[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Open source, privacy friendly email app

17,475 posts
Thanks Meter: 35,910

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 02:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th July 2019, 11:00 PM |#7141  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Looks good. Is it possible to import from K-9 mail?

12th July 2019, 06:31 AM |#7142  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemiren

Looks good. Is it possible to import from K-9 mail?

Importing from other email clients is not possible. Other email clients most often do not document the export file format. Reverse engineering might be possible, but things will break if the file format is changed. So, I don't want to put effort into this, also because setting up an email account is not much work. Another thing is that FairEmail has other settings. FairEmail allows you for example to set the number of days to synchronize for and the number of days to keep messages for separately, which is quite useful to save on battery usage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th July 2019, 06:45 AM |#7143  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Hi, Marcel,
can you please check why the notification light flashes only once when receiving mail. I have no problems with the LED under LOS 16 (https://github.com/cryptomilk/androi...ice_sony_lilac) with other apps.
I would be happy if the LED also works with FairEmail, too.
12th July 2019, 06:50 AM |#7144  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirdSchoon

Hi, Marcel,
can you please check why the notification light flashes only once when receiving mail. I have no problems with the LED under LOS 16 (https://github.com/cryptomilk/androi...ice_sony_lilac) with other apps.
I would be happy if the LED also works with FairEmail, too.

LineageOS 16 is based on Android 9 Pie. From Android 8 Oreo apps do not have control over notifications anymore after being installed. Apps can only send a notifications, but the appearance of notifications can only be changed by the Andoid app/notification settings (conveniently accessible via the FairEmail notification settings).

See also here: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-...-content-faq21
12th July 2019, 07:08 AM |#7145  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

LineageOS 16 is based on Android 9 Pie. From Android 8 Oreo apps do not have control over notifications anymore after being installed. Apps can only send a notifications, but the appearance of notifications can only be changed by the Andoid app/notification settings (conveniently accessible via the FairEmail notification settings).

See also here: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-...-content-faq21

What does "Oreo apps" mean in this context? Apps programmed with an older api can control the notification light.
Is that the difference why other apps have no problems even if the LEDs are adjusted in the settings of android (e.g. color, sound)?
The question arises at which point does the program code have to be improved?
12th July 2019, 07:13 AM |#7146  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

What does "Oreo apps" mean in this context? Apps programmed with an older api can control the notification light.
Is that the difference why other apps have no problems even if the LEDs are adjusted in the settings of android (e.g. color, sound)?
The question arises at which point does the program code have to be improved?

Maybe there should have been a comma:

"From Android 8 Oreo, apps do not have control over notifications anymore after being installed"

Apps designed for older Android versions might behave differently, but Google will not allow updates for such apps anymore, see here for the details. Recent Android versions will also show warnings when installing an app designed for older Android versions. In generally this is a sign the app is not supported and maintained anymore.
12th July 2019, 08:16 AM |#7147  

More
Quote:

Maybe there should have been a comma:

"From Android 8 Oreo, apps do not have control over notifications anymore after being installed"

Apps designed for older Android versions might behave differently, but Google will not allow updates for such apps anymore, see here for the details. Recent Android versions will also show warnings when installing an app designed for older Android versions. In generally this is a sign the app is not supported and maintained anymore.

By chance, I have always narrowed down the problem with the notification light.
If Fairemail has received a mail and the phone is only switched on after FE receives another mail, the LED flashes permanently (rhythm, color), as set in the Android.
Does this indicate a problem with Android or Fairemail?
12th July 2019, 08:17 AM |#7148  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

By chance, I have always narrowed down the problem with the notification light.
If Fairemail has received a mail and the phone is only switched on after FE receives another mail, the LED flashes permanently (rhythm, color), as set in the Android.
Does this indicate a problem with Android or Fairemail?

FairEmail just sends notifications and what happens next is out of control of FairEmail.
12th July 2019, 10:46 AM |#7149  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Advanced settings
Hey,
very good work, I really like the app! Anyway, I have one question: I can't find the `advanced settings` and specifically the option `allow insecure connections` (The option `allow insecure connections` when setting up an account does not work for me and I really need this). Am I completely missing something and just blind or is it hidden somewhere? (https://github.com/M66B/open-source-...-content-faq41) I would really appreciate a reply.
Thanks again for your work!
12th July 2019, 10:48 AM |#7150  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHeadbanger

Hey,
very good work, I really like the app! Anyway, I have one question: I can't find the `advanced settings` and specifically the option `allow insecure connections` (The option `allow insecure connections` when setting up an account does not work for me and I really need this). Am I completely missing something and just blind or is it hidden somewhere? (https://github.com/M66B/open-source-...-content-faq41) I would really appreciate a reply.
Thanks again for your work!

Insecure connections needs to be enable for specific accounts and identities, so you'll find this setting in the advanced account and identity settings.

If you tell which error you get, I might be able to give more instructions.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th July 2019, 11:12 AM |#7151  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Insecure connections needs to be enable for specific accounts and identities, so you'll find this setting in the advanced account and identity settings.

If you tell which error you get, I might be able to give more instructions.

Okay, I'm just stupid. I was always looking for that option in the general settings. So its working now, thanks for the really quick reply and support!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, email, open source, privacy, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)