18,057 posts
Thanks Meter: 37,008

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 02:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th August 2019, 09:50 AM |#7711  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Overall the Play store rating of FairEmail is certainly not bad, but recently there were some not so good ratings with remarks like this:

Quote:

Overall UI looks a bit legacy

Quote:

A messy pile of messages

Quote:

Didn't u see other e-mail apps with simple and beautiful UI?

Quote:

Erstens: Das Benutzerinterface finde ich zwar nutzbar, aber denkbar unübersichtlich und irgendwie altmodisch. Da müsste wohl mal ein UI-Designer ran.

Translated: "First, I find the user interface usable, but very confusing and somehow old-fashioned. There would probably have to run a UI designer."

Is the user interface really a legacy, confusing, old-fashioned, etc? If so, how should that be improved?

Or should I just ignore this and stick to the design goals (minimalistic, non distracting) ?

Or should there be more "bling-bling"?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]

14th August 2019, 10:19 AM |#7712  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Is the user interface really a legacy, confusing, old-fashioned, etc? If so, how should that be improved?

Or should I just ignore this and stick to the design goals (minimalistic, non distracting) ?

Please, no „bling-bling“! It’s anyway difficult to match everybody’s taste. I personally like FE‘s UI, it’s much better than for example K-9. However, your primary focus is not so much to deliver a flashy app, but a secure and privacy respecting email application with a lot of useful features, giving the user full control over their accounts.

I also think that your target audience are more tech savvy people interested in open source software, encryption, privacy etc. - who just wants something looking nicely, can stick with their stock Gmail apps... 😉.
However, this does not mean that you shouldn’t introduce also improvements to the UI if you like.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dnsroot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dnsroot Ad-Free
14th August 2019, 10:45 AM |#7713  
Thanks Meter: 370

More
Quote:

Overall the Play store rating of FairEmail is certainly not bad, but recently there were some not so good ratings with remarks like this:

Translated: "First, I find the user interface usable, but very confusing and somehow old-fashioned. There would probably have to run a UI designer."

I do not think you can get a higher rating. Even solid apps such as Fx file explorer has 4.4 compared to fairemail 4.6
So, ratings will be between 4 and 5 anyhow.
Gboard googles keyboard is 4.4, and Instagram which is probably the most used app at the moment is 4.5
So, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure what they are referring to.
You should ask them to show you examples of what they mean.

As hardly any app use animations (maybe some music apps may be the exception)
Colour themes?
So they expect random images to pop up, with comments and stuff, video?. Then email app is not what they need.

FairEmail UI is great for email. So not sure what they want.
What is blingeddy blung?

I do like transparent theme, examples:
Not open source,
FX file explorer: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1253399
Open source,
Frost: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ebook-t3685896
Twidere: https://github.com/TwidereProject/Twidere-Android

If you are planning themes, then I suggest to take a look at how theme engines work so that changes to the overall design remains the same
Some apps have theme editors, not sure how they work, though

However, I believe most theme engines such as CM engine and substratum do not work anymore due to changes in OS by goggles forcing root.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m0d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m0d Ad-Free
14th August 2019, 10:53 AM |#7714  
Thanks Meter: 557

More
Quote:

Sometimes I think so too that it looks a bit outdated and old fashioned, but I didn't rate anything like that in the play store.
I often asked myself what exactly is the reason for this feeling is and did not come up with a clear "problem".
It doesn't look light/modern.

One thing I noticed is color choice. Especially the color and style used for the buttons in the settings look a bit like the grey used in Windows 3.11 or Windows 2000.
Or the blue color choice at the top.
Another thing could be font style and sometimes font size.
Sometimes it could be just about the right amount of white space between being usable/practical and visually appealing.

But it's really hard for me to catch the cause.

If I had time and a PC I would try to make a mock-up.
14th August 2019, 10:54 AM |#7715  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Fair Email on iOS?
I am using two mobiles, a private Android and an iPhone for business. I am trying to set up the two devices as similar as possible (in terms of apps). Fair Email is one of my most used apps for my private email accounts.
On the iPhone the stock email app is used for company email. I do not know which other iOS email app would be as good and trustworthy as Fair Email.
Therefore I am wondering if there are any plans to create a corresponding app for iOS?
14th August 2019, 10:55 AM |#7716  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsroot

I am using two mobiles, a private Android and an iPhone for business. I am trying to set up the two devices as similar as possible (in terms of apps). Fair Email is one of my most used apps for my private email accounts.
On the iPhone the stock email app is used for company email. I do not know which other iOS email app would be as good and trustworthy as Fair Email.
Therefore I am wondering if there are any plans to create a corresponding app for iOS?

Please see this FAQ:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/bl...-content-faq75
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2019, 11:24 AM |#7717  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 295

More
Quote:

Translated: "... . There would probably have to run a UI designer."

I am with you on simplicity and no bling but do sincerely feel that the comment above is valid.

While I do agree that folks who care for their privacy will take the trouble to learn, I also feel that UX needs to be inviting to those who want to try your app.

I can't put my finger and say improve this or that but IMHO, it can do with a design makeover. I wish I could be more specific.

Maybe you run feedback you get at this SE site and see if you get useful suggestions

https://ux.stackexchange.com/
14th August 2019, 11:31 AM |#7718  
Thanks Meter: 557

More
Something like the list of mails here: https://dribbble.com/shots/6733370-Email-interface

I think it looks clean, tidy and with the right amount of white space, information and focus on the important parts.

In FairEmail in the not compact mode there is for example the current account and folder shown in the unified folder right aligned, which makes it look unbalanced and a bit cluttered.

The compact view could use just a very small amount more white space to look lighter.
14th August 2019, 12:27 PM |#7719  
OP Recognized Developer

More
I have just released beta version 1.653

Changelog/dowload:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

The main change is using a card layout for messages. I like to hear if this makes things look better. If you don't like it, there is a display option to disable it.

@ouzowtf thanks for the remark; the account/folder name has been moved left.

Please report any problem you discover.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2019, 12:36 PM |#7720  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Maybe you should write some kind of disclaimer at the top of the app description, like: "Attention, this app is only for power users or people who prefer function to appearance". Then you can always refer to it and nobody can complain, because he just doesn't like the current design.
By the way, without the card display many more mails / information fit on one screen - so thank you that it can be switched off.
14th August 2019, 12:59 PM |#7721  
OP Recognized Developer

More
I have just released beta version 1.654

Changelog/dowload:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This version uses cards for folders too.

Please report any problem you discover.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, email, open source, privacy, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)