17,999 posts
Thanks Meter: 36,955

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 02:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th July 2019, 03:56 PM |#7161  
OP Recognized Developer

More
I have just renamed the GitHub project from "open-source-email" into "FairEmail", which I should have done much earlier.
The old links will keep working and will be redirected to their corresponding new links.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]

12th July 2019, 04:39 PM |#7162  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

So, it look like I am your virtual drugsdealer

If you have suggestions to promote FairEmail in a nice way, please let me know.

Well, we had this already in the past, when FE was launched officially in the app store. As this is the one-stop-shop for most users, many positive reviews in Google's app store would help to promote this great app. However, since most of us here in this forum got FE either from Github directly (or other sources), we are excluded from reviewing it in the app store. At least I tried, and did not figure out how to leave a review. But uninstalling the app to get it from Google was not an option.

EDIT: but even without the possibility of rating it in the app store, everyone of us can spread the word!
12th July 2019, 05:08 PM |#7163  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
I'm old enough to remember the beginnings of the 'net, or prehistoric times, when an email would take 3 days to traverse the US via the universities' modems being enabled only at night when phone rates were cheaper.

Isn't creating a newer better email app something like creating a newer better dinosaur, in these days of an overabundance of "free" messaging apps?

No offence intended.

In my family most messaging groups used are in WhatsApp or Telegram, or private platforms of all sorts.
No email groups.

It's been years since I remember being in an active email group.

I'm still running my own site and email system, not sure it's really motivated anymore, except for convenience and security reasons.
12th July 2019, 05:15 PM |#7164  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobben

I'm old enough to remember the beginnings of the 'net, or prehistoric times, when an email would take 3 days to traverse the US via the universities' modems being enabled only at night when phone rates were cheaper.

Isn't creating a newer better email app something like creating a newer better dinosaur, in these days of an overabundance of "free" messaging apps?

No offence intended.

In my family most messaging groups used are in WhatsApp or Telegram, or private platforms of all sorts.
No email groups.

I'm still running my own site and email system, not sure it's really motivated anymore, except for convenience and security reasons.

FairEmail is not meant as a newer and better email app, but as an email app to protect your privacy better. To this end there are a number of features to help protect you against tracking and phishing that most other email apps lack, some of them unique (you could even call them inventions). See here for a short list of these features:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail#privacy-features

Besides that, FairEmail has about everything you can expect from a modern email client.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th July 2019, 06:08 PM |#7165  
Thanks Meter: 243

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobben

No email groups.

Unfortunately, there is some truth in this. My grandchildren almost never use email anymore. They're all using text messaging apps.

Your next project Marcel?
12th July 2019, 06:14 PM |#7166  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeme2

Unfortunately, there is some truth in this. My grandchildren almost never use email anymore. They're all using text messaging apps.

Your next project Marcel?

I agree there is some truth in it, but email is certainly not dead. In my email archive there are literally 100 thousands of messages (if that isn't a dinosaur, what is?) and they are not old, at least not as old as I am

Moreover, most business related emails (health care, insurance, etc) have some form of tracking, so FairEmail has its function, at least to me.

My next project is to enjoy life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th July 2019, 06:37 PM |#7167  

More
Quote:

My next project is to enjoy life

Our loss, your gain.
The Following User Says Thank You to maybeme2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maybeme2 Ad-Free
12th July 2019, 07:09 PM |#7168  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
My promotion of FailrEmail is - besides the Pro purchase - my signature (in German) which is automatically set by FairEmail under all mails I write with FairEmail.
It reads:
"--
Actually, nobody likes this Advertising,
but if anyone does care:
I wrote this mail on a UMIDIGI S3 Pro
with FairEmail [https://email.faircode.eu/]."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fraschi51 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fraschi51 Ad-Free
12th July 2019, 07:21 PM |#7169  

More
Good idea.
12th July 2019, 07:33 PM |#7170  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeme2

Good idea.

I have considered to put a similar remark in each sent message if the pro features are not activated, but I am afraid people will complain and rate low for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th July 2019, 07:39 PM |#7171  

More
Quote:

I have considered to put a similar remark in each sent message if the pro features are not activated, but I am afraid people will complain and rate low for it.

How about put the message in the non-pro version with an option to remove or modify it.

I'm searching how to put such a message as we speak.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, email, open source, privacy, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)