By M66B, Recognized Developer on 2nd August 2018, 03:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th September 2018, 08:24 AM |#801  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I have just released beta version 0.37

The good news is that setting up accounts and identities has been simplified and the bad news is that encrypting/decrypting messages has been removed.

@M66B Just to clarify, is the encryption-feature postponed, or removed completely?

Thx sas
7th September 2018, 08:39 AM |#802  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 41,766

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sas-3

@M66B Just to clarify, is the encryption-feature postponed, or removed completely?

Encryption was removed because I found myself spending a lot of time implementing encryption for maybe a handful of people. I might add it back when there are more people using/supporting FairEmail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th September 2018, 08:55 AM |#803  
OP Recognized Developer

More
The latest version seems to be pretty stable.
Are there any remarks on this version?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th September 2018, 09:01 AM |#804  

More
Quote:

Encryption was removed because I found myself spending a lot of time implementing encryption for maybe a handful of people. I might add it back when there are more people using/supporting FairEmail.

Okay fair enough, I am using it myself for some mails but if the user experience was more straight forward, perhaps more people would start using it.

Perhaps you make encryption an addon pro feature; I've already donated that weekend and would be willing to pay some more for a hassle free implementation in my new favourite mail client 😀

Thx marcel and best regards,
Stefan/sas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sas-3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sas-3 Ad-Free
7th September 2018, 09:04 AM |#805  
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Quote:

Yes, it is stable !

Let's get a public stable release and rate it 5 stars on GPlay
7th September 2018, 09:04 AM |#806  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Okay fair enough, I am using it myself for some mails but if the user experience was more straight forward, perhaps more people would start using it.

Perhaps you make encryption an addon pro feature; I've already donated that weekend and would be willing to pay some more for a hassle free implementation in my new favourite mail client

Thx marcel and best regards,
Stefan/sas

So, what is not straight forward? In fact this hurts because everything is as simple as it can be and you everybody has been invited dozens of times to provide feedback. Such remarks let me think to stop development right away ...
7th September 2018, 09:05 AM |#807  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantoine

Yes, it is stable !

Let's get a public stable release and rate it 5 stars on GPlay

It doesn't seem to be straightforward yet ...
7th September 2018, 09:08 AM |#808  

More
Quote:

So, what is not straight forward? In fact this hurts because everything is as simple as it can be and you everybody has been invited dozens of times to provide feedback. Such remarks let me think to stop development right away ...

Sorry you got me wrong: I ment it IS/WAS well implemented in fairemail and now is dropped...
7th September 2018, 09:09 AM |#809  
Thanks Meter: 220

More
Quote:

Hey, don't! Maybe some people need to get used to it, coming from their older email app they want yours to be exactly the same. Me, I loved it since the first version I installed and it is only getting better. I love the minimalist design and behaviour. I'm already waiting for your calendar app with self-hosted storage
The Following User Says Thank You to heinhuiz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift heinhuiz Ad-Free
7th September 2018, 09:11 AM |#810  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:

Are there any remarks on this version?

Sent a log, had an error deleting a draft message

Thanks
7th September 2018, 09:12 AM |#811  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Sorry you got me wrong, I ment it IS/WAS well implemented in fairemail and now is dropped...

Okay, you meant encryption.

Encrypting/decrypting messages with OpenPGP is simple, which was why I added it in a early stage. However, sending a properly formatted encrypted message appeared to be a lot more complicated and I have yet to find a standard where this is described properly. I don't like guess work or reverse engineering other apps, which might not follow the standards correctly themselves.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, email, open source, privacy, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)