[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

20,213 posts
Thanks Meter: 41,843

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 03:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th May 2019, 05:08 PM |#5801  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
In my opinion, a forwarding should not be assigned to the replies, because a forwarding normally does not go to the sender and is therefore not an answer in the narrower sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to fraschi51 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fraschi51 Ad-Free
8th May 2019, 05:19 PM |#5802  
OP Recognized Developer

More
IMHO reply and forward are different things and shouldn't therefore not be in the same menu.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2019, 05:53 PM |#5803  
OP Recognized Developer

More
I think FairEmail is now pretty feature complete, so it is time to move from development to maintenance.
The current version will be the next stable version, possibly with some minor improvements and/or bug fixes (currently none known).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2019, 04:26 AM |#5804  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 416

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I think FairEmail is now pretty feature complete, so it is time to move from development to maintenance.
The current version will be the next stable version, possibly with some minor improvements and/or bug fixes (currently none known).

I may be in minority but think "sort by snooze" would make an useful addition. It helps when you want to find the mail you snoozed and want to act on it now instead latter.
9th May 2019, 05:06 AM |#5805  

More
Hello Marcel, I noticed today that FairEmail castrates a bit too much.
Unfortunately, there are several email clients that can't handle links properly, especially long ones. Most of them simply break long links unmotivated somewhere, so that the recipient can no longer click on them completely .
Therefore, it has become common practice among the thinking e-mail users that links (basically, especially long ones) are always enclosed in angle brackets. Such limited links are then either not broken at all or only broken up in such a way by the mail clients that they remain completely clickable by the recipient.
Instead of using a link shortener instead of the pointed brackets, it is probably not a good recommendation, as a recipient should generally not click on link shortener links for security reasons.
With FairEmail, however, this link is completely removed from the e-mail (understandable, after all, malicious HTML code could be hidden between the pointed brackets).
BUT this link removal does not only take place in the formatted view, but also in the original view. And that's not okay in my opinion. Thus, the recipient has no possibility to take note of the information mentioned in the link. If it is already called original view, I would like to see the e-mail also completely in the original, thus WITH the contained link. The recipient already receives a corresponding warning when clicking on the 'Original View' button.
Only because I had another e-mail client could I access the link and the information it contained. However, I don't think it's intended that someone who chooses FairEmail should only have to keep another mail client for such cases, do I?
9th May 2019, 06:52 AM |#5806  

More
Is it possible to define a signature somewhere (where?) in FairEmail that is automatically placed under each new mail?
9th May 2019, 07:08 AM |#5807  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraschi51

Hello Marcel, I noticed today that FairEmail castrates a bit too much.
Unfortunately, there are several email clients that can't handle links properly, especially long ones. Most of them simply break long links unmotivated somewhere, so that the recipient can no longer click on them completely .
Therefore, it has become common practice among the thinking e-mail users that links (basically, especially long ones) are always enclosed in angle brackets. Such limited links are then either not broken at all or only broken up in such a way by the mail clients that they remain completely clickable by the recipient.
Instead of using a link shortener instead of the pointed brackets, it is probably not a good recommendation, as a recipient should generally not click on link shortener links for security reasons.
With FairEmail, however, this link is completely removed from the e-mail (understandable, after all, malicious HTML code could be hidden between the pointed brackets).
BUT this link removal does not only take place in the formatted view, but also in the original view. And that's not okay in my opinion. Thus, the recipient has no possibility to take note of the information mentioned in the link. If it is already called original view, I would like to see the e-mail also completely in the original, thus WITH the contained link. The recipient already receives a corresponding warning when clicking on the 'Original View' button.
Only because I had another e-mail client could I access the link and the information it contained. However, I don't think it's intended that someone who chooses FairEmail should only have to keep another mail client for such cases, do I?

The original view shows the message as it has been sent, including any links. Note that auto linking will not be done for the original view, so a link might be shown as plain text instead of a hyperlink, if this is the way it was sent.

Links are not removed from messages, with one exception: image links of images identified as being tracking pixels. You can disable the extra privacy features in the advanced options (miscellaneous) if you don't want this, but I think most will want this.

If you still have doubts, download/save the raw message and send it to me by using 'Report issue' in the three dots overflow menu of 'About' and I will check it.
9th May 2019, 07:09 AM |#5808  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraschi51

Is it possible to define a signature somewhere (where?) in FairEmail that is automatically placed under each new mail?

Yes, in the identity settings.
9th May 2019, 08:17 AM |#5809  

More
Thanks, found ...
And the RAW-Message with the missing Link is send.
9th May 2019, 08:27 AM |#5810  
Thanks Meter: 220

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

There's one thing I needed just now: the possibility to attach an image directly from the camera. Which is probably beyond the privacy scope of FairEmail if that means that the app needs access to the camera...
9th May 2019, 08:33 AM |#5811  

More
Doesn't your camera app have a 'share' option where you can select FairEmail?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, email, open source, privacy, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)