Amazing Temp Root for MediaTek ARMv8

835 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,030

By diplomatic, Senior Member on 17th April 2019, 12:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th May 2019, 12:48 AM |#121  
Thanks Meter: 1,115

More
I think I am ready to share this tether-less method to use this wonderful temp root shell.

By using the termux app on your phone you can get this root shell to work with out needing pc and adb.

I also added few lines that will allow you to use 'DD' to make image backups of your partitions. ( thanks to the motivation I received from @bigrammy )

My main motivation with this, is to allow coping of boot.img and recovery.img. To be used to make root / twrp porting easier. And also full backups for device repair.

My script is on github https://github.com/mrmazakblu/Root-Backup-Helper

and the readme directions are here ;

Code:
TO Run MTK-SU and then the backup helper

Script to be used in android termux app

This process uses "curl" and "git" to sync with files on internet, so an active internet connection is needed.

Install termux and run these four commands
to make sure you have needed termux resources

pkg update
	pkg upgrade
	pkg install curl
	pkg install git

Then curl this script to termux with the following commands

curl https://del.dog/raw/mtk-su.sh > mtk-su.sh
	chmod 755 mtk-su.sh
	./mtk-su.sh

This will download latest version of mtk-su, then check which version (32-bit or 64-bit)
that is needed to run on your device.
Then it will run the backup-maker script, and give the option to backup boot and recovery or all partitions.

There is no gaurantee that this mtk-su will work on your particular device. If you fail to complete the first method , using mtk-su and backup-helper together then after getting root (some other way) you can still run back-up helper by itself

To run just the Backup-help curl from this address	

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrmazakblu/Root-Backup-Helper/master/dd-backup-maker.sh > maker.sh
	chmod 755 maker.sh

Next part will need root to work. The method above includes a root step.

./maker.sh

At the end of the maker.sh, you will get 3 options. 
1. run full backup
2. run backup of just boot and recovery
3. exit --without doing any backup
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmazak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrmazak Ad-Free

16th May 2019, 07:05 AM |#122  
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazak

I think I am ready to share this tether-less method to use this wonderful temp root shell.

By using the termux app on your phone you can get this root shell to work with out needing pc and adb.

I also added few lines that will allow you to use 'DD' to make image backups of your partitions. ( thanks to the motivation I received from @bigrammy )

My main motivation with this, is to allow coping of boot.img and recovery.img. To be used to make root / twrp porting easier. And also full backups for device repair.

My script is on github https://github.com/mrmazakblu/Root-Backup-Helper

and the readme directions are here ;

Code:
TO Run MTK-SU and then the backup helper

Script to be used in android termux app

This process uses "curl" and "git" to sync with files on internet, so an active internet connection is needed.

Install termux and run these four commands
to make sure you have needed termux resources

pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg install curl
pkg install git

Then curl this script to termux with the following commands

curl https://del.dog/raw/mtk-su.sh > mtk-su.sh
chmod 755 mtk-su.sh
./mtk-su.sh

This will download latest version of mtk-su, then check which version (32-bit or 64-bit)
that is needed to run on your device.
Then it will run the backup-maker script, and give the option to backup boot and recovery or all partitions.

There is no gaurantee that this mtk-su will work on your particular device. If you fail to complete the first method , using mtk-su and backup-helper together then after getting root (some other way) you can still run back-up helper by itself

To run just the Backup-help curl from this address

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrmazakblu/Root-Backup-Helper/master/dd-backup-maker.sh > maker.sh
chmod 755 maker.sh

Next part will need root to work. The method above includes a root step.

./maker.sh

At the end of the maker.sh, you will get 3 options. 
1. run full backup
2. run backup of just boot and recovery
3. exit --without doing any backup

should put this to first page. this will disappear once the thread becomes looongg....

Sent from my vivo 1723 using Tapatalk
17th May 2019, 03:59 AM |#123  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hi I'm trying this out on the vivo v15 (mediatek version). I can't perform the chmod +x on the mtk-su, both through adb shell. The permissions just don't take hold. Any idea how i can do so?

As for termux, i am unable to access /sdcard/mtk-su. I get permission-denied error.
----------------------
never mind, this is solved. I used the script from mrmazak to install the mtk-su.

However, i'm getting the error "Failed critical init step 4: Not a typewriter". Any suggestions? Does it mean i can't root the vivo v15? Its chipset is H70 aka MTK6771V/CT.
The Following User Says Thank You to shiningwizard For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shiningwizard Ad-Free
17th May 2019, 04:17 AM |#124  
Thanks Meter: 536

More
Great project.
You can add BLU R2_LTE (MT6735) to the working list.
BLU S1 also. I know it's grouped into the BLU R1 line.

I tried this on my newer Nook 7 (BNTV46)
It is a MT8163 chip running 32-Bit Android 8.1.0 Go.
Appears to be the MT8163-v/b version.

I know arm7 is not supported.
Will this work on an MT65xx or MT8127?
No, there is no support for 32-bit chips.

Still hopefully this will help in some way.
Not asking for arm support but, maybe this will help for further development.
Since MT8163 is a 64-Bit chip.

On my Nook 7.
adb shell and terminal emulator (jackpal) did not work for me.
mtk-su -s gave no output in adb or terminal emulator.

Gave Termux a shot.
Never used it before.

Attached files.
Termux mtk-su -v (mtksu-v.txt)
Termux mtk-su -s (mtksu-s.txt)
Added .zip to mtksu-v.txt to get past upload restriction. It is not zipped.
Output lines from adb terminal emulator and termux shell. (shells.txt)

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mtksu-v.txt - [Click for QR Code] (721 Bytes, 12 views)
File Type: txt shells.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: zip mtksu-s.txt.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.11 MB, 4 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ipdev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ipdev Ad-Free
17th May 2019, 04:46 AM |#125  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
(gone)
The Following User Says Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
17th May 2019, 04:49 AM |#126  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningwizard

never mind, this is solved. I used the script from mrmazak to install the mtk-su.

However, i'm getting the error "Failed critical init step 4: Not a typewriter". Any suggestions? Does it mean i can't root the vivo v15? Its chipset is H70 aka MTK6771V/CT.

OK, good to know. So it's Android 9 with MT6771.... That message means I will have to look into the firmware and tune the program to make support for it. Do you happen to have a link to the firmware and/or kernel sources of any MT6771 phone? But FYI, this is only temporary root. This isn't like installing Magisk or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

Great project.
You can add BLU R2_LTE (MT6735) to the working list.
BLU S1 also. I know it's grouped into the BLU R1 line.

I tried this on my newer Nook 7 (BNTV46)
It is a MT8163 chip running 32-Bit Android 8.1.0 Go.
Appears to be the MT8163-v/b version.

I know arm7 is not supported.
Will this work on an MT65xx or MT8127?
No, there is no support for 32-bit chips.

Still hopefully this will help in some way.
Not asking for arm support but, maybe this will help for further development.
Since MT8163 is a 64-Bit chip.

On my Nook 7.
adb shell and terminal emulator (jackpal) did not work for me.
mtk-su -s gave no output in adb or terminal emulator.

Gave Termux a shot.
Never used it before.

Attached files.
Termux mtk-su -v (mtksu-v.txt)
Termux mtk-su -s (mtksu-s.txt)
Added .zip to mtksu-v.txt to get past upload restriction. It is not zipped.
Output lines from adb terminal emulator and termux shell. (shells.txt)

Cheers.

Nice! Thanks for the feedback about the BLUs.

Yeah, it should support that tablet. The piece about 32-bit not being supported is only about 32-bit hardware. MT8163 is all good.

The problem looks like another case of stack protection gone undetected. This just happens to be something I fixed in R13 that I just uploaded. Can you test that version?

It's strange that Terminal Emulator did not work for you. What is the output of 'id' on that shell? It may have something to do with the selinux context. Either way, I have some work to do
The Following User Says Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
17th May 2019, 05:03 AM |#127  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic

OK, good to know. So it's Android 9 with MT6771.... That message means I will have to look into the firmware and tune the program to make support for it. Do you happen to have a link to the firmware and/or kernel sources of any MT6771 phone? But FYI, this is only temporary root. This isn't like installing Magisk or something.

Nice! Thanks for the feedback about the BLUs.

Yeah, it should support that tablet. The piece about 32-bit not being supported is only about 32-bit hardware. MT8163 is all good.

The problem looks like another case of stack protection gone undetected. This just happens to be something I fixed in R13 that I just uploaded. Can you test that version?

It's strange that Terminal Emulator did not work for you. What is the output of 'id' on that shell? It may have something to do with the selinux context. Either way, I have some work to do

Yes it's Android 9 with MT6771. Temp root is good enough for now. The only thing i can find is here: http://asia-sysupwsdl.vivoglobal.com...1556551958.zip

On the same subject, is there any perm root solutions for MTK SoCs? MTKDroidtool is no longer working.
17th May 2019, 06:24 AM |#128  
Thanks Meter: 536

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic

Quickly tried r13.
Sorry to say, still no root.

id
Code:
adb shell
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=2000(shell),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats),3009(readproc),3011(uhid) context=u:r:shell:s0

Terminal Emulator
uid=10080(u0_a80) gid=10080(u0_a80) groups=10080(u0_a80),3003(inet),9997(everybody),20080(u0_a80_cache),50080(all_a80) context=u:r:untrusted_app_25:s0:c512,c768

Termux
uid=10081(u0_a81) gid=10081(u0_a81) groups=3003(inet),9997(everybody),20081(u0_a81_cache),50081(all_a81)
I will have time to test tomorrow (now today) after work.
18th May 2019, 02:14 PM |#129  
Thanks Meter: 1,115

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

Quickly tried r13.
Sorry to say, still no root.

id

Code:
adb shell
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=2000(shell),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats),3009(readproc),3011(uhid) context=u:r:shell:s0

Terminal Emulator
uid=10080(u0_a80) gid=10080(u0_a80) groups=10080(u0_a80),3003(inet),9997(everybody),20080(u0_a80_cache),50080(all_a80) context=u:r:untrusted_app_25:s0:c512,c768

Termux
uid=10081(u0_a81) gid=10081(u0_a81) groups=3003(inet),9997(everybody),20081(u0_a81_cache),50081(all_a81)
I will have time to test tomorrow (now today) after work.

Here is hoping you get that nook working with MTK-SU. Because it has same soc as the about to be released tablet I was thinking of pre-ordering
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmazak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrmazak Ad-Free
18th May 2019, 10:27 PM |#130  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@mrmazak, there's already at least 7 MT8163 devices known to work with mtk-su. This problem with the Nook is specific to how the kernel on it is built. Currently working to take care of it. So that probably has nothing to do with that tablet you're talking about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
19th May 2019, 09:25 PM |#131  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningwizard

Yes it's Android 9 with MT6771. Temp root is good enough for now. The only thing i can find is here: http://asia-sysupwsdl.vivoglobal.com...1556551958.zip

On the same subject, is there any perm root solutions for MTK SoCs? MTKDroidtool is no longer working.

@shiningwizard, check your PMs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mediatek, mt67xx, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)