FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Open source, privacy friendly email app

17,162 posts
Thanks Meter: 35,258
 
By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 02:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th May 2019, 01:38 PM |#6021  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,258
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by juzek666

Thank you for your answer Marcel. But unfortunately i already have disabled vibration on channel Notifications (and on 2 others - Warnings, Errors).

On Android versions with notifications channels (Android 8 Oreo and later) apps have no control over how notifications are displayed/behave after the initial creation of the notification channel. The whole intention of the notification channels is to put the user, you, in control of notifications, not apps. So, you'll have to dig deeper into the Android notification settings to get this resolved.

You could try to uninstall and install FairEmail again as this will delete all notification channels and recreate them with the default attributes. FairEmail doesn't touch the vibration attribute, as you can see here, so the default will be the system default.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
16th May 2019, 01:51 PM |#6022  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,258
 
More
@ths180 The hint text will be "Frequency of refreshing the connection for push messages or frequency of checking for new messages" and is ready for translation.

The reason that there is no setting per folder is that waking up the device once to check for new messages in all folders set to poll will result in less battery usage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2019, 01:58 PM |#6023  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Folders will be synchronized continuous, unless set to poll (which will be done for Gmail user folders by default) or when the provider doesn't support push messages. The poll interval can be configured in the account settings (not per folder).

You can also synchronize all accounts periodically, which can be configured in the advanced options.

Does it make sense to give a separate setting for this? Some folders with push, some periodically.
For battery drain reasons?

So 19 is much less for periodically. A higher value is bad for push!?
16th May 2019, 02:02 PM |#6024  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,258
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ths180

Does it make sense to give a separate setting for this? Some folders with push, some periodically.
For battery drain reasons?

So 19 is much less for periodically. A higher value is bad for push!?

Does it make sense that there are still providers in 2019 that don't support push messages or limit the number of simultaneous folder connections (Gmail) ?

Note that a folder connection uses the same shared account connection.

Which provider are you using that requires polling?
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2019, 02:28 PM |#6025  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,258
 
More
@Licaon_Kter could you please update the F-Droid description and maybe fix/workaround the ugly list item spacing?
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2019, 02:31 PM |#6026  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Does it make sense that there are still providers in 2019 that don't support push messages or limit the number of simultaneous folder connections (Gmail) ?

Note that a folder connection uses the same shared account connection.

Which provider are you using that requires polling?

No unlimited push.

But my idea was to save battery.
Important folders push.
Not important poll.
And the poll intervall higher than 19 minutes.
But the 19 we need for push...

Wrong idea?

Thank you,

Thomas
16th May 2019, 02:32 PM |#6027  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,258
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ths180

No unlimited push.

But my idea was to save battery.
Important folders push.
Not important poll.
And the poll intervall higher than 19 minutes.
But the 19 we need for push...

Wrong idea?

Wrong idea, push messages are much lighter on the battery than polling.

Edit: do you still have battery usage problems? If so, please send me the debug info by long pressing 'Support' in the main navigation menu.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2019, 02:52 PM |#6028  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Wrong idea, push messages are much lighter on the battery than polling.

Edit: do you still have battery usage problems? If so, please send me the debug info by long pressing 'Support' in the main navigation menu.

My mistake.
I disabled watchdog and tested with BetterBatteryStats. Everything fine.
After enable watchdog same test. Also fine.
So my idea with poll was wrong.

Thank you for the clarification,

Thomas
16th May 2019, 06:57 PM |#6029  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Hello Marcel,

what do you think about moving the attachments below the message text?
If you have many attachments you don't see the message.

I think normally you first read the message and then open the attachments. Above, I would just show the paperclip that the user has knowledge of the attachments.

Thank you,

Thomas
16th May 2019, 06:59 PM |#6030  
M66B's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 35,258
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ths180

Hello Marcel,

what do you think about moving the attachments below the message text?
If you have many attachments you don't see the message.

I think normally you first read the message and then open the attachments. Above, I would just show the paperclip that the user has knowledge of the attachments.

Some people have asked to make it as it is now and personally I prefer it this way.

It prevents scrolling to the bottom if you are interested in the attachment(s) only.

Maybe it is an idea to limit the number of attachments shown (so, you'll need to scroll).
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2019, 07:07 PM |#6031  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Some people have asked to make it as it is now and personally I prefer it this way.

It prevents scrolling to the bottom if you are interested in the attachment(s) only.

Maybe it is an idea to limit the number of attachments shown (so, you'll need to scroll).

Good idea. Limitation.
2-3 for example and then show more with tap...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes