any suggestions/ideas, you need to check the roadmap and the very comprehensive list at https://github.com/Wood-Man/XDA-Labs...estions/issues.

IF by some crazy miracle your suggestion isn't on either of those lists (it is), then you can mention it to @Wood Man

In reply to an AMOLED mode, check out this article. https://www.xda-developers.com/amole...ray-dark-mode/
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2020, 11:15 PM |#12035  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,221

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotkurtcobain

Please add an AMOLED mode

I don't think this is a thing that's at the top of the developers list, maybe use a theme instead.

Thank you @blk_jack, there are some much needed things on your list like the notification service, all other issues are well documented by @Wood Man here and on GitHub. I'm looking forward to every fix, this app is worth it (also it's the most used application on my device ). Nice to hear that there's some action to come.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wolfcity For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wolfcity Ad-Free
15th January 2020, 11:22 PM |#12036  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcity

I don't think this is a thing that's at the top of the developers list, maybe use a theme instead.

Thank you @blk_jack, there are some much needed things on your list like the notification service, all other issues are well documented by @Wood Man here and on GitHub. I'm looking forward to every fix, this app is worth it (also it's the most used application on my device ). Nice to hear that there's some action to come.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs

Using this reply to also mention that longstanding issues like registration being broken and the 1.1.7b-rc1 build (on telegram) not letting you install apps has been fixed and those builds will be pushed live VERY soon. Hopefully this week!
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th January 2020, 01:27 AM |#12037  
RC-RT Committee / Moderator Committee / Senior Moderator - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Thanks Meter: 58,784

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_jack

Using this reply to also mention

New phone....who dis?!?

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using XDA Labs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Castle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Frank Castle Ad-Free
16th January 2020, 06:47 PM |#12038  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Maybe this is not the right topic, but i have the XDA 1.1.6b-play app on Android 10 and all works fine but i can only scroll one page in forums. If i want to go to another page i have to click on for example page 2/4 on top of the screen.
Isn't there another way? I searched in all the settings but can't find a setting for that.
16th January 2020, 06:53 PM |#12039  
Moderator Committee Lead / RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / XDA Labs Contributor
Thanks Meter: 20,044

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburen

Maybe this is not the right topic, but i have the XDA 1.1.6b-play app on Android 10 and all works fine but i can only scroll one page in forums. If i want to go to another page i have to click on for example page 2/4 on top of the screen.
Isn't there another way? I searched in all the settings but can't find a setting for that.

You have to swipe left or right to change page. There are also buttons for first page and last page.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
16th January 2020, 07:15 PM |#12040  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Man

You have to swipe left or right to change page. There are also buttons for first page and last page.

Thanks, i didn't know this and didn't try either haha

Sent from my Samsung SM-G960F using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to rfburen For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rfburen Ad-Free
16th January 2020, 09:13 PM |#12041  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburen

Thanks, i didn't know this and didn't try either haha

The first time you browse the forums it actually tells you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.png
Views:	526
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	4928123  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blk_jack For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
xda app

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)