FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Launcher3 with Pixel Launcher features

56 posts
Thanks Meter: 185

Post Reply Email Thread
Last updated: August 25th, version 2.1
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...d_on_aosp_800/

A comment on my Reddit thread told me to submit this on XDA, so I will also post this here and provide support for those who know how to give me proper logs of their problems.

The official Pixel Launcher has a lot of exclusive features like the Google Now panel and G Search Pill that only work while it is running as a system app. When regular users install the APK file they get a gimped version of the app that refuses to give them these features. However, after seeing the ParanoidAndroid commits to get the Google Now panel working I realized these were not limitations of being installed as a normal app, instead Google intentionally made it work this way, most probably to keep the features exclusive to the Pixel phones as a selling point like HDR+.

So, I set out to learn about AOSP's Launcher3 and Pixel Launcher. I decompiled the Pixel Launcher's apk and spent many days glued to my screen trying to import the code into Launcher3. Along the way I found that a great developer who calls himself DeleteScape was also working on this, so I PM'ed him on Telegram and he shared some of his findings with me. I used part of his deobfuscated code and it helped immensely in doing this. Shout-out to his LawnChair, whose source is available here: https://github.com/Deletescape-Media/Lawnchair

One of the limitations so far is that the app needs to have the same package name as the Pixel Launcher or else it isn't able to use the Pixel's weather widget. This will mean the well-known launchers like Nova will most probably not use it, because that would mean they could not publish on the Play Store anymore.

The A-B tests and the microphone icon are not included, so what you see is what you get. There are no toggles for any of the features. Here is a gif of the launcher in action: https://giphy.com/gifs/3oKIPu10p9eLoRc3Kw

These are all the changes into a few simple commits for other Launcher3-based launchers to import: https://github.com/amirzaidi/Launcher3/commits/master

What is working
Google Now page
G Pill animation
Google's weather widget next to the G Pill (enable location and refresh Google Now to make it show up)
Swipe up everywhere to open the app drawer
Date widget with correct format for all Launcher3-supported languages
Pixel accent colours on any device
Update Google Calendar app icon with the date
Remove Voice Search and Wallpapers from app drawer
Use the Wallpapers app when available to select the wallpaper

The latest release can always be found here: https://github.com/amirzaidi/Launcher3/releases

Anyone who wants to is free to fork my project and release his/her own version, as long as they either keep their own git open for others to see the commit history, OR provide me credits in their closed source release logs.

Top requested features I will probably not implement: dark mode, swipe down for notifications and icon pack support. Why? They are not in Launcher3 or Pixel Launcher.

READ BEFORE POSTING ERROR LOGS

If the app does not install, ensure you have deleted the official Pixel Launcher from your device. If it crashes and you are on a Samsung device, disable Secure Folder and try again.
The Following 111 Users Say Thank You to azaidi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift azaidi Ad-Free

13th June 2017, 01:21 AM |#2  
News Writer
Thanks Meter: 616

More
Glad to see you posting on XDA!

If you have time, can you submit your app to XDA Labs? Just log-in here: https://labs.xda-developers.com/

with your XDA account and add a new app.

This way users who install your launcher won't have to manually check Github for new updates as long as you upload new builds to Labs!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MishaalRahman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MishaalRahman Ad-Free
13th June 2017, 01:23 PM |#3  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 141

More
Nice!
13th June 2017, 01:39 PM |#4  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Just tried this on my OnePlus 3 and I can confirm that it works amazingly fast! Thanks for all the hard work. Cheers!
13th June 2017, 02:26 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 253

More
working very well on Lg G5
13th June 2017, 02:38 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
cursor bug
large cursor when typing to search apps in app drawer. on miui8
13th June 2017, 09:41 PM |#7  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I am having issues installing this on a Nexus 6P with the latest Android O developer preview installed. Installation progress bar freezes at about the 90% mark and the installation fails. Has anyone been able to successfully install this on a device running the O developer preview?

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedway

I am having issues installing this on a Nexus 6P with the latest Android O developer preview installed. Installation progress bar freezes at about the 90% mark and the installation fails. Has anyone been able to successfully install this on a device running the O developer preview?

Ended up wiping and starting fresh with the O developer preview. After doing so, Launcher3 installed without issue. Is there any way to get the Pixel icons working with this? I downloaded the Pixel icons for 7.1.2 from apk mirror, but it doesn't seem to have taken. Thanks.
13th June 2017, 11:18 PM |#8  
Flag Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 177

Donate to Me
More
Working great on LG Aristo, Suggestion: icon pack support.
The Following User Says Thank You to KyleBryant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KyleBryant Ad-Free
14th June 2017, 02:59 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Please either add pixel icons or icon pack support. Would make this the best launcher ever!!!
14th June 2017, 03:18 AM |#10  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Its like dream come true for me... using it on my Galaxy S8... But I have two requests and an issue:

1. could your please support pixel exclusive automatic round icons for supported apps... it is possible as Action Launcher 3 has this feature with Round Icon Option on non rooted phone.

2. Is it possible to overwrite app closing animation like stock android (slide down). this feature is available in Nova Launcher through "Reveal App Animation". I don't like the default zoom out closing app animation of my Galaxy S8.

3. Check the screenshot: the Navigation bar color is muted .. not white .. gray color.. this is related to Poor Samsung design... Nova launcher has fixed the issue... But each and every other 3rd party launcher has same problem.. kindly look into the matter..! Thanks..

[Screenshot of Galaxy S8 muted color navigation bar..!](http://i.imgur.com/NF8JcFh.png)

Thank you.... Much appreciated work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NF8JcFh.jpg
Views:	6576
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	4181013  
14th June 2017, 05:03 AM |#11  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 522

More
Thanks for share.. keep the good work continues..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
open source, pixel launcher

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)