FORUMS

Ares 8 5.0 Upgrade to Ares 8 5.1, Everything working , normal sound.

3,241 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,638

By vampirefo, Senior Member on 29th March 2017, 09:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a guide to upgrade Nextbook Ares 8, disable encryption, and flash permanent TWRP recovery to device.
Walmart is selling the Nextbook Ares 8 for $62.52

This rom works great, and sound is now back to normal, on other roms sound worked but was very low.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-...-Core/43267399

To use, download ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip, extract and run either Linux script or Windows batch file.

Bootloader must be unlocked

fastboot/adb must be installed system wide and working.

make sure scripts are set to executable

connect tablet to pc, leave connected until tablet reboots and is ready to set up

open terminal in folder where you extracted ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip

open cmd window where you extracted ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip

Linux
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot.sh
Windows
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot_cmd.bat
That's it, takes a few minutes to install, leave connected to pc, when completed tablet will reboot to setup screen, setup and enjoy.

Download
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120720323

Credits

@N810E
@zefie
@vampirefo
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vampirefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vampirefo Ad-Free
30th March 2017, 09:31 PM |#2  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,642

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefo

This is a guide to upgrade Nextbook Ares 8, disable encryption, and flash permanent TWRP recovery to device.
Walmart is selling the Nextbook Ares 8 for $62.52

This rom works great, and sound is now back to normal, on other roms sound worked but was very low.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-...-Core/43267399

To use, download ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip, extract and run either Linux script or Windows batch file.

Bootloader must be unlocked

fastboot/adb must be installed system wide and working.

make sure scripts are set to executable

connect tablet to pc, leave connected until tablet reboots and is ready to set up

open terminal in folder where you extracted ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip

open cmd window where you extracted ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip

Linux

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot.sh
Windows
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot_cmd.bat
That's it, takes a few minutes to install, leave connected to pc, when completed tablet will reboot to setup screen, setup and enjoy.

Download
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120720323

Credits

@N810E
@zefie
@vampirefo

@vampirefo and others who contributed, this is the best rom for this 5.0 device yet. At 8 hrs. unplugged, in deep sleep, I had 98% battery left. The interactive governor deep sleep offline bug is gone. The power disconnecting, reconnecting on charge is gone also. The only issue I have noticed, so far, is that the wifi connection logo at the top is not always showing as full or 100%. That is despite being inches from my router. Furthermore, when I use mixplorer, totalcommander or quickpic to access my photos in onedrive, sometimes it is very slow, or fails to connect. When it does connect, the thumbnails are very slow to load. In the older roms this didn't happen. For me this is a minor issue, because I have other means to access onedrive from my computer. So overall this is a great improvement over the older rom. Thanks to all for your hard work and dedication to improve this device!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
30th March 2017, 09:43 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I am currently running @greatbal rom on my 5.0 it's equal to this rom, I have to remove supersu manually, I hate when a rom includes root, other than that @greatbal rom runs well on my 5.0.

By the way, did you use windows or linux to install the rom?
The Following User Says Thank You to vampirefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vampirefo Ad-Free
30th March 2017, 10:55 PM |#4  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefo

I am currently running @greatbal rom on my 5.0 it's equal to this rom, I have to remove supersu manually, I hate when a rom includes root. other than that @greatbal rom runs well on my 5.0.

By the way, did you use windows or linux to install the rom?

I used windows 7. my only experience with linux, besides Android is through bootable usb drives and cds. I have tried Ubuntu this way. The other bootable drives were mostly window repair, backup, and repartitioning disks.

One note to windows users, there are MANY, UAC promts to to approve the running of the fastboot.exe. So you have to stay with the install to approve each of the many prompts. one workaround would be to go into windows settings and temporarily disable UAC. Then, of course, re-enable it later, after the install finishes. There may be a better way to do this though. Under my fastboot.exe properties, on the compatibility tab, I had it set to always run as an administrator. Maybe that is what caused the constant prompts, not sure. And since I have the device re-partitioned and the rom installed, I don't want to go back and test that theory, since I have installed and updated many apps. It was very nice that you had the re-partitioning built into the script for the install. Just as you stated earlier, be patient, the routine takes some time, the device has not locked up.

I probably wouldn't have bought the Ares 8A, if I had had this rom for my old device. It is too late to return the 8A, now. I haven't figured out how to root the new device, without potentially messing it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
31st March 2017, 01:26 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
@vampirefo I hate to ask what is probably a stupid-ass question, but I'm still running Batville. Do I need to re-partition before installing this ROM? If so, it has been a long time since I partioned it for Batville so I'm not sure what the original setup was--can you help? Thanks for continuing to work on the device--we all appreciate it.
31st March 2017, 02:24 AM |#6  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozed99

@vampirefo I hate to ask what is probably a stupid-ass question, but I'm still running Batville. Do I need to re-partition before installing this ROM? If so, it has been a long time since I partioned it for Batville so I'm not sure what the original setup was--can you help? Thanks for continuing to work on the device--we all appreciate it.

@vampirefo included a new partition table with the files. In addition, he put the re-partitioning in the fastboot_cmd.bat, so it is automatic.
The Following User Says Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
31st March 2017, 03:42 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

@vampirefo included a new partition table with the files. In addition, he put the re-partitioning in the fastboot_cmd.bat, so it is automatic.

Is there any benefit (e.g. speed or battery life) with this rom over batville? I'm assuming that the new one is larger.
31st March 2017, 06:14 AM |#8  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:

Is there any benefit (e.g. speed or battery life) with this rom over batville? I'm assuming that the new one is larger.

See my info a few posts above. The issue I am having is with wifi, which I never had in any of the other roms.
I tested with a wifi testing app, and the link speed is good, however, the latency is fluctuating from the norm of 2 ms., all the way up to above 1000 ms. I'm not sure what would cause that, as my tablet is within inches of my wireless router. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Web browsing seems ok with Firefox and Chrome, but in apps where I access my photos stored on OneDrive, I have problems. I haven't tried any other internet apps to see if there are any issues. I can access videos with vlc, through my LAN, to my desktop computer with no problems.
1st April 2017, 01:17 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

From my personal experience, the biggest benefit is sound, I can listen to music on tablet without Bluetooth or headset.

The sound through the speaker is loud enough to enjoy.

As time permits, I plan on pulling the sound off of this and if possible apply it to my other roms, that lack good sound through speaker.

If all goes well, just applying sound patch to batville will be all that's needed for batville user's to get same sound quality, without the need to switch to this rom.

Batville is a great rom, just lacks good sound quality through speaker, I hope in time to be able to fix that, with a patch.

Sent from my Life_Max using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampirefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vampirefo Ad-Free
6th April 2017, 12:56 AM |#10  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
@vampirefo, This rom has been the best yet for my 5.0 Ares 8. The only problem I have had is with wifi connectivity. So I decided to start over. I re-ran the fastboot_cmd.bat again to reflash the rom. During the install phase it failed and bricked my device, my first. What did I do wrong to cause this?

I can boot into dnx mode and type fastboot devices, and it lists my Baytrail device. Fastboot flash commands fail with errors. adb commands don't work in this mode.

If I type: fastboot boot boot.img, it boots to uefi / bios access menu. I suspect I need a hub, a usb otg adapter, a keyboard and mouse to get the buttons to respond, though. Are there settings in this bio menu which will help me? Is there any way to recover from this that you know of?
In addition I can boot to an efi shell by holding down the home button and the power button. Unfortunately, your info on the wifi came after I did this blunder. I have a twrp backup, I can't get into it to reload the backup.
Any help recovering from this disaster will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Edit: I found this post:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4821597
Not sure where to get this file: efilinux.efi. Is it the one in your esp folder or the one in the esp.zip?
Thanks
I solved this my self by following @social-design-concepts directions, then running the fastboot_cmd.bat to re-flash the system. Anybody have any ideas what may have caused this data corruption in the first place?
6th April 2017, 07:25 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
You want me to guess what you did wrong? No ideal, seeing it worked the first time and third time for you, and everytime for me, I would guess user error.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to vampirefo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vampirefo Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)