20,451 posts
Thanks Meter: 42,649

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 03:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd December 2019, 09:04 PM |#10841  
OP Recognized Developer

More
@gc01 Actalis seems to be the only one offering free S/MIME certificates currently, see also here:

https://davidroessli.com/logs/2019/0...cates-in-2019/

After quite some effort, there is now a working S/MIME encryption proof of concept!
It will take some time to make this production ready because FairEmail needs to manage public keys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd December 2019, 09:07 PM |#10842  
Thanks Meter: 128

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

@gc01 Actalis seems to be the only one offering free S/MIME certificates currently

After quite some effort, there is now a working S/MIME encryption proof of concept!
It will take some time to make this production ready because FairEmail needs to manage public keys.

Yeh they are the last ones I found as well ... congrats on getting s/mime working ... a good addition to FE for sure.
4th December 2019, 08:55 AM |#10843  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Somebody contacted me with the problem that FairEmail says that the storage access framework is not present on a OnePlus/OxygenOS when trying to export the settings.

Is there somebody here with a OnePlus willing to check this?
4th December 2019, 09:07 AM |#10844  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
My OnePlus 6T with Oxygen OS 9 works fine.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to Elektron60 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Elektron60 Ad-Free
4th December 2019, 09:31 AM |#10845  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron60

My OnePlus 6T with Oxygen OS 9 works fine.

Just to be sure: you can export your settings and select attachments?
Is there maybe a setting for this in Oxygen OS?
4th December 2019, 11:34 AM |#10846  
Flag Boulay in Frankreich :D
Thanks Meter: 615

More
Quote:

Just to be sure: you can export your settings and select attachments?

Is there maybe a setting for this in Oxygen OS?

Both worked. I have a OnePlus 5 with OOS 9.0.9.

Never allowed or choosen an option for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to BreckZeBoulay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BreckZeBoulay Ad-Free
4th December 2019, 12:45 PM |#10847  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Disabling account connections temporarily
Can I have an account enabled without FairEmail trying to connect to the server? I want still to be able to read its messages but the server is not available from some networks I use and that generates annoying errors and delays. Nothing in it is selected for automatic sync so why does the app try to connect even when there are no pending operations? Have I set it up wrong?

If I could tell the app not to try connecting for pending operations, that would be a bonus but I can live with out that.

Great app. I hope it is simply that I have it misconfigured.
4th December 2019, 12:49 PM |#10848  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleffy

Can I have an account enabled without FairEmail trying to connect to the server? I want still to be able to read its messages but the server is not available from some networks I use and that generates annoying errors and delays. Nothing in it is selected for automatic sync so why does the app try to connect even when there are no pending operations? Have I set it up wrong?

If I could tell the app not to try connecting for pending operations, that would be a bonus but I can live with out that.

Great app. I hope it is simply that I have it misconfigured.

FairEmail will always try to connect to the email server for enabled accounts if always sync is enabled in the receive settings, so you'll want to disable this.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2019, 02:05 PM |#10849  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

FairEmail will always try to connect to the email server for enabled accounts if always sync is enabled in the receive settings, so you'll want to disable this.

I already had the top toggle switched off but I have now tried setting the next drop down to "Every 8 hours" too. I cannot see a "Never" option. No change. Attempting to "synchronise now" or pull down to refresh a folder on another account still shows connection attempts to all accounts in the log and it seems to wait for the connection attempt to timeout before synchronising the requested folder. Is there something else I could have set wrong? Is there any way to make FairEmail log its reason for connecting to that account?
4th December 2019, 02:07 PM |#10850  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleffy

I already had the top toggle switched off but I have now tried setting the next drop down to "Every 8 hours" too. I cannot see a "Never" option. No change. Attempting to "synchronise now" or pull down to refresh a folder on another account still shows connection attempts to all accounts in the log and it seems to wait for the connection attempt to timeout before synchronising the requested folder. Is there something else I could have set wrong? Is there any way to make FairEmail log its reason for connecting to that account?

My bad: you should disable receiving with the first switch in the receive settings.

The error should be in the corresponding status bar notification, but you should also be able to find it in the log (via the main navigation/hamburger menu).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2019, 02:45 PM |#10851  
OP Recognized Developer

More
I have just released beta version 1.836

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This version adds S/MIME encryption.

S/MIME sign/encrypt needs your private key for signing and the public key of the recipient for encryption. The private key for signing is securely being stored in the Android key store and can be imported using the advanced Android security settings (there is a shortcut in FairEmail's privacy settings). The public key of the recipient can be stored in FairEmail's database after checking the S/MIME signature of the recipient (the easiest way) or be imported into FairEmail's database on sending the message (the key needs to be stored a PEM file, see the FAQ about how you can extract this file from a S/MIME certificate).

On sending a S/MIME signed/encrypted message, FairEmail will first ask which private key to use to sign the message and after that ask which public key to use to encrypt the message. All public keys will be shown with the most likely one's in bold at the top of the list.

I will later update the FAQ with information about how to use S/MIME.

Please report any problem, so it can be fixed.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, email, open source, privacy, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)