FORUMS

Ares 8 5.0 Upgrade to Ares 8 5.1, Everything working , normal sound.

3,241 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,638

By vampirefo, Senior Member on 29th March 2017, 09:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th May 2017, 02:39 AM |#21  
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks! It's charging now. I'll give it a try.
19th May 2017, 03:18 AM |#22  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,637

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by N810E

Thanks! It's charging now. I'll give it a try.

A further note: After I did all of the above steps and rebooted into the rom to confirm that it worked, I booted into twrp recovery and did a nandroid backup of the fresh rom, incase I need to reinstall later. I did the backup before I flashed supersu and busybox. In affect, I have a clean backup so I don't risk bricking the device again reflashing the rom through fastboot. Also, if you don't have, @vampirefo recommends that you install adb/fastboot systemwide. See his link previously in this thread on how to do this.
Good luck! Let me know how it goes.
19th May 2017, 01:29 PM |#23  
Flag Cleveland

More
Success! Flashed the 2 files, then ran the .bat. It tried to reboot a few times, finally booted in to TWRP. I was able to restore a previous backup and all is well. Thanks for the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to N810E For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift N810E Ad-Free
19th May 2017, 03:59 PM |#24  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:

Success! Flashed the 2 files, then ran the .bat. It tried to reboot a few times, finally booted in to TWRP. I was able to restore a previous backup and all is well. Thanks for the help!

Glad I could help,but the thanks should also go to @social-design-concepts, as he was the one who originally posted the solution.

This is the best rom I have had for my Nextbook Ares 8 that was the original model that came with Android 5.0. Did yours come with 5.0 or 5.1.1? The only issue i still have is with wireless where sometime I have to turn off wifi, then turn it back on. I am never disconnected, it just gets to a point where packets are dropped so the thorough-put gets low. How is the wifi on yours?
Thanks
20th May 2017, 08:27 AM |#25  
Flag Cleveland

More
Mine had 5.0. Never had any issues with wifi.
20th May 2017, 02:56 PM |#26  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Thanks, such a great rom and robust script
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefo

This is a guide to upgrade Nextbook Ares 8, disable encryption, and flash permanent TWRP recovery to device.
Walmart is selling the Nextbook Ares 8 for $62.52

This rom works great, and sound is now back to normal, on other roms sound worked but was very low.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-...-Core/43267399

To use, download ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip, extract and run either Linux script or Windows batch file.

Bootloader must be unlocked

fastboot/adb must be installed system wide and working.

make sure scripts are set to executable

connect tablet to pc, leave connected until tablet reboots and is ready to set up

open terminal in folder where you extracted ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip

open cmd window where you extracted ares8_5.0_upgrade_5.1.zip

Linux

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot.sh
Windows
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot_cmd.bat
That's it, takes a few minutes to install, leave connected to pc, when completed tablet will reboot to setup screen, setup and enjoy.

Download
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120720323

Credits

@N810E
@zefie
@vampirefo

20th May 2017, 04:13 PM |#27  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:

Mine had 5.0. Never had any issues with wifi.

I never had wifi issues with the original rom, the i708q rom, or the batville rom, just the new, 5.1.1 rom.
18th January 2018, 04:38 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thank you for this awesome upgrade. This sluggish tablet has a new life. Everything works perfectly.
28th March 2019, 08:40 PM |#29  
Bootloader problem???
Hi all. 1st thanx to @vampirefo for all the work. Upgraded my 5.0 to 5.1 just 2 days ago. Worked like a charm the 1st attempt! Configured my personal settings in 5.1, then wanted to do a TWRP backup. Rebooted recovery, did backup, but while it was creating the final MD5 the tablet "froze". Let it sit for quite some time to no avail. Finally I manually rebooted it. Now the screen stays blank. No light, nada. When I plug in the charger light turns RED, then YELLOW, alternating, finally setteling on RED. When plugged into computer i can "fastboot devices" and see it. Problem is, THAT's IT. No fastboot commands work. All end with "FAILED (remote: unknown command)". Even FASTBOOT REBOOT. Tried several flavors of FASTBOOT, same result, tried Linux, same result. Have not seen the DNX mode, and don't believe I'm in that mode (but maybe???) Anyone got a suggestion? Perhaps boot from SDCARD? It does show when issued a FASTBOOT DEVICES, and reports FASTBOOT mode back to computer. But nothing else.... Very Odd.... Thanx from kc8sbs at gmail
16th April 2019, 08:06 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Success. Everything works fine.
Only thing is my Rotation is upside down. it works fine just upside down / reversed on every position. same with camera.
Is it easy to fix?
thank you!

like this : IMAGE
9th May 2019, 02:26 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, sorry but I'm new to rooting and all... I have a completely stock and new NextBook Ares 8 5.0 that I want to upgrade to 5.1(as system update doesn't work) to remove the memory leak bug, as well as to decrypt the tablet to make it faster... Can I just follow the instructions on here to achieve that? Also I am on windows, so could someone help me out on how to get started on making my tablet usable?

1) My bootloader is unlocked (since its stock and new haha), how do I unlock it?
2) Even before that... My device is not appearing in the list when I do "adb devices", even after going to Device Manager... And I didn't find any Nextbook Ares 8 drivers online... Can I just use the hard keys (Power button + Vol. Up) to go to bootloader menu and start using the commands from there?

Please and thanks...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)