FORUMS

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

21,889 posts
Thanks Meter: 46,456
 
By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 02:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th March 2019, 10:41 AM |#5001  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,456
 
More
I have just released beta version 1.381

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

After some research it appeared that apps of Adobe, Microsoft and potentially a number of other apps could not open attachments because the file suffix was missing. This is a bug in these apps, which is supported by the fact that Google's app can open the same files without any problem. Anyway, I have reorganized the source code to share a sanitized file name and suffix to workaround this problem.

Technical background: apps should use the shared MIME type and not rely on the file suffix for this.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2019, 11:22 AM |#5002  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 610
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I have just released beta version 1.381

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

After some research it appeared that apps of Adobe, Microsoft and potentially a number of other apps could not open attachments because the file suffix was missing. This is a bug in these apps, which is supported by the fact that Google's app can open the same files without any problem. Anyway, I have reorganized the source code to share a sanitized file name and suffix to workaround this problem.

Technical background: apps should use the shared MIME type and not rely on the file suffix for this.

I confirm this to be working fine now (tested with .docx files)!
Good job!
14th March 2019, 11:40 AM |#5003  
steakhutzeee's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Italia
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Dimmed messages are messages stored locally only and therefore they will not be removed. Make sure you really want to delete the message, enable debug mode and there will be an 'emergency' delete menu in the more menu of the message.

Oh, thanks.
If it's stored locally only, why I can see it in gmail app also, and if I delete it from there the message is erased without issues?
And why this message is stored locally? What I did to save it? No idea when and how I did it.
14th March 2019, 11:41 AM |#5004  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,456
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee

Oh, thanks.
If it's stored locally only, why I can see it in gmail app also, and if I delete it from there the message is erased without issues?
And why this message is stored locally? What I did to save it? No idea when and how I did it.

I don't know, but for some reason the message is not being synchronized.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2019, 12:51 PM |#5005  
steakhutzeee's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Italia
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I don't know, but for some reason the message is not being synchronized.

Tried to delete activating debug mode, message still remains. When I tried to delete the app crashed. So I tried to send the email to you with the details but the mail was in permanent pending with a red error saying something about Oath that want more. Don't know.
14th March 2019, 12:52 PM |#5006  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,456
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee

Tried to delete activating debug mode, message still remains. When I tried to delete the app crashed. So I tried to send the email to you with the details but the mail was in permanent pending with a red error saying something about Oath that want more. Don't know.

Please reproduce the problem and send me the debug info by long pressing 'Support'.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2019, 01:02 PM |#5007  
steakhutzeee's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Italia
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Please reproduce the problem and send me the debug info by long pressing 'Support'.

Did it, the app crashed, reopened the app and the support mail was already generated. Just sent.

It's from my first account, the issue is on my second account. I think it's the same, the mail is from the profile u select to be the default one.
14th March 2019, 01:06 PM |#5008  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,456
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee

Did it, the app crashed, reopened the app and the support mail was already generated. Just sent.

It's from my first account, the issue is on my second account. I think it's the same, the mail is from the profile u select to be the default one.

The sent crash is being caused by a bug in an AndroidX library. The next release of FairEmail will have a workaround for this.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2019, 01:12 PM |#5009  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 46,456
 
More
I have just released beta version 1.382

Changelog/dowload:
https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

The main change is to use more basic IMAP commands for better server compatibility.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2019, 11:59 PM |#5010  
steakhutzeee's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Italia
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

The sent crash is being caused by a bug in an AndroidX library. The next release of FairEmail will have a workaround for this.

Thanks!
I'm still unable to delete that message in the trash tho
15th March 2019, 04:44 AM |#5011  
Senior Member
Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 591
 
More
Was trying to add gmail account, but gave invalid username / password. read the FAQ,

(6) How can I login to Gmail / G suite?

Preferably select Gmail as provider and select an account on your device.

If you want/need to use a username/password instead of selecting an account, you'll need to enable access for "less secure" apps, see here for Google's instructions or go directy to the setting. You can solve the error 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted by enabling "less secure" apps


Can you not do anything to configure gmail with more secure options? Gmail has disabled this for a reason.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, email, open source, privacy, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes