FORUMS

[OFFICIAL XDA][BETA][MAR 19]XDA Labs: Forum App + App Installer + Xposed Repo

3,305 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,448

By blk_jack, XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD on 5th November 2015, 09:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from blk_jack: Join us on IRC in #xda-labs on Freenode!
10th December 2016, 02:05 AM |#7031  
Thanks Meter: 419

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewander10

He's the "Smartphoneguru". I'm sure he knew how to change it. He was probably just testing us

I'm so great and I'm so clever. Never ever did I miss an option. Never ever did I ask a question which was easily answered by somebody else because I'm just so great and oh so clever. Never ever there was a question I could not answer myself because.. Guess why..
SCNR
10th December 2016, 02:29 AM |#7032  
Gotham
Thanks Meter: 477

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbencze

I meant to reply to your edit earlier. You actually cannot access the data partition without root..

Maybe not manually. But there are a number of apps that can make a backup of the apk without root. I've been using ES File Explorer to to make backups long before I even thought of rooting. So while the immediate deletion of the downloaded apk is a safety measure, its not going to be a deterrent to thieves. But at least Labs won't be responsible for those thefts
10th December 2016, 02:37 AM |#7033  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 11,007

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewander10

Maybe not manually. But there are a number of apps that can make a backup of the apk without root. I've been using ES File Explorer to to make backups long before I even thought of rooting. So while the immediate deletion of the downloaded apk is a safety measure, its not going to be a deterrent to thieves. But at least Labs won't be responsible for those thefts

Obviously there is always a way. But you get my point right? The whole point is if possible can it be nuked immediately so they gotta at least work for it. Labs can't control other things like you mentioned but if it can control this I would like this added to know they've got our back the best they can. Idk what is involved in the process of making it happen sadly.
10th December 2016, 02:56 AM |#7034  
Thanks Meter: 293

More
Quote:

Obviously there is always a way. But you get my point right? The whole point is if possible can it be nuked immediately so they gotta at least work for it. Labs can't control other things like you mentioned but if it can control this I would like this added to know they've got our back the best they can. Idk what is involved in the process of making it happen sadly.

I'd prefer to have a bit more time before it gets nuked. Think it like this, I personally only have acces to mobile data (3gb a month, so a bit stingy with data) if I download an app I want to install it. Now if try and install an app and realise I don't have space to install, I'll have to exit the install process and remove an app/clear space. Now if I where to come back to find that the downloaded app is not downloaded anymore (let's say in a space of a coupe of minutes) i my self would not personally re-download again as I've already had wasted the data for which was ment to be for the downloaded app.

So in my opinion a download needs at a least a minimum timeframe before getting nuked from my phone. Becuse if it isn't there then it will push me away from using that part of the app as I can't be sure that I ain't wasting data.

Hope you can see my point of view
10th December 2016, 03:15 AM |#7035  
OP XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 11,448

More
Quote:

Sorry but you're wrong. Scroll back through the last half a dozen pages. You can download the apk of any installed app, paid or not, without root. You can do it with adb shell, you can do it with a file browser. Try it yourself, go download FX on an unrooted phone and copy paid apps.
10th December 2016, 03:21 AM |#7036  
Flag Ottawa

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt07211

I'd prefer to have a bit more time before it gets nuked. Think it like this, I personally only have acces to mobile data (3gb a month, so a bit stingy with data) if I download an app I want to install it. Now if try and install an app and realise I don't have space to install, I'll have to exit the install process and remove an app/clear space. Now if I where to come back to find that the downloaded app is not downloaded anymore (let's say in a space of a coupe of minutes) i my self would not personally re-download again as I've already had wasted the data for which was ment to be for the downloaded app.

So in my opinion a download needs at a least a minimum timeframe before getting nuked from my phone. Becuse if it isn't there then it will push me away from using that part of the app as I can't be sure that I ain't wasting data.

Hope you can see my point of view

I absolutely can't see your point at all and it sounds like a cop out to be able to do exactly what I am concerned about. You don't get that with google play or other reputable app stores and i feel this should be standard protocol everywhere as a way to protect app developers as best they can.

Seriously who doesn't know how much space they have on their phone either. Sorry pal but I don't buy it. Protecting the people who contribute and supply siad apps should be paramount and trump your personal circumstances of limited data and memory capacity for which you claim to be a good enough reason to keep apps accessible.
Btw i survive using zero data at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-12-09-21-08-08.png
Views:	592
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	3963775  
10th December 2016, 03:29 AM |#7037  
Gotham
Thanks Meter: 477

More
Both @markbencze and @Matt07211 have good points. I guess its up to @blk_jack to make the compromises and find the middle ground. May the force be with you 🖖
10th December 2016, 03:51 AM |#7038  
Flag Ottawa

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_jack

Sorry but you're wrong. Scroll back through the last half a dozen pages. You can download the apk of any installed app, paid or not, without root. You can do it with adb shell, you can do it with a file browser. Try it yourself, go download FX on an unrooted phone and copy paid apps.

Wow that's actually crazy. I know about adb but i am surprised that app can do that. Personally I've always just used root explorer and with that you can't access data. And tbh i never go into data and try to pull apps. Never been a need.

Anyway the whole point that everyone seems to be missing is that if leaving an apk sitting in a super easy to access folder we are making things too easy for people. Idk man i don't think I'm being unreasonable am i? To be clear i understand there are ways for people to get apps but a lot of users don't know how to (myself somewhat included because I've never tried!) So are we going to leave it for them or are we going to make it so we do our best to help out the app developers and if people want to steal it then they'll have to do it some other way?

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Ok so I'm not going to further debate ways people can steal or copy apps because that's not the question and we could go back and forth all day on that.
I just want a straight answer on whether this is possible to do or are you guys unsure if it is possible?
If it is possible are were going to have the paid apks deleted right away or are we going to leave them there and what happens, happens? I think it's quite clear where I stand on serving apks on a silver platter for people but it's not my call.
The Following User Says Thank You to Negan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Negan Ad-Free
10th December 2016, 04:17 AM |#7039  
Thanks Meter: 293

More
Quote:

I absolutely can't see your point at all and it sounds like a cop out to be able to do exactly what I am concerned about. You don't get that with google play or other reputable app stores and i feel this should be standard protocol everywhere as a way to protect app developers as best they can.

Seriously who doesn't know how much space they have on their phone either. Sorry pal but I don't buy it. Protecting the people who contribute and supply siad apps should be paramount and trump your personal circumstances of limited data and memory capacity for which you claim to be a good enough reason to keep apps accessible.
Btw i survive using zero data at all.

Sorry dude, not everyone has access to WiFi (Including me) and the only way they can access the internet is via their mobile data.

The difference between Google play and XDA Labs is when you try and download an app and you don't have any space, the playstore warns you and doesn't download, XDA labs does not. So a 20 - 30 minute timeframe

Also gotta keep in mind not everyone has has high-end phone with a lot of space, people do own low-mid range phone which has a very small storage sizes.
On my previous android phone I had only 153mb for app install and 1tv General storage avaible, with Google services installed I was usually left with 90mb for app installs so I used allways get the warning of low storage.

What I'm trying to get at is not everyone has the same circumstances as you so a space of 20 - 30 mins before an app gets nuked is a good thing. I hope you realise that.

And if a user grabed a copy of a paid app (they would have already have to payed for it to get it) in the current hour time frame then the blame lands on them, XDA Labs is not a NANNY app making sure users abide by rules. Does having the one hour time frame make it easier to rip off developers, No, as mentioned their is a lot of easy ways to grab a copy of the apk off the phone, both with and without root avaible.
The only thing this change would do is make users of low end phones be at more of a disadvantage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt07211 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Matt07211 Ad-Free
10th December 2016, 03:29 PM |#7040  
Moderator Committee Lead / RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / XDA Labs Contributor
Thanks Meter: 20,876

More
My opinion:

I tend to agree with @markbencze. Nuking immediately downloaded apks would be better to limit a bit pirating possibilities. We all know there are a lot other ways, no need to add one more.

My question to @blk_jack is: Is there a real reason to keep those apks in that folder with the current XDA labs functionning? Is it intentionnal? If not could it be possible to nuke them just after installation? Btw, I do have in mind there is still the following thing quoted from you which is still unavoidable:
"The user could still just sit at the installation screen and copy the apk during that timeframe."

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

And about people with limited mobile data plan, maybe they could pay attention to their available memory space before downloading an app?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
10th December 2016, 07:18 PM |#7041  
@Wood Man

Was going to pm you this to test it but think I'll leave it here for EVERYONE that wanted a black version of labs. Plus this thread needs a tension relief atm.

Thanks to @FullWipe for making our black labs version. Now go get it, whoever wants it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...5/post70021099

Enjoy,
Bajanman

Sent from my SM-N930F using XDA Labs
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bajanman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bajanman Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
xda app

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)