FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[guide] Blu Vivo XL4 | | Vivo Xi || Vivo Xi+

2,814 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,117

By mrmazak, Senior Member on 9th December 2018, 09:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The BLU VIVO XL4 has arived.

Sorry this guide is not for very new users, it relies on certain amount of prior knowledge.

**NOTE**
Unlocking Bootloader WILL set warranty flag to "NO"
Make the read-back backup, BEFORE unlocking, so there is a possibility to restore warranty to "yes"

Getting SPFlash Tool to work on BLU VIVO XL4

I used sp flash tool version 5.18.28
Needs custom DA file and Auth file. Both have been found from a near clone device.

Open flash tool select the DA file and Auth file from the link below.
add the scatter file from archive. There is a preloader file in the archive also. This is needed for spflash tool to open the Auth file.
Stock Rom and Auth file

Then follow the guide found on youtube.

Not planning to go into too much detail about the actual pulling of the firmware, as there is already
a fantastic guide with step-by-step photos and also a video.

Just the basics
Pull stock rom with spflash tool once just from the "boot region" to get the preloader file.
Process that file with the Wwr_MTK tool to get partition table information.
And one more time pull as one large binary file from the "user region" then split it into
individual images using the tool called "Wwr_MTK" it can be found on other site(Hovatek). I cannot put a
link as it is against forum rules (no advertising other forums)
But there is a youtube video that describes the process. And gives link for download of the tool.

**NOTE-1**
The Wwr_MTK tool did not have the correct chip (mt6762 In fact the "family class" for the chip is mt6765) as an option. Because of this you will need to add it to the tool before using it. Open the downloaded zip.( I used "WwR_MTK_2.40_Eng" ). Open "Template.ini" with text editing software, in the section labeled "CPU" add "MT6765 2" , keep same format as the rest of the file. Save the changes and close Template.ini.
Now when you run the tool, you will be able to create the scatter file as you split the rom into files.

**NOTE-2**
The tool connects to internet and downloads fresh the files and scripts when you start it. There is a 30 second ad screen displayed. If you block internet to the tool, then the add screen turns into 2 minute wait screen. I am not suggesting that you hack the tool to by-pass it, just letting you know what to expect.

IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO MAKE YOUR OWN FULL BACKUP BEFORE PERFORMING THESE STEPS

AFTER YOU HAVE MADE FULL BACKUPS

Now to start modifying

DOWNLOAD

UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
unlocking bootloader is no more complicated then then enabling OEM unlock toggle in dev options menu.
Then performing Command in terminal. Just like so many android devices.
  • Unlock Bootloader
    1. Enable Developer options on phone:
    open settings--> "about device"--> click build number 5-7 times--> go back one screen in settings
    -->select more "more settings" --> scroll to bottom "Develpoer options" --> enable "usb debugging"
    2. Open cmd or power shell terminal
    3. reboot phone to bootloader with the following commands
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    4.Once the phone has finished loading into fastboot mode type this command
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    I also did --MIGHT be an optional step
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock
    Do not think both were needed.

After each command when phone was rebooted,
    it took extra time to open. But did not show the normal recovery screen while
    it did the factory reset. But a reset did happen both times,
    as I had the setup wizard each time.

Even after unlocking bootloader, doing a "fastboot boot *xyz.img" (boot or recovery test images)
    Phone would only cycle to off then do a full reboot. Doing "fastboot flash boot boot.img" does flash the boot.
    And "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" does flash the recovery.

• TWRP

1. Download TWRP From Link above
    2. Enable Developer options on phone:
    open settings--> "about device"--> click build number 5-7 times--> go back one screen in settings
    -->select "more settings" --> scroll to bottom "Develpoer options" --> enable "usb debugging"
    3. Open cmd or power shell terminal
    4. reboot phone to bootloader with the following commands
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    5. Now give the command to flash twrp, assuming you downloaded the file to default download folder
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery %userprofile%\downloads\TWRP-3_2_3-1020-OMFG-mod_b6-device-name-vivo-wipe-misc.img
    5. Reboot to twrp. Needed to boot directly to twrp, or stock recovery will be re-flashed by phone.

Code:
    fastboot oem reboot-recovery

Once inside twrp It is asking for password to unlock (decrypt)***automatic decrypt not work on this device as of YET***
this is supposed to be same password used to unlock phone.

Because this twrp does not work with encryption, every time you reboot you will have to select language, if changed from default.

To get recovery to be functional, you need to make phone patched for both "DM-Verity" and "Force-encryption"

I do this with
"Universal Disabler"
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...crypt-t3817389
There is similar utiliy built into this Recovery image.
to use the built in option , Select ADVANCED, Then RM Forceencrypt
This will flash the lazypatcher with options set to remove encryption both in boot.img and /vender/*fstab : remove dm-verity.
--OR-- manually do the following steps
  • Steps
    1. Download Zip from Link above.
    2. Open TWRP
    3. Open Wipe menu
    4. Select format /data
    5. Key in "YES" and swipe
    6. Return to Home Page of TWRP
    7. Choose reboot menu then recovery
    8. Recovery should now have access to Internal memory (temp for now)
    9. Use abd push to put the zip file downloaded above to internal memory

Code:
    adb push %userprofile%\downloads\Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_12.16.2018.zip /sdcard/
    10. Select install menu , and install the Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_12.16.2018.zip
    Do not rename the file. It installs and makes the patch base on the file name.

If you want to have root also, then flash Magisk at this point.

Now the dm-verity and force encryption are off. You can flash gsi custom rom, if you desire. At the moment, I have only been able to boot the phone with working cell data and calls on the PHH-Phusion --vanilla builds. Do not know why the gapps versions do not allow rill to function.

As of the writing of this I have put up V4 of the TWRP port. This version uses the correct mount points for this phone, not the ones from the source of the port. Also corrected the device name in default.prop, to match device name. Build fingerprint has been left as is. Fixed the micro sdcard name and OTG names. Added mipe to the "misc" /"para" partition to escape a factory reset recovery loop that [uu]could[/u] happen under certain situations.
And my prefered ported recovery from LRTeam TWRP-3_2_3-1020-OMFG-mod_b6-device-name-vivo-wipe-misc.img.

DOWNLOADS
Kernel sources have been published 12-12-2018, by BLU

I have them synced to GitHub while I make test builds.

https://github.com/mrmazakblu/BLU-VIVO-XL4-kernel

Default defconfig should be arch/arm64/config/k62mv1_64_bsp_defconfig. Based off of build description in "getprop"

Built kernel has not been able to be booted yet.

TWRP is first ported and provided thanks to @Voinea12

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OMFG-LRTeam-TWRP-PORTED.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	4690553   Click image for larger version

Name:	OMFG-LRTeam-TWRP-PORTED- (1).png
Views:	574
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	4690554   Click image for larger version

Name:	OMFG-LRTeam-TWRP-PORTED- (2).png
Views:	580
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	4690555   Click image for larger version

Name:	OMFG-LRTeam-TWRP-PORTED- (3).png
Views:	546
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	4690556  
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmazak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrmazak Ad-Free

10th December 2018, 04:51 PM |#2  
Senior Moderator - Magic Baba Vampire
Flag Darkside
Thanks Meter: 21,006

More
placeholder not really welcomed here on XDA
just pm a moderator or report this thread when you`re ready to upload something, until then, thread closed
20th December 2018, 11:09 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
After seeing that the Blu vivo xl4 requires an "auth file" in order to flash with spflash tool, I asked BLU to supply the file.

They responded with a big fat NO.

THE NEXT DAY THE FILE WAS POSTED ON A DIFFERENT THREAD.
SO THERE HELP WAS NO LONGER NEEDED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181220-143050.png
Views:	432
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	4669836  
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmazak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrmazak Ad-Free
21st December 2018, 02:31 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Just made successfull readback on preloader. and currently reading full rom.

will post link when done.

here is auth file and DA file I used.

pulled firmware is here.
there are more images in complete firmware, but the ones included should be enough , as long as you NEVER do format all from spflash tool.

STOCK ROM
22nd December 2018, 01:24 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
So far all attempts to load twrp have failed.

Also just tried to flash boot.img with the built kernel. When rebooted, phone just stayed on black screen. No back-light , nothing.
Just a repeating connect disconnect sound from pc. Long pressing power and trying to get into the bootloader menu failed.

Was able to Que up sp flash tool and keep holding the volume down button , on the next time it cycled on off preloader was caught and i was able to flash back the correct boot.img.

Working version is available now
22nd December 2018, 01:58 PM |#6  
Forum Moderator
Flag A hammock somewhere in the woods...
Thanks Meter: 1,251

More
Thread was opened.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattgyver For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mattgyver Ad-Free
22nd December 2018, 04:50 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazak

So far all attempts to load twrp have failed.

Also just tried to flash boot.img with the built kernel. When rebooted, phone just stayed on black screen. No back-light , nothing.
Just a repeating connect disconnect sound from pc. Long pressing power and trying to get into the bootloader menu failed.

Was able to Que up sp flash tool and keep holding the volume down button , on the next time it cycled on off preloader was caught and i was able to flash back the correct boot.img.

My streak with SP Flash is still a losing one, the auth file works for my phone as well (Blu Vivo XI+), I just used the preloader.img that was in the update.zip and ran it through the WwR MTK Tool and got the preloader.bin to go with the auth file as you indicated you had done, that was one hurdle that your post helped me solve, but for some reason when I start reading the full rom I get about 6-10 MB into it and then it disconnects from my phone and stops. Not sure if its driver related or what, which drivers did you use for the readback?
22nd December 2018, 04:59 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofad

My streak with SP Flash is still a losing one, the auth file works for my phone as well (Blu Vivo XI+), I just used the preloader.img that was in the update.zip and ran it through the WwR MTK Tool and got the preloader.bin to go with the auth file as you indicated you had done, that was one hurdle that your post helped me solve, but for some reason when I start reading the full rom I get about 6-10 MB into it and then it disconnects from my phone and stops. Not sure if its driver related or what, which drivers did you use for the readback?

To be honest I have not installed driver specific for this. I have vcomm drivers installed, same from couple years ago.

Is the readback stopping because you set wrong hex address length in the readback tab?
22nd December 2018, 06:53 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazak

To be honest I have not installed driver specific for this. I have vcomm drivers installed, same from couple years ago.

Is the readback stopping because you set wrong hex address length in the readback tab?

No, I got the readback of the EMMC_USER just fine and ran it through the WwR MTK tool and it gave me the hex address to use for the full rom readback, t then told me
Code:
The file size is smaller than the start position of the LK (uboot). To determine the type of processor and memory, it is necessary to read the full firmware in the SP Flash Tool, specify the parameters for reading: Start address: 0x0, Lenght: 0x1D1EC00000.

So I entered those two addresses as EMMC_USER readback. If my phone is off and I just connect it to the usb without holding any keys it gives me another error.....and I'm an idiot. just figured it out as I was looking at logs, apparently I must have changed the usb speed in sp flash which changes it's pid causing it to try and read from another port. It's downloading now :P
24th December 2018, 05:18 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks to @hanuma there is now a material themed twrp port.

The V2 version loads. But has no adb or mtp access

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...1&postcount=95

https://mega.nz/#F!225EzQwT!t8hvGvmFoNYNvXev-Li1fQ
27th December 2018, 09:20 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
******EDIT*****
Most of the following problems did not repeat in same way when I tried to repeat the install process.
Main issue was with simcard. But exact process to get installed and working is still not known.

-- install after already having rooted, encryption removed stock, seems to work.

-- fresh full stock rom, full encryption, then gsi seems to not work sim card.

PHH-treble gsi images do boot this device. I do not have a bug list as yet.
  • working:WITH encryption removed:

1. wifi
    2. camera
    3. fingerprint- unlock
    4. music
    5. video
  • NOT working :WITH encyyption removed:

1. cell signal
    2. cell data
    3. phone
    4. sms
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • working:WITH encryption enabled

1. phone
    2. sms
  • NOT working:WITH encryption enabled

1.. everything else

EDIT

Much of the force closing problems were from a corrupted external sdcard. When I removed the card , the force close messages did not come.

Getting 4G data connection was not stable. after a full reset and rom re-install I was not able to get data connection, and only able to have connection to make calls when set to 3G connection only.

some bugs in vendor I assume will need some help solving this.

EDIT 2

Finally got around to trying again. his time I started with vanilla version of phh-treble gsi.

4G data and sms, calls in out all work. Camera , video both work.
WiFi tethering did not work.

Setup that worked :
force encryption removed with universal dm-verity patcher, ( bothboot.img and vendor partitions both edited).
magisk patched boot
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
blu-vivo-xl4, vivo-xi, xl4

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)