FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][4.3+][ROOT][2016.12.10] LiveBoot (Logcat/Dmesg Boot Animation) v1.50

10,819 posts
Thanks Meter: 81,032

By Chainfire, XDA Ad-Free Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 17th December 2014, 06:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Que ?

LiveBoot is a boot animation that shows you logcat and dmesg outputs on-screen as they happen. Output configuration includes logcat level, buffer and format selection; whether to show dmesg; the amount of lines that should fit on your screen, whether word-wrap should be employed, and if output should be color-coded. Additionally the background can be set to transparent to overlay the existing boot animation, which looks awesome during boot.

A feature is built-in to test your current configuration without rebooting. The lines shown in test mode may be limited and relatively static, this does not reflect exact boot time behavior as much as it just shows you that it works and how big the text will be.

Note that LiveBoot will only show up after the data partition is mounted. If you need to enter a decryption key or pattern at boot, it will not show up until you have done so.

Root

This app does not only require root, it requires specifically SuperSU version 2.40 or newer, due to how the boot-time code is launched. Alternatively, the app will try to function for otherwise rooted firmwares that support init.d, but this is not officially supported and it cannot be guaranteed to work.

Compatibility

Officially the app supports 4.3+ and newer, but really it is aimed at 5.0 and newer firmwares. Regardless of version, the app may work on your device or it may not. I've gotten it to work on a bunch of my own devices on various firmwares, but not on all. Even if the test run functionality works, this does not necessarily mean it will actually work during boot. It usually does, but not always.

This does indeed also mean I cannot guarantee continued operation - even if it works for you today, it may fail your next firmware update. If that is an issue for you, then you should definitely not update to Pro.

The risk of bootloops is extremely low, but not completely non-existent. Should a bootloop occur, removing either the app's APK or /system/su.d/0000liveboot through recovery should fix the problem.

Unless you are using SuperSU in system-less mode, the app writes to /system, as such your firmware must allow this. There is no recovery-based install option at this time.

Pro

There's an in-app purchase to upgrade to Pro, which supports my developments, and unlocks the transparency option as well as logcat buffer and format selection.

Of course, if you have one of the paid variants of the old live logcat or live dmesg boot animations from all those years ago installed, this will also enable Pro mode.

Like some of my other apps these days, if you don't have Google Play but still managed to install the APK, this will also enable Pro mode.

Last but not least, if you simply don't want to pay for it, there's also a button to enable Pro mode (the 'freeload' option)

Script

If /system/su.d/0000liveboot.script or /su/su.d/0000liveboot.script exists (chmod 0644, not 0700 like other files in /system/su.d/ or /su/su.d/ !), this script will be run instead of logcat and dmesg, and its output will be shown in white (stdout) and red (stderr).

Download

Google Play

or see attachment below

Screenshots
(1.14: 7646; 1.20: 5826; 1.30: 3999; 1.40: 1512)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-nexus9-app-1.png
Views:	36666
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	3069019   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-nexus9-live-1.jpg
Views:	37778
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	3069020  
Attached Files
File Type: apk LiveBoot-v1.50-20161220185810.apk - [Click for QR Code] (83.9 KB, 2108 views)
The Following 255 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]

17th December 2014, 06:25 PM |#2  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?

Donate to Me
More

Why ?

I always liked the old logcat and dmesg boot animations on 2.x. Unfortunately the code doesn't port well to newer Android versions. They were starting to cause more issues for users than they were provide coolness, so I pulled them from Play (together with a number of other apps) some time ago.

While working on the next generation of Mobile ODIN, I've started using some techniques that I realized could be used to bring this back. Aside from being as cool as it is, this app actually serves as a testbed for these techniques.

Tech

The code is launched by a daemonsu bootscript immediately after /data is available. It then pulls an overlay surface from SurfaceFlinger through native code. It proceeds by running Java code that spins threads that catch logcat / dmesg / script output with libsuperuser. That output is then rendered by the Java code with OpenGL to the surface and shown on-screen.
The Following 59 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th December 2014, 06:25 PM |#3  

Donate to Me
More
Changelogs
2016-12-20 - v1.50
- S7@Nougat: stop animation when Android is up
- (C) 2017

2016-10.30 - v1.40
- Android N 7.1 file-based-encryption support

2016-05-19 - v1.30
- Android N Preview 3 support

2015-10-30 - v1.20
- Android 6.0 support

2015-01-03 - v1.14
- Force remove old boot scripts before placing new one
- Added another watchdog to prevent the animation from never quitting
- (C) 2015
- Note: some devices need SuperSU v2.42 or newer to work

2014-12-21 - v1.13 - BETA
- Use alternative shell if default not available (fx HTC One m7, m8)
- Workaround b/7188322 hack (fx Shield Tablet)
- Fixed minor script issues

2014-12-20 - v1.12
- ProGuard (reduce APK size)

2014.12.20 - v1.11 - BETA
- Added option to disable logcat color coding
- Another possible fix for premature exit

2014.12.20 - v1.10 - BETA - RELEASE NOTES
- Possible fix for only showing for two seconds during boot on some devices
- Fixed some typos
- Made logcat buffers configurable (pro)
- Made logcat format configurable (pro)
- Made word wrap configurable
- Added option to darken the background
- Added option to save logs
- Added reboot option

- Added capability to use init.d if not using SuperSU, but this is not officially supported. It might make the app work on more firmwares, but it should be noted that init.d behavior differs between firmwares, and unlike su.d provided by SuperSU, no guarantees are made as to the state of the /data partition or SELinux policies when init.d scripts execute. Therefor it is impossible to officially support - it might work, it might not, and this will differ between firmwares.

2014.12.18 - v1.05
- Fixed number of lines being interpreted as hexadecimal
- Fixed various load and display issues on 4.3 and 4.4

2014.12.17 - v1.00
- Initial release
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th December 2014, 06:30 PM |#4  
Flag Largo
Thanks Meter: 1,811

Donate to Me
More
Looks Promising.
17th December 2014, 09:06 PM |#5  
Flag The Borders
Thanks Meter: 2,994

Donate to Me
More
Have just installed on my Nexus 4 android 4.4.4 supersu 2.40 and I cannot get it to run, when I reboot the device I get my normal boot animation,also I do have a pro licence for the old livelogcat but do not have it installed,how to get the app to recognise pro features?
Will try and install again and see if that helps getting it to run

Update: installed again and the app asks to install the script,seems successful but again on reboot no live logcat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bombadier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bombadier Ad-Free
17th December 2014, 09:25 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Nexus 7 2013 WiFi Android 5.0.1: works perfectly
Nexus 5 Android 4.4.4: test mode works fine, but during boot there is only the standard animation no dmesg/logcat display
SuperSU 2.40 on both devices, rooted vanilla Android
17th December 2014, 09:30 PM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quite likely SELinux interfering.

Does the "test run" do anything? If not, get me logs, if it does, get me the log but immediately after boot:

Code:
adb wait-for-device
adb shell su -c logcat -d > logcat.txt
adb shell su -c dmesg > dmesg.txt
adb shell su -c cat /data/misc/audit/audit.log > audit.txt
Attach those three files. Those may shed some light on the issue. Unfortunately, often the information I need has already left the logcat and dmesg buffers before your PC can pull them. There's actually a lot more chance of this working on 4.3 and 5.0 than 4.4. Fixing this for 4.4 - especially for device which have 5.0 available - is not a high priority for me.

As for the paid version of the old, it should still be possible to pull them from Play somehow if you've paid for it in the past. Or so they say, I can't test this myself since all my own purchases automatically get refunded after a month because I'm the account owner. Perhaps under "My Apps" somewhere?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th December 2014, 09:49 PM |#8  
Flag The Borders
Thanks Meter: 2,994

Donate to Me
More
@Chainfire
See the 3 logs (audit.txt outputed an error: tmp-mksh: cat: /data/misc/audit/audit.log: No such file or directory)
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jg&usp=sharing

About the pro thing, I thought you had pulled it from the playstore as when I searched for it I couldn't find it,followed the link in the xda thread and found it so thats that sorted thanks,hope there is something useful in the logs cheers
Oh yeah test run works
Just tried setting SELinux to permissive and no joy
The Following User Says Thank You to bombadier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bombadier Ad-Free
17th December 2014, 10:07 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Riding my Bike
Thanks Meter: 9,423

Donate to Me
More
Test run works well!

Sent from my Terminus AOSP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418853991486.jpg
Views:	4376
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	3069302   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1418854010644.png
Views:	4258
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	3069305  
The Following User Says Thank You to lichti1901 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lichti1901 Ad-Free
17th December 2014, 10:11 PM |#10  
Flag Lecco
Thanks Meter: 1,190

More
All fine on Mako CM12 unofficial.
The Following User Says Thank You to robygt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift robygt Ad-Free
17th December 2014, 10:16 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag 43.7031 - 7.2661
Thanks Meter: 7,087

More
work on I9100 with OMNI LP 5.0.2
Hi,
tried on I9100 , Omni Rom 4.4, DorimanX kernel.

"test run" not working here. script is installed on /system/ like you said but with 0700, i change to 0644 to try too but no success.

i have tmp-mksh: cat: /data/misc/audit/audit.log: No such file or directory error too

other logs :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...ms&usp=sharing

(i used putty instead of adb to get logs)
thanks.

hi,
10 days after, little review with LiveBoot working on S2 I9100 with OmniRom 5.0 HOMEMADE from @asimovi and Apolo kernel from @pedestre
ROM : http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...emade-t2948401

thanks @Chainfire
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)