FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][5.1+] GCA Launcher

1,481 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,938

Post Reply Email Thread
Being a fan of Chromium OS and a passion for developing new and interesting things, I decided to build a launcher inspired by chromium os, based on Material Components.

GCA or GO Custom Android Launcher is a pixel design inspired launcher with core component features from chromium OS desktop. Its designed and built for Android Go but also offers new devices a fresh and new experience for your homescreen.

Supporting Android 5.x+, GCA offers a single screen launcher replacement app for android users who want a pixel lite experience. Alot of the offered features come from my other launcher, Sapphyx Launcher, and rebuilt to be faster, lighter and ultimately offer a better experience in a small package. It runs beautifully on Android Go, smooth on devices with Android 5 (Like the Kindle Fires) and offers a theme engine that's customizeable by the user.

GCA features are dependant on what Google Apps are installed that depend on an action, whether Google services is installed or not and specific apps that are installed (Action Dash for Dash System Shortcut)

Core Features
-A single screen setup (no grid, one widget).
-A customizeable App Drawer with multi-purpose search.
-The App Drawer features apps with system shortcuts and app shortcuts and allows users to blacklist apps.
-App Drawer supports a secondary "Work" tab to help organize apps in a better fassion.
-App Shortcuts generate a list of selectable app shortcuts in a vertical menu of the app popup.
-Recent Apps
-Easy to use launcher customization
-Pixel/Chromium desktop like Cosmetics
-Launcher uses my wallpaper app, Drywall, as default wallpaper provider. If its not installed, fallback on user selected.
-Notification Badges and Underlining. Clicking on the app will dismiss. Is not supported on Android Go unless activated by OEM.
-Adaptive Icons
-Icon Packs

Adaptive Icons
-GCA Launcher uses James Fenn's adaptive icon view library. The code itself was inspired by lawnchair's backport of adaptive icons for pre oreo devices. It pulls v26 icon assets for foregrounds and backgrounds and relayers them as an adaptive icon view which behave similar to pixel launchers adaptive icons. How you choose to use them will affect performance of the launcher and should be chosen dependant of how capable your device is. Users can select which shape of adaptive icon path they want to use. This will also apply itself to app actions, predictions and app drawer button.

There are 3 options of icons you may use for your drawer.
Pixel Adaptive - will try and generate adaptive icons based on the assets gathered by the icon and created by the system, this will slow down your app drawer depending on your hardware. (Not recommended for Android Go, Does not support icon packs)
Palette Adaptive - will disregard any assets available from the icon and simply scale the icon drawable as foreground and apply the dominant color of the icon for the background drawable (Faster than pixel adaptive, supports icon packs)
Normal Icons - normal default icon behavior and style

What's Not Working / WIP
-Icon Packs that generate their own icons like Icon Pack Studio may cause crashes, please don't use them. Icon Packs developed with BluePrint library are recommended.
-If external data usage permission is denied on first start, homescreen scrim will not be available or work correctly. Homescreen scrim will set to default white if using a live wallpaper.
-GCA is setup to change available features based on Android OS, if you notice something that may not be correct or crashes, let me know. This is your only paywall.
-Android 5.X support is limited but work in progress. Cosmetics and style need updated but it is functional. Please report back any inconveniences and crashes.
-Android 10 support has been added but we are monitoring performance and compatibility.
-Adaptive Shape Views and Adaptive Icon performance may vary on devices.

Changelog
-A detailed changelog can be found in the application settings. It is written in html so translation is your responsibility, html can be copied.

Donations
/ Pledges
-Yearly pledges have been implemented in the app. You are not obligated for any reason to purchase these but if you want regular updates, its recommended. Pledges keep the project alive and a few cups of coffee or a beer is sent my way (depending on time of day).

Downloads

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...calsd.symphlyx

Xda Labs: https://labs.xda-developers.com/stor...calsd.symphlyx

Telegram: Support channel can be found in the app settings

Bug Reports / Request
Please use the telegram channel or xda forums for bug reports and request. Do not use the Google Play ratings as a place for this stuff.

While making request, take into consideration how itl affect performance. We are keeping Android Go as our target OS. If itl consume memory or increase size massively , im not interested. We are aiming to keep customization minimal and the launcher simple but their could be different ways to approach currently implemented features, and id love to hear your ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screener_1565501632131.jpg
Views:	5692
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	4804474   Click image for larger version

Name:	screener_1565501645960.jpg
Views:	5704
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	4804475   Click image for larger version

Name:	screener_1565501707546.png
Views:	5530
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	4804476   Click image for larger version

Name:	screener_1565501747285.png
Views:	5254
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	4804477  
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free

3rd March 2019, 03:36 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Android Go Nokia 1 performance demonstration
Nokia 1 and Essential Phone performance comparison
Quick Preview of Symphlyx (Latest build)
8/11/19

Il be uploading a new video soon comparing performance on a variety of devices using Symphlyx Official
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
5th March 2019, 01:11 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Previously known as Symphlyx Launcher
6th March 2019, 10:53 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
A couple of things im working on for the next update. I will have the widgets operational to an extent with what time il have available before i want to release a new update.

The icon pack preference chooser has been replaced with a newer implementation based on what I use in Sapphyx Launcher. A list of icon packs are generated and clicking on it will ask you to apply it manually. A default option is present to revert back to normal stoxk icons and a playstore option was added to search for icon packs. Much faster and neater.

A new popup action is being added to dismiss pending app notification underlining just incase you had navigated to the specific app through another window than the drawer, the notification would not have been dismissed properly. This action only shows when the notification count for that appnis greater than one.

Il be working on lowering the sdk requirement soon as well. Id like to see this launcher make its way on my modified Kindle fire which are locked to Android 5.X

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using XDA Labs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190306-150515.jpg
Views:	1404
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	4718101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190306-151556.jpg
Views:	1392
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	4718102  
The Following User Says Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
7th March 2019, 12:36 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I downloaded it and put it through the paces. I like how clean it is and I think you could be on to something. Will look forward to further development. Good job. 👍
The Following User Says Thank You to MadsMann For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MadsMann Ad-Free
7th March 2019, 01:04 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsMann

I downloaded it and put it through the paces. I like how clean it is and I think you could be on to something. Will look forward to further development. Good job. 👍

Good to hear!

9th March 2019, 06:45 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Hoping to have a new update published tomorrow night. A preview of what's being worked on.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190309-014021.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	4719583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190309-014034.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	4719584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190309-014042.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	4719585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190309-014111.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	4719586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190308-190834.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	4719587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190308-190851.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	4719588  
The Following User Says Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
9th March 2019, 06:40 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
New update today, now available on xda labs!

Changes
-Added experimental support for SDK 21 (Any devices with android 5.x are now able to install Symphlyx. Needs alot of work but its useable)
-Added Dismiss popup action for Android 5.x (Clicking outside of bounds on popup will not dismiss menu)
-Improved general performance and optimization for Android Go
-Added ability to dismiss notification underlining
-Added functional reminder widget
-Added semi function Heads Up widget (Previously known as generic At A Glance. Will behave differently on different OS's. Working on a weather provider atm but clicking on weather will ooen google weather. Heads up strings display differnet things on every quarter of the day.)
-Recent Apps now functional (Uses a position and click count logic. Recent apps hold 5 recent apps. The drawer monitors a click count up to 5. Every count is registered to a position and saves the action and icon on that click for the position in recent apps. If that action is already saved in a position, the click data is ignored but the count is consumed.)
-Added the ability to clear search results. Clicking the back button when the drawer is open will dismiss it but if search results are present, it will clear the search results focus first.
-Improved icon pack support and the chooser settings
-Increased homescreen scrim and All Apps button height position
-Fixed an issue where Sensey listener would be killed if the background process was killed by android os. This would make navigating to your apps or settings impossible.

And a few more chnages, check the changelog for a full list of changes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
13th March 2019, 05:37 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Currently working on a large update for Sapphyx Launcher atm so please leave some feedback on what could be improved, what you'd like to see, how the launcher performs on your device, etc while i take a break on this project to let it simmer.

29th March 2019, 03:29 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Currently finishing things up with Sapphyx Launcher development but a whole lot of changes are expected to be merged in with Symphlyx launcher in the coming future.

8th May 2019, 05:36 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
It's been kinda quiet around here. I present a preview of the new popup menu we've been working on.

An update is expected to drop in June. Rebuilding alot of everything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190506_140619_472.jpg
Views:	2044
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	4755241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190506_140623_070.jpg
Views:	2026
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	4755242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190506_140626_513.jpg
Views:	2018
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	4755243  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)