[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Qu@rk

Sep 18, 2011
I have used K9 for many years. I like FairEmail so far, but some things are very confusing. I am willing to buy the pro version, because I would need to export/import settings for different tablets and phones.

I use several accounts and I would like to use the account view as the starting page.
Besides my main account, there are more important and less important accounts.
I was not able to find a way to change the order of accounts in the accounts start page.
If there is no way to do that, FairEmail is useless for me. Additional the order will change if you alter the settings of an account, very confusing.

Where can I find the setting how FairEmail handles confirmation requests for received messages?
I found it for sent messages, but it seems there is no setting for received messages.

Thank you for this great work!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have used K9 for many years. I like FairEmail so far, but some things are very confusing. I am willing to buy the pro version, because I would need to export/import settings for different tablets and phones.

I use several accounts and I would like to use the account view as the starting page.
Besides my main account, there are more important and less important accounts.
I was not able to find a way to change the order of accounts in the accounts start page.
If there is no way to do that, FairEmail is useless for me. Additional the order will change if you alter the settings of an account, very confusing.

Where can I find the setting how FairEmail handles confirmation requests for received messages?
I found it for sent messages, but it seems there is no setting for received messages.

Thank you for this great work!
You can change the order of the accounts via the navigation menu of the setup screen. By default the accounts are ordered on primary/secondary and account name.

Confirming a received message can be done via the answer menu. It will be an option if the sender requested this and there will be an icon in the addresses section to show a read receipt was requested as well.

Reactions: Qu@rk

Qu@rk

Sep 18, 2011
You can change the order of the accounts via the navigation menu of the setup screen. By default the accounts are ordered on primary/secondary and account name.

Confirming a received message can be done via the answer menu. It will be an option if the sender requested this and there will be an icon in the addresses section to show a read receipt was requested as well.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am sorry, I am not able to find the mentioned menu for changing the order of the accounts. Is this a pro feature? I have not bought the pro version yet, still testing.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thank you for your quick reply.

I am sorry, I am not able to find the mentioned menu for changing the order of the accounts. Is this a pro feature? I have not bought the pro version yet, still testing.
Go to the setup screen and swipe from the left edge inwards and you'll find a menu item to order the accounts.

Reactions: gimpy1

Qu@rk

Sep 18, 2011
Go to the setup screen and swipe from the left edge inwards and you'll find a menu item to order the accounts.
Oh my god, I am so sorry! I found it, cool. :)
Even more options!
A little bit overwhelming all these options but great to have them, even if I don't need all of it at the moment. Many default settings are perfect already.

Thanks again!

AlainL

Dec 21, 2004
Hi.

I have a suggestion :

Can you add an option to customize action bar (the one that is sticky at bottom of screen) ?

I'm reading messages in normal mode (not conversation) and there is only 2 buttons : delete message and delay (not useful for me).

To move the message i'm reading or to display images, i have to scroll all the way up to top to have the button.

It would be nice to have same buttons in sticky bottom bar as in top action bar.

Or, better, make top action bar sticky at bottom of screen instead of fixed position after header.

Any way, thanks for this great program

Last edited:
Reactions: Andriy U.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi.

I have a suggestion :

Can you add an option to customize action bar (the one that is sticky at bottom of screen) ?

I'm reading messages in normal mode (not conversation) and there is only 2 buttons : delete message and delay (not useful for me).

To move the message i'm reading or to display images, i have to scroll all the way up to top to have the button.

It would be nice to have same buttons in sticky bottom bar as in top action bar.

Or, better, make top action bar sticky at bottom of screen instead of fixed position after header.

Any way, thanks for this great program
There can be only five actions in an action bar, so choices have to be made. Previous/next, archive/trash and snooze are the most used actions.

Maybe you can set an archive folder where the message should be moved to (setup, step 1, tap Manage, tap account, at the bottom).

I will think about an option to replace archive by move.

Reactions: AlainL

Qu@rk

Sep 18, 2011
I am still struggling with my change from K9 to FairEmail.

A language setting independent of the system language would be nice. It would be easier to communicate with you about specific settings (my system language is German, so it is difficult to refer to menu entries or settings).

Independantly set "compact mode" for list of e-mails and message view. I would like to use the compact mode for the list of e-mails but "normal" mode while reading the message.

I have used K9 for many years and I get a lot of e-mails from strange senders (customers). So I am much more focused on the subject than on the sender. I often read an e-mail, reply but leave the genuine e-mail unread as a reminder.
With K9 it is much easier for me to keep track of the subjects and unread e-mails. In FairEmail it is harder for me to distinguish the read from unread e-mails and because the subject has the same color as the address it is less easy to focus on that. For me the visualization of FairEmail is more straining.

K9 uses a different background for unread e-mails. And maybe a brighter color for the subject would help. K9 is far less colorful but easier to read (my opinion after so many years). It is difficult to recommend a solution, because FairEmail is so different and it should be, it is not a K9-clone.
Maybe you have a good idea how to improve the readability.

This is no criticism of your work! I am used to K9 but I like some features of FairEmail very much.
Maybe there is a way to adapt the visualization by some options to make it easier for K9-changers. :)

lou2s

Jun 19, 2010
Hi dev, for the "delete old unread message" feature, could we customize the numbers of days of it? I remember meanwhile 30 days means old. I wish I could set it to other numbers. Thank you very much for your work.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
You don't have to scroll at all, 1 click on the up arrow (framed in red in the attached screenshot) is enough to get back to the top.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200716-125453.jpg
    Screenshot_20200716-125453.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: AlainL and M66B

Andriy U.

Oct 28, 2010
...In FairEmail it is harder for me to distinguish the read from unread e-mails and because the subject has the same color as the address it is less easy to focus on that...

You can change in the Settings -> DISPLAY:

* Text size sender: Small
* Text size subject: Medium or Large
* Show subject in italics: ON
* Highlight subject: ON

It will make the visualization more comfortable for you.

Reactions: M66B

Qu@rk

Sep 18, 2011
You can change in the Settings -> DISPLAY:

* Text size sender: Small
* Text size subject: Medium or Large
* Show subject in italics: ON
* Highlight subject: ON

It will make the visualization more comfortable for you.

Thank you. Yes, I know, I already tried several combinations without much improvement.

Last edited:

Andriy U.

Oct 28, 2010
Thank you. Yes, I know, I already tried several combinations without much improvement.

What would you like to improve? The font style, size and color are configurable, see the screenshot with above mentioned settings. As for me, the focus on subject is quite good ;)

Screenshot.jpg

PS: If the account name will be not shown after the subject, I will be 100% happy...

Last edited:
Reactions: M66B
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.