[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Open source, privacy friendly email app

17,155 posts
Thanks Meter: 35,216

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 02:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th May 2019, 08:32 AM |#6101  
Thanks Meter: 170

More
This may have been discussed before (I did a search but couldn't find it), but the sub menu for replying to a message always confuses me.

The menu choices are Sender, All and Template.
  • The All option is always there, even I am the only recipient. It always confuses me when replying to an email only sent to me: did I overlook other recipients?
  • The Template option opens a reply to sender only. Additional recipients should added manually - or, as an alternative, the answer can be opened with Reply All and then the template is inserted using the three dot menu at the top of the screen.
It seems to me that it would be more logical to work this way:
  • If I am the only recipient the Reply button just opens a reply message.
  • If there are more recipients the button opens a sub menu with the options Sender and All.
  • When I want to add a template I can do that after opening the reply with the three dot menu.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heinhuiz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift heinhuiz Ad-Free

19th May 2019, 08:52 AM |#6102  
Thanks Meter: 539

More
@M66B Since FairEmail seems to be killed/crashed again (version 500, wanted to update in a minute to 501 and checked if it was still running), did you receive a mail with a crashreport?
19th May 2019, 09:15 AM |#6103  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouzowtf

@M66B Since FairEmail seems to be killed/crashed again (version 500, wanted to update in a minute to 501 and checked if it was still running), did you receive a mail with a crashreport?

The only recent fatal error report is this:

Code:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryErrorActivityView
Failed to allocate a 11528 byte allocation with 619088 free bytes and 601KB until OOM; failed due to fragmentation (required continguous free 12288 bytes where largest contiguous free 0 bytes)
I have recently profiled the memory usage of FairEmail and FairEmail is using about 30-60 MB memory, which is quite okay.

So, it seems your device is out of memory.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th May 2019, 09:18 AM |#6104  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinhuiz

This may have been discussed before (I did a search but couldn't find it), but the sub menu for replying to a message always confuses me.

The menu choices are Sender, All and Template.

• The All option is always there, even I am the only recipient. It always confuses me when replying to an email only sent to me: did I overlook other recipients?
  • The Template option opens a reply to sender only. Additional recipients should added manually - or, as an alternative, the answer can be opened with Reply All and then the template is inserted using the three dot menu at the top of the screen.
It seems to me that it would be more logical to work this way:
  • If I am the only recipient the Reply button just opens a reply message.
  • If there are more recipients the button opens a sub menu with the options Sender and All.
  • When I want to add a template I can do that after opening the reply with the three dot menu.

Thanks for your feedback.

I will remove 'reply all' in a next release if there is just one recipient.

I don't think it is a good idea to have multiple choices like Reply > Sender/All > Message/Template because it would require more taps which are in most cases unnecessary.

Template replies are not really meant for multiple recipients, but you can still insert a template from the compose screen after replying to all if you really want to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th May 2019, 09:25 AM |#6105  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

The only recent fatal error report is this:

I have recently profiled the memory usage of FairEmail and FairEmail is using about 30-60 MB memory, which is quite okay.

So, it seems your device is out of memory.

Currently 2,6 GB free and average memory usage of the 6 GB RAM is 57% as per Android.
And for FairEmail the usage was 18 MB with a maximum of 87 MB.

I did not restart or update it till now. Is there anything I can do right after the manual start to help find the problem?
19th May 2019, 09:29 AM |#6106  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Currently 2,6 GB free and average memory usage of the 6 GB RAM is 57% as per Android.
And for FairEmail the usage was 18 MB with a maximum of 87 MB.

I did not restart or update it till now. Is there anything I can do right after the manual start to help find the problem?

Maybe the error report was not of your device (all error reports are anonymous).

You can always send me the debug info by long pressing 'Support' in the navigation menu. Try to do this as soon as possible after the problem to increase the chance the problem is still visible in the debug info.
19th May 2019, 09:35 AM |#6107  
OP Recognized Developer

More
@ouzowtf did you already check here? https://dontkillmyapp.com/
19th May 2019, 09:45 AM |#6108  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

@ouzowtf did you already check here? https://dontkillmyapp.com/

Yes, and FairEmail is set to not optimize and advanced optimization is off as it's like half a year at least.
And I never had problems with FairEmail before.
19th May 2019, 10:51 AM |#6109  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:

Yes, and FairEmail is set to not optimize and advanced optimization is off as it's like half a year at least.
And I never had problems with FairEmail before.

Hello,
with activated watchdog and with deactivated watchdog, too?
19th May 2019, 11:04 AM |#6110  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ths180

Hello,
with activated watchdog and with deactivated watchdog, too?

Had it deactivated till yesterday, but it happened before and after (since one week or something like that).
19th May 2019, 11:12 AM |#6111  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:

Had it deactivated till yesterday, but it happened before and after (since one week or something like that).

Android Update last days?
Samsung for example changed something from April to Mai Patch...

Do you have Greenify or something else?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)