FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][5.1+] GCA Launcher (Chromium os inspired launcher)

1,497 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,960

Post Reply Email Thread
22nd September 2019, 04:43 PM |#91  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Details on release 1.1
-New Hidden developer mode. Developer mode will contain options that may help me track issues in the launcher or just experimental features not considered reliable. I trust regular users wouldn't find this area useful. Developer mode also has a new Shape Override options for custom aosp roms. This option doesn't work on heavily skinned roms like Samsung one ui, miui or even Pixel device theme engine.
-Searchbar will change shape based on icon shape chosen in Icon Pack activity
-Pill drag handle now properly themes itself
-Icon sizes have been increased by 10 dp. I will be looking at a icon size modifier here soon.
-The icon pack activity has been revised to allow real time preview of icon changes. This also includes a text size editor I'm still testing
-The Launcher theme engine has been slightly tweeked to be more precise and accurate when theming the Shelf, Material Drawer, App Drawer and System UI.
-TabTitleStrip for Work Tab has been replaced with a Material Design TabLayout with new theme enhancements.
-Safe drag zones have been added to allow better app drawer dragging (new divider added as a drag zone)
-Popup menu rebuilt to be user friendly. The new popup menu is bigger, faster and smarter. It will prioritize app shortcuts, actions and preview priority notifications for users. Click events have been revisited to reaxt to popup menus and be timed to be active or not before the window is dismissed. This new menu also brings the possibility of custom shortcuts to be made for pre Naugat devices in the future.
-Many fixes have been implemented, found by the user base on release
-Flashback is a new window that keeps record of ota notifications and alerts for GCA powered by Firebase
-Added extra controls over notifications dependant of the OS
-Added toggle to remember app drawer position
-Long clicking an app shortcut will add it to the Predictive Action holder now
-Notification underlining revised for several syncing issues (still not 100%)
-Shelf icons now match app drawer
-Started implementing Shelf Favorites drag repositioning (can drag favorites to new position side to side but will not remember the position as of now)
And under the hood maintenance

The launcher will crash for users receiving the update. To fix this, simply reset the data of the app from the android settings or reinstall from the app store. This was due to me rewriting the launcher database. This was needed for backup and restore in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
22nd September 2019, 06:19 PM |#92  
Thanks Meter: 1,127

More
Unfortunately I've ran into huge problems after installing the new update (fresh install from G Play)

Touching any icon in the app draw doesn't open the app I'm wanting to open, it opens something else.

My last app in my app draw is XDA labs and touching that opens Google photos, as well as the other three apps at the bottom.

Every app in the app draw is the same, the icon I press is not opening the app I want, it's opening other apps two or three places in the app draw away from the one I press (does that make sense?)

Tested on Honor 7s (Oreo 8.1 with EMUI 8.0) and Nokia 1 plus on pie go edition.

Sorry for the bad feedback
22nd September 2019, 06:58 PM |#93  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1601

Unfortunately I've ran into huge problems after installing the new update (fresh install from G Play)

Touching any icon in the app draw doesn't open the app I'm wanting to open, it opens something else.

My last app in my app draw is XDA labs and touching that opens Google photos, as well as the other three apps at the bottom.

Every app in the app draw is the same, the icon I press is not opening the app I want, it's opening other apps two or three places in the app draw away from the one I press (does that make sense?)

Tested on Honor 7s (Oreo 8.1 with EMUI 8.0) and Nokia 1 plus on pie go edition.

Sorry for the bad feedback

That's not supposed to happen... Try uninstalling the app and reinstalling
22nd September 2019, 07:01 PM |#94  
Thanks Meter: 1,127

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nx Biotic

That's not supposed to happen... Try uninstalling the app and reinstalling

After a reboot it worked ok and then did it again.

Now uninstalled and reinstalled and is now working as it should.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubba1601 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bubba1601 Ad-Free
22nd September 2019, 07:25 PM |#95  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1601

After a reboot it worked ok and then did it again.

Now uninstalled and reinstalled and is now working as it should.

Yeah, i upgraded the launcher data base so it was either going to crash or do what it did to you. This was a sacrifice i needed todo to make a quality of life enhancement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
24th September 2019, 06:20 PM |#96  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Im aware the search functionality blows in GCA launcher right now. Ive never really delt with anything needing and/or requiring a search functionality to be built from scratch so it's a learning process at the moment.

Search is being rebuilt into 2 seperate areas similar to how chrome os works. Im going to work on a standalone search window that will search the web, app store and recently used apps and actions that will be accessible on the homescreen beside having just a search for your apps in the drawer.

Right now, its laggy and not dependable as i want it to be. I will probably focus on this for the next major update. I've been pushing alot of hotfix updates lately and these are just little important things i missed that needed attention rather quickly.

Thankyou for supporting and pledging. Cheers!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
28th September 2019, 02:39 AM |#97  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Moving some things around for the next update and cleaning up the interface
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190927_173310_512.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	4829811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190927_173312_502.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	4829813  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
1st October 2019, 07:23 AM |#98  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Revising the searchbar behavior for the next uodate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image-982414.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	4832485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190930_133429_622.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	4832487  
2nd October 2019, 10:52 PM |#99  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
So an update for everyone since everyone is curious of what's next in GCA. The focus right now is performance and reliability. I'm working on Of course the new search interface separating app search and internet search. Eventually, id love to integrate global search but we are a ways out on that. I'm still designing and Polishing the search interface and will of course get feedback on you guys once it rolls out and i can design it better for how we use it. Internet search will be triggered by tapping the shelf searchbar. The Shelf searchbar will also have a trigger for left and right swipe gestures. The desktop will have more gestures at your disposal for app shortcuts (i will add actions for hardware probably in the future like double tap to sleep, flashlight, ect). App search is garbage atm as we can all agree so I'm doing 2 things for this. I'm building a custom view to handle Apps in the Drawer, Recents and Shelf Favorites. Instead of the drawer handling multiple views and deciding what sizes they are, what icons they get and mask, I'm making the custom view handle that while the drawer is just responsible to spit out the custom view which should make things smoother and faster. Instead of the list asking the adapter (I need an icon, title, volor, shape, drawable, textsize, text style, app icon size, etc), I'll be asking it to present a title, icon and color with the main view. Launcher3 (Pixel Launcher) uses a similar method. That launcher uses a custom view called a Bubbletextview which is just a heavily modified text to show themed icons above the app titles respective to screen size and themes by the os. I have created a similar view which is responsible for the same actions but a tad different. Just built for what we need it to do. App search will be rebuilt against this new view so it operates the way we want it to and that is to work. Once Gestures, search and this new view is completed, I'll publish the update which this could take at the most to finish 2 weeks.

The feedback the user base have sent my way has been very helpful and with each update,I'm trying to prioritize bug fixes and feature request. My free time to code is starting to be limited as I get older but all i can ask is patience and that effort to inform me of new ideas and possibilities for this project.
8th October 2019, 03:10 AM |#100  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Testing out the new build on my essential. I have some finalization prep for gesture control and than it should be ready for a release
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191007_220738_421.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	4838103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191007_220739_924.jpg
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	4838105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191007_220741_925.jpg
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	4838107  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nx Biotic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nx Biotic Ad-Free
11th October 2019, 03:21 AM |#101  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Decided to test the new build of GCA on my Nokia 1 android Go Phone. As you can see, their are problems. The icon sizes are set to minimal and text aize is set to normal but the results are unbearable so its back to the drawing boards for awhile. Might delay the release by some time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191010_162000.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	4840741  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)