FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TrendStation - a privacy friendly alternative to Tapatalk

461 posts
Thanks Meter: 91

By Draygon, Senior Member on 21st March 2018, 06:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I'm not associated with the developer of this app, but found this rare gem at reddit.
I was looking for a Tapatalk alternative over the last years, since Tapatalk is getting more and more advertisements (even the paid version) and it was criticized because of data leaks and a very bad privacy policy. The developers of Tapatalk don't listen to suggestions and make the app even worse, from one to the next update.

TrendStation is a Feed Player, which allows you to read RSS feeds, listen to podcasts or, which is my favourite feature of the app:
to browse any forum that uses the Tapatalk API.

I'm blown away by the simplicity of this app and the forum module, which is a lightweight alternative to Tapatalk itself. Forums can be added by adding the link of the corresponding forum.
There is no cloud service behind and the login data is not shared, everything stays local.

Since the app is really great made and the developer fixed bugs immediately when I wrote him, I'd like other users that look for a Tapatalk alternative to know about this app.
They removed ads immediately, when I asked them to do so. They'll add a donate entry at the app settings.

Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nt.ai
Website of the developer: http://limbostudio.html-5.me/?i=1
E-Mail of the developer: [email protected]

I'd like to share this app with you, because it replaced Tapatalk completely for me.
Please leave your feedback, I want to support the developer with it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Draygon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Draygon Ad-Free

21st March 2018, 07:55 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO
Thanks Meter: 5,803

More
I installed this, looking for something better than TapaTalk that I only use for one forum. It will not add the forums, stating that I have the wrong URL (I know I do not) or forums do not use the Tapatalk API.

It is SNB Forums www.snbforums.com and tried www.snbforums.com/forums and it just does not work. I know they use the Tapatalk API because I can access those forums with Tapatalk.
21st March 2018, 08:25 PM |#3  
Flag Bologna,Italy
Thanks Meter: 365

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkt_Lnt

I installed this, looking for something better than TapaTalk that I only use for one forum. It will not add the forums, stating that I have the wrong URL (I know I do not) or forums do not use the Tapatalk API.

It is SNB Forums www.snbforums.com and tried www.snbforums.com/forums and it just does not work. I know they use the Tapatalk API because I can access those forums with Tapatalk.

Do you need authentication to access the forum?
I have a forum that only can be accessed after user login so that's may be the problem about the app not syncing
I can't access either but I know for sure it uses Tapatalk API of course
21st March 2018, 08:30 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangusZen

Do you need authentication to access the forum?
I have a forum that only can be accessed after user login so that's may be the problem about the app not syncing
I can't access either but I know for sure it uses Tapatalk API of course

You can browse them with no log in. I just set at the add forum screen and get the toast stating wrong URL or does not use tapatalk api. Can't even get to the url.
21st March 2018, 09:12 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks for the feedback.

I talked to the developer, there seems to be a problem with a few forums using the Tapatalk API (Probably because of Cloudflare).
He is actually working on a fix.

The XDA forum and some other forums I tested (Android-Hilfe.de) are working fine for me.
21st March 2018, 09:52 PM |#6  
Flag Bologna,Italy
Thanks Meter: 365

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygon

Thanks for the feedback.

I talked to the developer, there seems to be a problem with a few forums using the Tapatalk API (Probably because of Cloudflare).

The XDA forum and some other forums I tested (Android-Hilfe.de) are working fine for me.

Nice to know , the app seems really nice
21st March 2018, 09:54 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO

More
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes Cloudflare hosts SNB Forums.
22nd March 2018, 12:00 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
I got following answer from the developer, regarding the problem that some forums cannot be added (Tapatalk API not in use error):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbo Studio

Hi,

Its seems as if The CloudFlares DDos protection is tampering with the access of the link. The site admins have not whitelisted the Tapatalk API and since these websites have migrated into Tapatalk itself, it explains why you could use these forums in The Tapatalk Application.

This issue has been faced by many around the world -*https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapa...bd2a244e2cd4b8

We are sorry we couldn’t be of further assistance

Probably someone can get in contact with the developer and help him. These reply is really sad for me.
22nd March 2018, 08:25 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Info 2
Quote:

I got following answer from the developer, regarding the problem that some forums cannot be added (Tapatalk API not in use error):

Probably someone can get in contact with the developer and help him. These reply is really sad for me.

Its not the apps fault but the websites, cloudflare blocks the tapatalk api,
ask the website admin to change it , i guess
22nd March 2018, 09:59 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO

More
Quote:

Pass this on to the dev. New Cloudflare SDK and developer docs.
https://www.cloudflare.com/products/mobile-sdk/
https://developers.cloudflare.com/mobile-sdk/overview/

Source.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...p-performance/
The Following User Says Thank You to Pkt_Lnt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pkt_Lnt Ad-Free
22nd March 2018, 10:13 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Its the websites cloudeflare firewall, it does not allow incoming connections with the app because it suspects it as a robot.

I like the app and its simple and efficient UI, and the fact that its only 8MB is pretty impressive
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)